IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Some general (reliability/suspensions) questions.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 12:55 AM
Infini V
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some general (reliability/suspensions) questions.......

Im sorry if these have been covered before but I tried to pick up as much as I could from searching.

1. What type of LSD's did the IS's which were equipped with them, come with? helical, clutch, viscous, etc?

2. This car being my daily driver, and as temperatures get pretty high in the South CA area, are there any weak spots in particular the car is prone too? Being an RX-7 owner, my thoughts are on heat. Is the engine known to suffer from any cooling problems? Are there any "reliability" mods which would make gains from the factory setup?

3. How strong are the transmissions? Mine is an AT. Is there a known mean mileage for transmission failures?

4. Anyone know the factory alignment numbers?

Lastly, in regards to the suspension, quite some time ago, I saw a picture of the cars rear subframe and the bolting point for the rear toe control link was slotted, acting as a sort of passive rear steer system. It was compared to a TRD type which had a welded piece of metal covering the slotted area, fixing the rear toe links position. Is this basically how it works? Does anyone know the range of toe that occurs because of this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-06, 08:05 PM
GeIS300
Driver

I don't know the answer to #1 or #4.. but I can weigh in on 2 and 3.

The car has no real issue. When you back up and apply the brakes, you might get a click as the brake stops / pads are shiftting to the forward position. No overheating issues on non turbocharged cars that I've heard of. It's kind of a pig on gas 18 / 24 mpg, The radio is known to die, but the other electricals are up to Lexus quality. I've heard about high mileage cars >150k miles without major problems.

The automatic transmission is surprisingly strong. Most people who turbocharge get a valve body upgrade and a transmission fluid cooler and they're holding 400+ rwhp with boost just fine and dandy. If anything, I hear the LSD can get worn out with high hp but pretty rare.

Hope that helps... I'm sure others will chime in.

Cheers and welcome to clublexus forums.

Max
Old 07-12-06, 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

1) i believe it's torsen

2) the car has no engine problem at all. this engine has no FI, so unless something is really wrong with the engine, you shouldn't have overheat problem

3) the AT tranny is strong, it can hold 400rwhp no problem

4) um that i don't know... but i guess any alignment shop can give you the info?
Old 07-13-06, 01:43 PM
Infini V
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the heads up. I checked and it seems I've got the torsen diff on mine. Knowing this, Im confident about its reliability because I've swapped one in my RX-7 and holds up fine with over 300whp and R compounds.
Old 07-13-06, 10:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

oh you shouldn't have to worry about the one on the is300, it should be pretty damn strong.

keep in mind there is a lsd unit (also torsen) by toyota on the supra tt
Old 07-19-06, 01:21 AM
Infini V
Driver School Candidate

haha right. Should be no problem.

Thanks for the answers!