Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Advice on NX350H v Rav4 Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-22, 10:35 AM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Advice on NX350H v Rav4 Hybrid

Morning - hope to get some honest feedback on a decision we're making. For context, a little background. My wife and I are both retired and do most of our driving together, with me as primary driver. I have a 2015 NX200t AWD that just hit 100K and my wife had a 2016 Corolla that was unfortunately totaled due to another driver not paying attention.

We've decided to not replace the Corolla and want to upgrade to the better mileage and safety features of a 2022 model, trading in the 2015NX. I'm very comfortable with tech but my wife is not, to the point that she doesn't feel comfortable driving the 2015 NX. We recently met with a Lexus salesperson who related how integrated the tech is in the NX350H (ie "Hey Lexus" commands), which sold my wife on the NX rather than the Rav4 Hybrid.

So to my question to those familiar with both models...is the tech really that seamless? As I read some of the issue on this forum it made me start to question the decision. We're on waitlists for both the Rav4 Hybrid and 350H. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.
Old 08-10-22, 10:56 AM
T24A
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Can she use a smartphone? That is really what the tech in the lexus feels like and yea it becomes pretty second nature once you have them configure it for you. One thing to consider is that I have the non heads up display steering wheel, and that has regular buttons, the Heads up display has some weird touch sensitive buttons that arent that intuitive.

I would say the NX hybrid is the better choice, hands down.
The following 2 users liked this post by T24A:
Doug007 (08-10-22), LStoneX (08-10-22)
Old 08-10-22, 08:13 PM
lsft
Instructor

Received 554 Likes on 371 Posts

The 2023 RAV4 will most likely get the same system. The Toyota Media system. Instead of hey Lexus, it will be hey Toyota. Overall, the Lexus will have a better driving experience in comparison.

If you owned a Lexus NX, I'll say the Lexus will be better experience. You will find the RAV4 more noiser and just not the same. It's hard to go back to Toyota once you drive a good Lexus. The fit and finish is just very different.
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (08-11-22)
Old 08-10-22, 09:42 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 326 Posts
Lightbulb will knw much more in a month

I can give you a more definitive answer in A couple of weeks. ( just pick up my 2022 Lexus N 350h Luxury last week and I a going to pick up a 2022 RAV4 Hybrid Limited next Monday.

The NX is a little more luxurious, quieter, and is mostly touch screen oriented with a few hard buttons. The RAV4 is basically the same car, as Toyota's version, and still retains most of the traditional buttons. Most RAV4s have some sore of dealer-required packages or ADM ( if you can find a dealer without either you are lucky, whereas the NX hybrid 350h is closer to MSRP most places). So the real difference in cost for a fully loaded NX 350h and a RAV4 hybrid limited with the $3K advanced technology package ( the only way to get Navigation on the RAV4) difference is around $10,000. (this widens to around $13,000 without ADM or required dealer packages on a RAV4 hybrid).

YMMV,
MidCow3

P, S. - In my case I understand Lexus adds gobs and gobs of technology to the drive interface that IMHO were absolutely not needed. They tried to solve a problem with technology that didn't exist. I set up one profile, and put my Lexus digital key in a drawer with my spare key (they probably will never be used), I did set up the digital app for navigation purposes, but most of the remote stuff is not needed or I will never use. ( I have had remote apps before and IMHO they really don't provide any benefit. I can see a remote start benefit if I live in a cold climate and my car wasn't garaged).

My Result, by keeping it straightforward and simple as I recommended to others before I even had a NX is that I encountered NO profile or seat memory, profile, or start-up problems. However, in my case 99.5% of the ti,e I will be the only driver.
Doug007 (08-11-22)
Old 08-11-22, 06:00 AM
Lexus22563
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

I test drove the 2022 rav4 hybrid limited, I noticed the road noise. I am glad I got the 350h premium with 14 inch screen. The ride is nicer and quieter for sure. These two things alone make the 350h the better choice. Plus getting 44 or 45mpg last few tankfuls of gas.
Doug007 (08-11-22)
Old 08-14-22, 01:13 PM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus22563
I test drove the 2022 rav4 hybrid limited, I noticed the road noise. I am glad I got the 350h premium with 14 inch screen. The ride is nicer and quieter for sure. These two things alone make the 350h the better choice. Plus getting 44 or 45mpg last few tankfuls of gas.
I’m averaging 36.5 so far, but still on first tank!
Old 08-14-22, 02:14 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 691 Posts

Since this is a Lexus forum, it is reasonable to expect a Lexus bias. I can add a slightly different perspective.

For over 15 years, I exclusively drove a variety of Lexus vehicles (4 of them). A few years ago, I was looking to replace my aging Lexus GX with something smaller and more fuel efficient. My initial thought was to get an NX Hybrid, but I was waiting for Lexus to replace the fist generation NX with a 2nd generation NX. Since Toyota had already introduced the 5th generation RAV4, I figured that Lexus would only be a year or 2 behind with introducing a new generation of the NX.

In late 2020, when Lexus still had not introduced a 2nd generation of the NX, I decided that I couldn't wait any longer, and I bought a 2021 RAV4 Limited Hybrid.

While I thought I would miss some of the pampered feeling that my Lexus vehicles had offered, that has not been the case. There are 2 or 3 features that the 2nd generation NX has that my RAV4 doesn't have, but they are minor things that I don't really miss at all.

As far as quietness is concerned, my RAV4 Hybrid has about the same level of noise as any of the Lexus vehicles that I owned (3 ES and 1 GX). Road noise is minimal, and there is virtually no wind noise. Much of the time, the RAV4 is either operating with full battery power or, at least, with partial power provided by the battery, and any engine noise is quite minimal because the ICE is running at lower RPM. At highway speeds, where the ICE is running more and at higher RPM, there is a bit more engine noise, but Toyota added sound insulation, I believe with the 2021 models, that makes the engine noise, even at highway speeds, not objectionable at all.

Even if I was deciding to buy either an NXh or RAV4 Hybrid today, with the 2nd generation NX now available, I'd probably still buy the RAV4. A major reason is the available space behind the 2nd row seats. I have a medium-large (50 pound) dog. With the RAV4, I have plenty of room behind the 2nd row seats for a crate for the dog or, without the crate, she has plenty of room. With the NX's significantly more sloped roof line, room behind the second row seats is significantly smaller than it is with the RAV4. With an NX, I would need to have the 2nd row seats folded down to accommodate the crate, and, even without the crate, I would have to fold down the 2nd row seats so that she would have enough room to allow her to stand up fully and to move around a bit.

Even without the dog, I appreciate the extra room behind the 2nd row seats that allows me to haul lots of other things that I would not be able to fit into the NX without folding down the 2nd row seats.

Also, the RAV4 Hybrid weighs a bit less than the NXh does, which allows for a bit better fuel economy. With my RAV4 Hybrid, over almost 2 years of ownership, I've averaged well over 50 mpg during the spring, summer, and fall. With all hybrids, fuel economy drops significantly during extreme cold weather, and that has been true with my RAV4 Hybrid. Still, with winter driving in the Upper Midwest and temperatures that can drop well below 0 F, I've still averaged in the mid to high 30s or lower 40 mpg range during the winter.
Doug007 (10-10-22)
Old 08-14-22, 02:31 PM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkaplan
That will improve. Getting 45 on trips and 45-55 locally with back roads and slow traffic ( live in a resort area).
Old 08-14-22, 03:13 PM
Fifteenkey
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

RAV4 info screen a deal breaker for me.

gcskoor (08-15-22)
Old 08-14-22, 04:42 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Fifteenkey
Ditto. We were considering both. My wife is currently in a Rav4 that she loves and would easily take another. We were disappointed with the infotainment though. If the NX wasn't so much better we probably would have done Rav4. My wife was leaning Rav4, I was leaning NX.
But each person has different priorities, so if that isn't an issue, I agree. Extra storage and some other things make Rav4 pretty compelling.
Doug007 (10-10-22)
Old 08-14-22, 05:13 PM
Lexus22563
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkaplan
your mpg will get better. Break it in properly. No high speeds past 65 for first 1000 miles or so.and change your oil at 1000 miles. The toyota car care nut recommended this. I followed his advice and getting excellent mpg. Also I believe your car learns your routes and adjusts

Last edited by Lexus22563; 08-14-22 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-14-22, 05:28 PM
DenverRx
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts

I bought a NX350h a few months ago & love it. My wife really wants a Rav4 hybrid & I convinced her to wait for the 2023 because of the updated infotainment system. The NX makes more HP because of the larger front electric motor, but the 0-60 time is the same between vehicles, because the RAV is lighter (& probably gets better MPG). I NEVER use the Lexus NAV, nor "Hey Lexus" ("I'm too hot" and can't reach 14" to the temp control). I DO use wireless Android Auto ("Hey Google") for directions & Nav a lot. I believe wireless Android/Apple in the 2023 RAV should be identical to the Lexus. I'm excited for my wife, but dreading going thru getting on a dozen waiting lists & dealing with dealers who want thousands over MSRP & dealer add-on's.
Doug007 (10-10-22)
Old 08-15-22, 07:01 AM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm getting increasingly interested in what the Rav4 2023 year will bring.
For me the NX has superior infotainment in looks and performance. If Rav4 gets similar performance, I may be able to adapt to the looks.
Seat comfort and ride comfort would be the next big differences I care about. I'm sure NX is better, but I may be tempted to check out the Rav4 for comparison.
My wife prefers several things on the Rav4 and she has been in a Rav4 for 15 years. She may just prefer to keep it that way.
Doug007 (10-10-22)
Old 08-15-22, 09:07 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

At one point the markup on the Rav4 was so high that it was almost the price of the Lexus NX. Not sure if that's still the case.
Old 08-15-22, 12:39 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 326 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Fifteenkey
While I really like my NX screen; the RAV is much more intuitive and functional. Are you saying the RAV4 screen is the deal breaker or the NX. The only thing I dislike about the NX acreen is that is has no "home" equivalent where multiple functions , i.e. three small split screens, can be displayed.
dklanecky1 (08-16-22)

Quick Reply: Advice on NX350H v Rav4 Hybrid