IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Power Steering Pulley Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-23, 07:32 PM
seouless
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pulley Install

Evening everyone, I was working on my power steering pump replacement. Didn’t get it OEM cause it was way too expensive compared to if I pulled it from a junkyard.

Struggling to get the pulley on since I know it’s splined and machine press fitted on there.

Is there any other way to get the pulley on the pump? Most install tools are for other pulleys, and I only see pullers on auto sites.
Old 04-14-23, 10:50 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 755 Likes on 631 Posts

Hello,

What happened to the original pump?

The pulley should basically slide on there for the most part, them you tighten it with the nut. If the OEM pulley doesn't fit at all on the pump you got, it would raise suspicion about its quality. If your OEM pump is just leaking, but works fine, you can get an OEM rebuild kit, Part Number is 04446-30120, if the pump is bad, get a used one and rebuild it, that would be a more viable option than a lot of aftermarket ones.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 04-14-23, 10:55 PM
seouless
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

What happened to the original pump?

The pulley should basically slide on there for the most part, them you tighten it with the nut. If the OEM pulley doesn't fit at all on the pump you got, it would raise suspicion about its quality. If your OEM pump is just leaking, but works fine, you can get an OEM rebuild kit, Part Number is 04446-30120, if the pump is bad, get a used one and rebuild it, that would be a more viable option than a lot of aftermarket ones.

we swapped it with a pump off a junk IS. I tried to keep the pulley in good condition but someone at the auto store scored it with a 3 arm puller and I deemed it too unsafe to reuse.

I got the new pump on, but struggling with they pulley. Unsure if sliding the pulley on the pump, then slowly tightening the nut for the pulley will press it on, but I’m not trying to damage the teeth for both the new pulley and shaft.
Old 04-14-23, 10:58 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 755 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by seouless
I got the new pump on, but struggling with they pulley. Unsure if sliding the pulley on the pump, then slowly tightening the nut for the pulley will press it on, but I’m not trying to damage the teeth for both the new pulley and shaft.
A picture of the pump with the pulley would be helpful. So long as you get it most of the way on, and with the Front of the pulley facing the correct way, you shouldn't need to "press" it into place, it is supposed to bottom out on the shaft.

Old 04-14-23, 11:08 PM
seouless
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Arsenii
A picture of the pump with the pulley would be helpful. So long as you get it most of the way on, and with the Front of the pulley facing the correct way, you shouldn't need to "press" it into place, it is supposed to bottom out on the shaft.

I’ll try and provide a picture after work.
After my OEM pulley from my new pump that I got from a junk car was damaged by a random stranger at the auto store, I decided to buy driftmotion’s pulley kit. The pulley kit is a non-underdrive option as I saw no point in that feature for my driving needs. I ensured the pulley I’m installing fit the shaft that’s on the pump. It’s able to slide onto the shaft, catching the teeth, spinning with the shaft but it doesn’t bottom out even after trying to force it in with the nut or giving it a little push.