Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 05:29 PM
LexLicious
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problem with stock 6-disc CD changer

Hey guys...
I have a problem.
Yesterday night, I ejected a CD from my deck, and this morning when I had loaded it back in, a whiring noise occurred. I then tried ejecting the cd, but nothing happened, so I moved up to disc slots # 2-6 and ejected those. They all came out easily. Going back to disc 1, the same noise was made. It read "1error1", and still would not let me eject it. The weird part about it is that the disc 1 symbol disappeared after I ejecting the other 5 cds. So being the smart person I am (sarcastically) I loaded another disc into the changer (it loaded into slot 1). The same thing happened with disc 1, and too read "2error2". So now there are 2 discs stuck in slot number 1, which are refusing to eject or play.

What should I do?

Should I go down to the dealer and get it checked? How would they treat me since I did not purchase my car from a dealership?

Any suggestions on what to do or where to go to get this problem fixed?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-05, 06:39 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is a common enough problem with the IS 6-cd changer, I think there are several threads on it where the disc trays have become stuck. The dealer should be able to fix it for you.
Old 05-23-05, 09:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah common problem about the cd player with cd jammed inside, i have rear about them.

if you have warranty, just bring the car in and they will replace the whole unit
Old 05-24-05, 09:47 AM
irv_usc
Lead Lap

the whirring noise is when the cd grabber misgrabs the cd. what happens next is your disc will fall from the tray. if you're lucky it'll fall to the bottom of the changer, then the rest of the changer will work like normal.

i see that you weren't lucky, and two of the discs are now stuck together. you can take it apart yourself, and get them out, or go to the dealer, where they will probably scratch up your dash and lose your discs.
Old 05-24-05, 06:19 PM
LexLicious
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by irv_usc
the whirring noise is when the cd grabber misgrabs the cd. what happens next is your disc will fall from the tray. if you're lucky it'll fall to the bottom of the changer, then the rest of the changer will work like normal.

i see that you weren't lucky, and two of the discs are now stuck together. you can take it apart yourself, and get them out, or go to the dealer, where they will probably scratch up your dash and lose your discs.
It was really helpful to know that this problem is common between other lexus owners. I was worried it was only me!

Anyways, thank you all for sharing with me your inputs and suggestions on how to fix this problem. After reading them, I tried once again to remove the CD, and it worked. I managed to remove one of the two discs stuck in the changer, and this morning I took a risk by loading it back in to see if it would play. It did!
So as of this moment, i'm still working on getting disc 2 out, but for now it's okay. I will be sure to get it checked at the dealer asap, or once school is done and over with, i'll go ahead with the tutorial on the removal of the changer. *YIKES* I hope it's not as hard as it sounds.

Thanks for all the help once again.
Old 10-07-15, 03:26 AM
Engel
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS430 CD changer question

Hi all.
Is there any way to disconnect the power to the CD changer from the main part of the head unit without losing functionality of Radio/Cassette/Nav systems?
The CD changer (Mark Levinson, ie: Pioneer FX-MG9587zt), loudly rattles and chatters away for about 30 seconds (3 lots of 10 seconds each with a 3 second gap in between each), on power up or power down, and is driving us mad. I've installed a Vaistech MML unit for all our music on one flash drive, so the CD player is redundant. But annoying.
There are multiple fuses feeding the CD/head unit, but I suspect the are multiple function, as I haven't found a single fuse which kills just the CD on its own.
Help???
Alternately, does anyone know how to actually repair the rattling CD player? There are a number of companies who will do the repair for about $150 - $180, so it must be a fairly common, simple fault, easily fixed.
But as I'm in Australia, I can't afford to drive around with a gaping hole in the dashboard, with no touchscreen functionality (I assume) for up to a month, while the unit is being shipped/repaired/shipped to and from the USA.
I have the Pioneer repair manual which shows how to disassemble it, but how do I find the fault and repair it myself?
Third option: Is there a 6 CD changer unit (or even a single) like the factory one, which I could replace it with?
Cheers,
Engel.
Old 10-07-15, 06:21 PM
jaredmac11
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just dont think these are very good radios. I bought my is300 in 2009, in 2010, the changer consistently 'ate' CDs. Eventually FM radio went out, then AM radio. I replaced the entire thing with an aftermarket radio. I would suggest the same because the dealer wanted something RIDICULOUS for the radio repair.

edit: Car aesthetics is important to me, so I wanted a double din stereo that could match the orange lights of the dash and console. I ended up grabbing this radio:
Amazon.com: Kenwood DPX500BT Double DIN In-Dash Car Stereo Receiver: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Kenwood DPX500BT Double DIN In-Dash Car Stereo Receiver: Car Electronics

It has several colors you can change it to, but there is an orange that is almost an identical match to the car at night. It's not a touch screen so it wasn't something that was likely to get stolen either. More importantly, I could finally get bluetooth.

There is a dashkit too which will give the radio a factory feel.
Amazon.com : Scosche Dash Kit for 2001-Up Lexus Is300 2 Cd Pocket Iso Kit : Vehicle Receiver Universal Mounting Kits : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Scosche Dash Kit for 2001-Up Lexus Is300 2 Cd Pocket Iso Kit : Vehicle Receiver Universal Mounting Kits : Car Electronics

Good luck! I can understand wanting to keep the original, just know it can break again and eventually other components will fail too.

Last edited by jaredmac11; 10-07-15 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-07-18, 10:22 PM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How old is this thread? DISCS hit plastic door!!!

My cd changer in 2002 sc has that little black door/logo pfinted piece of black plastic, thing which is supposed to swing up before disc is ejected...it doesn't rotate up quite enough when ejecting, so I end up with the disc stuck inside, pinned to its plastic, which eventually gets error coded, "no disc" and now, no selection of the cd with the mode controls at all!!! I would love to just remove that spring loaded slot cover, but methinks it may have sensors to tell if it openes completey-for a while I was able to catch the center part of it as it rotated up and finger push it the rest of the way (i.e it must have worn springs)...but I couldn't keep it from fatique, esp. when I didn't use it for months!
Is there anything detrimental in ripppng out that door-other than more dust/air going in? I can just see Lexus wanting $1500 to remove and replace raido (if not more).. BONUS if anyone can provide full list of what I can replace the stock head with, if not the nav screen AND make it able to play dvds on the fly!!!