Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Serpentine Belt ES300h ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 08:38 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Serpentine Belt ES300h ?

HI i thought that the Hyrbid did not have a Serpentine Belt for my 2016 ES300h
If this is true then how come I found this on MyLParts.com the lexus dealership that sells parts is showing there is a Serpentine Belt for my 2016 ES300h ?

https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...dHJpYy1nYXM%3D
Old 08-12-20, 01:26 PM
RogueXI
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's just a catalog error. The hybrid engine doesn't have fan belts. Look at the notes for this part. The belt is only for the ES350/gas-only engine.

The following users liked this post:
ThumperPup (08-12-20)
Old 08-12-20, 06:01 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Thanks for confirming this cause I was confused about it on why the Lexus dealer website for pets was saying it was but everything I could think I remember was saying it doesn’t
thank you
Originally Posted by RogueXI
I'm pretty sure it's just a catalog error. The hybrid engine doesn't have fan belts. Look at the notes for this part. The belt is only for the ES350/gas-only engine.

Old 08-12-20, 08:56 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 705 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueXI

It is also showing it for the 6 cylinder engine. The hybrid has a 4. Definitely a catalog error.
Old 08-13-20, 01:09 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

so i just heard back from my dealership i go to and they said yes and no they confirmed like like you guys said no serpentine belt but they said there still is a drive belt that my car has that should be changed and it would be 169.00 I don't understand what this is anyone know ?
Old 08-13-20, 01:21 PM
Eslader
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, in the old days anyway, a drive belt was a straight one-to-one connection. It went from the crankshaft pulley to, say, the alternator pulley. Then there was another one going from the crankshaft pulley to the water pump pulley (unless the water pump was driven off of the timing belt as in a lot of Japanese cars). If you also had an air conditioner, you'd have 3 drive belts on the crankshaft pulley. One to the alternator pulley, one to the water pump pulley, and one to the AC pulley. This could get messy if you had a bunch of pulleys that needed to be connected and often led to several pulleys having 2 belts off of them - one coming in from the crankshaft pulley, and one going out to some other accessory.

It was especially annoying when the farthest-back belt would break, because you'd have to take all the other belts off to get down to the one that needed replacement. And we didn't have auto-tensioners in those days so you'd have to re-tighten each belt by hand with a crowbar, and pretty soon a broken drive belt ends up with you wasting a whole afternoon futzing around with belts.

A serpentine belt is more flexible so that it can twist around and connect all of the pulleys in the engine with just one belt. Makes life easier on everyone involved, but isn't necessary if you don't have multiple pulleys.
Old 08-13-20, 02:52 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
so i just heard back from my dealership i go to and they said yes and no they confirmed like like you guys said no serpentine belt but they said there still is a drive belt that my car has that should be changed and it would be 169.00 I don't understand what this is anyone know ?
I am not aware of any drive belts on the ESh models. It is one of the advantages the ESh has. I believe they are blowing hot air. Ask them to show it to you.
Old 08-13-20, 04:13 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jollick
I am not aware of any drive belts on the ESh models. It is one of the advantages the ESh has. I believe they are blowing hot air. Ask them to show it to you.
thats what I'm going to do I was asking the consultant I deal with to ask the tech about this and he just said next time I come in he will ask the tech to show us I think he may not be familiar perhaps I don't know but will see cause its just confusing
Old 01-09-21, 02:23 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 847 Likes on 640 Posts

What are the part numbers for the Muffler Bearings they keep wanting me to buy?