Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Honestly, how bad is the CVT engine on hybrid models?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-22, 09:59 AM
noad
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honestly, how bad is the CVT engine on hybrid models?

Trying to determine if I should buy a hybrid or a regular. Those that are already driving hybrid models already, please let me know how bad the CVT engine noise is from the driver seat. Once I drove a hybrid UX model for a week and its continuous buzzing CVT noise drove me almost crazy. Is the new NX hybrids as bad as UX? Please be honest since this will not be a cheap investment. I can test drive but I want to hear from those that has been driving for a little while daily. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-10-22, 10:09 AM
slowdonald
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It's not bad at all. The cabin is much quieter than my Ct200h was, so the drone isn't as pronounced. Doesn't bother me or my wife who drives it a hundred or so miles daily for her commute.

You really need to test drive it and gauge for yourself. I have zero issues with it, but I'm also used to Toyota/Lexus CVTs.
The following 2 users liked this post by slowdonald:
noad (05-10-22), nx450plus (05-10-22)
Old 05-10-22, 11:29 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 847 Likes on 640 Posts

Quick clarification, Continuously Variable Transmissions - CVT don't make any noises,
you are certainly asking about the Internal Combustion Engine noise, right? We all grew
up expecting to hear a big burst of sound followed by a big rush of acceleration. Nice turbo
car may even give you a nice crackle of sound when you deaccelerate also!

IC engines all have a sweet spot in the RPM range that is most efficient, every spec sheet
lists the Torque Peak such as 295 lbs/foot @ 2100 RPM. Conventional stepped gear transmissions
attempt to keep the engine near that speed, lower RPM just creates heat, higher RPM just creates noise.

What may disturb you initially when experiencing a car with a CVT (there are non-hybrids w/CVT's) is the
sound(s) may not synchronize with the seat of your pants sensations. No engine sounds when accelerating
normally, sudden surge of unexpectedly high RPM not matched by your speed gains and then the disconnected
sensation while cruising as the engine stays steady regardless of speed.

Consider the throttle settings on a Jet Airliner, pilot sets the throttles to the most efficient level for the weight and
altitude the plane is going to fly in...and leaves them there. Roll out, rotate and climb out. Once up at cruise the throttles
are pulled back...and stay there till decent. I hope you can buy into the advantages and join us in enjoying the differences
that our Hybrids with CVT's provide. There are a variety of Hybrid specific sounds that you will hear also. The emission
systems pump up and relieve pressures, the Motor Generators MG1 and MG2 make a whirring or whining sound when
regenerating electricity while coasting.

The following 2 users liked this post by mcomer:
DDGNX (05-10-22), LStoneX (05-11-22)
Old 05-10-22, 01:00 PM
truciet
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're incorrect. CVT's do make noise. It's the famous "droning" noise. As previous poster said, cabin is much quieter compared to the CT200h. But you can still hear the droning noise in a NX350h. Just not as annoying.
The following users liked this post:
B0077144 (05-11-22)
Old 05-10-22, 01:40 PM
Lakerstrg
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You shouldn't be driving a hybrid like a normal ice. Take your foot off the gas to allow rpm to drop into ev mode then just tap gas to keep in ev and repeat once engine comes back in to play. May sound involved but it's not.

Mrnovanova (05-10-22)
Old 05-10-22, 02:33 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,099 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by truciet
You're incorrect. CVT's do make noise. It's the famous "droning" noise. As previous poster said, cabin is much quieter compared to the CT200h. But you can still hear the droning noise in a NX350h. Just not as annoying.
Two hybrids a ES and a RX. Hear nothing from the CVT. Interesting those that say shifting through five six eight gears etc is smoother than not shifting at all with a CVT. Would never go back to a ICE.

Last edited by Freds430; 05-10-22 at 02:51 PM.
mcomer (05-10-22)
Old 05-10-22, 03:50 PM
Lexus22563
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

I am perfectly happy with my 350h. I test drove a 2021 Rav4 hybrid limited and the road noise was loud. The 350h is much quieter.
I find that at cruising highway speed, the electric motor works with the engine and is a smooth decent quiet ride. Is it silent? Of course not.
i was worried about the CVT but now my worries are gone. Being a modest driver with a light foot, this NX to me is smooth, quiet enough, has enough power and has great gas mileage. Getting about 41.9 mpg so far after 1800 miles.
but to make sure it makes you feel good. Try to test drive one. By the way I have the premium trim with 18 inch wheels. Also when in EV mode it is very quiet.

Last edited by Lexus22563; 05-10-22 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-10-22, 04:33 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerstrg
You shouldn't be driving a hybrid like a normal ice. Take your foot off the gas to allow rpm to drop into ev mode then just tap gas to keep in ev and repeat once engine comes back in to play. May sound involved but it's not.
Why wont my 2022 NX 350H go into EV MODE anytime EV MODE is available?

If I am driving down my street at 10 mph, and the car is warned up (what is the quickest way in settings to see how charged the hybrid battery is?) but it is NOT in EV MODE and I hit the button and it goes into EV MODE, why didn't it do this by itself automatically and this happens a lot, am I missing a setting or are they designed this way? I had a highlander hybrid for 7 yrs and it also would not go into EV MODE as often as it should have.

Old 05-10-22, 04:40 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lakerstrg

If I am driving down my street at 10 mph, and the car is warned up (what is the quickest way in settings to see how charged the hybrid battery is?) but it is NOT in EV MODE and I hit the button and it goes into EV MODE, why didn't it do this by itself automatically and this happens a lot, am I missing a setting or are they designed this way? I had a highlander hybrid for 7 yrs and it also would not go into EV MODE as often as it should have.

Old 05-10-22, 05:13 PM
Mrnovanova
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs

Just give the gas pedal a firm push and let go. It'll go into EV mode and gently press the gas pedal to maintain your EV state. Press too hard it'll go away. If your going downhill it'll tolerate a harder press. That's what works for me and I'm averaging 5.7L/100km or 49 MPG (Imperial).
B0077144 (05-11-22)
Old 05-10-22, 07:10 PM
Lakerstrg
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs

I've never had any success with pressing the actual ev mode button either. I don't have my NX yet but I do drive my wife's UX from time to time and I've noticed after keeping foot on gas, letting go at the right time will in most cases turn ev mode on and after that you continue tapping the gas every now and then to maintain EV mode until the engine kicks in again which you would then just repeat. Don't keep constantly tap the gas though, kinda hard to explain but you should be able to gauge when to add a light tap to the gas to maintain EV
Old 05-10-22, 07:22 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mrnovanova
Just give the gas pedal a firm push and let go. It'll go into EV mode and gently press the gas pedal to maintain your EV state. Press too hard it'll go away. If your going downhill it'll tolerate a harder press. That's what works for me and I'm averaging 5.7L/100km or 49 MPG (Imperial).
So for my car that is not a plug in, just making sure we are talking about the same car, you are saying if I am going slow, under 20 mph I think, and instead of hitting the EV MODE button just tap the accelerator?

Old 05-11-22, 11:45 AM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 188 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Two hybrids a ES and a RX. Hear nothing from the CVT. Interesting those that say shifting through five six eight gears etc is smoother than not shifting at all with a CVT. Would never go back to a ICE.
You do realize that these hybrids are all ICE cars right? It uses batteries to supplement the engine on low speed and/or low stress driving.
CVT refers to a specific transmission architecture, like DSG, 6-10 speed slush box.....
Old 05-11-22, 11:53 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,099 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsc4
You do realize that these hybrids are all ICE cars right? It uses batteries to supplement the engine on low speed and/or low stress driving.
CVT refers to a specific transmission architecture, like DSG, 6-10 speed slush box.....
And what does this have to do with the quiteness or smoothness of the CVT.
Old 05-11-22, 11:59 AM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 188 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
And what does this have to do with the quiteness or smoothness of the CVT.
Nothing, I am not knocking the quietness or smoothness of the CVT. Unless you converted you ES300H and RX450H to pure EV propulsion, the fact of matter is you are driving a ICE when you mentioned "Would never go back to a ICE". Just sounds strange to me.

Quick Reply: Honestly, how bad is the CVT engine on hybrid models?