Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

My Lex 2006 RX400h ~ Check VSC system ~ Check Hybrid System

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-19, 07:39 PM
jwren
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
when did you buy the vehicle? I found this on your service history as the most recent time it was at the Lexus dealership. Was this you who brought it in or the previous owner?
This was the previous owner. Yes, I was able to see this history as well and it was sold to the dealer that I purchased it from. He probably purchased it at an auction. I will have to ask him as he is a friend of my husbands and will tell him the truth. We purchased it as is...
Old 02-09-19, 08:01 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

there are 3 things you can do in my opinion:

1: have it towed to the nearest Lexus/toyota dealer for a proper diagnosis. A toyota dealer should be able to do everything a Lexus dealer can. (This is my recommended action)
2. Wait for your mechanic to be ready in his new shop.
3. Remove the 12v battery from the vehicle and take it to autozone or your local parts store where they do free battery testing. This process will also clear all the codes in the ECU.

Now, you say this has happened to you before? When you drive around are there any warning lights on that get ignored?
Old 02-09-19, 08:52 PM
jwren
Driver School Candidate

there are 3 things you can do in my opinion:

1: have it towed to the nearest Lexus/toyota dealer for a proper diagnosis. A toyota dealer should be able to do everything a Lexus dealer can. (This is my recommended action)
2. Wait for your mechanic to be ready in his new shop.
3. Remove the 12v battery from the vehicle and take it to autozone or your local parts store where they do free battery testing. This process will also clear all the codes in the ECU.

Now, you say this has happened to you before? When you drive around are there any warning lights on that get ignored?
Yes the VSC light was on with all the warning lights, but it was just sensors according to the computer that was read. My husband can fix. Check Hybrid System light came on with VSC and the car stalled in the middle of the road, no power to gas and little power to brakes. Turned the car off and waited a few minutes. It started back and slowly let us glide back with limited power. It happened a few more times like this, I have some codes that were read I will post after that. This time the car just stopped, hybrid system light turned on, we had to coast into our neighbor's driveway and the brakes were barely working. Had to hit my parking brake. Dangerous!
Old 02-09-19, 09:09 PM
jwren
Driver School Candidate

Just so you know, battery voltage is one small part of testing a battery. It comes down to cranking amps and cold cranking amps, and needs an actual battery tester to test. Here is a list of all the times the 12V battery has been replaced in your vehicle:
I also noticed there were multiple battery issues with this car. My husband can fix everything that doesn't require a lift. Any ideas? He can even fix the hybrid battery if that's the case, but he needs a lift and he is aware of the very dangers of the high voltage of that battery.

Old 02-09-19, 09:56 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 139 Posts

Toyota dealer close by? The old Highlander hybrid is the same as RX400h.

hopefully issue isn’t a big deal.

so far you read everything online, but no actions taken right?

no battery test or replacement. No tech stream status/code check.

Does the car turn on, but not crank? You could try connecting a good battery from your other car to see if it cranks. If so, it’s the 12v. Try even trickle charging the old one and then crank.

If the 12v battery is over 2 years old, I would just get a new one. You’ll need it soon, anyways.

can’t start ruling out possibilities until actions are taken.

good luck.
Old 02-11-19, 06:07 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jwren
, I have some codes that were read I will post after that.
please post them, they are the only real information we can use to help figure out the cause of the problem.
Old 02-12-19, 11:10 AM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Ouch sorry to hear your sorrows.

I noticed the hybrid system is very cautious goes into the "limp" mode if it detects anything related to the engine wrong (which can include electrical) I had it happen when my oil turned in to jello (long story read my other post)

The battery testing at 12v sounds low. A new fully charged 12v battery should read ~13.7V (https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/...-voltage-range).
When your car is running you should see ~14.7 or so. the 12V name is just marketing simplification.

Now if your battery is low it may indicate that
1) the battery is going bad as you indicated (I find the Costco battery a better buy than the Toyota battery both in cost and quality)
2)The car's inverter is not charging the battery at the 14.7V in the "Ready" mode (check the tech stream codes as well, also battery voltage while on, inspect your inverter visually,loose connector? )
Old 02-12-19, 11:29 AM
jwren
Driver School Candidate

Default here are the codes from months ago when check hybrid system light came on.

please post them, they are the only real information we can use to help figure out the cause of the problem.

Old 02-12-19, 01:25 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Looks like it ran out fuel or fuel delivery was cut off.
Those look like engine codes.
Any codes from the Hybrid ECU?
Old 02-12-19, 01:30 PM
jwren
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nad1370
Looks like it ran out fuel or fuel delivery was cut off.
Those look like engine codes.
Any codes from the Hybrid ECU?
these were codes from a few months ago when the check hybrid system light came on and the VSC light. I haven’t had them read since it stopped starting and won’t go into ready mode. It’s parked at my house and won’t run. Also I’ve never run out of fuel. I never drive it below 1/4 tank.
Old 02-12-19, 01:32 PM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure if my experience can help but in winter of 2014, I had Cylinder misfires after filling gas from the Costco I normally go to. I don't remember if my Check hybrid system came up or not (i think it did not). I added a bottle of Heet and used up the gas as soon as I can to fill fresh gas from else where. light went away and did not come back (I still go to that Costco today with no problems)

When My car had the sludge/jello oil I had codes. It threw a bunch of codes...
P0306, P3190, C0300, P0031, P0300, P0301, C0700, , P0000, P0302

My dad 07 Corolla was showing P0171 (lean) which was a common problem. I changed the gasket to the intake ( it was leaking in air)

If there is a problem with the coil packs some one did the work here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-rx400h-2.html

and here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...id-system.html

one check engine light fixed by new spark plugs https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...t-came-on.html

Last edited by jooksing82; 02-12-19 at 01:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jwren (03-01-19)
Old 02-12-19, 02:04 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

these were codes from a few months ago when the check hybrid system light came on and the VSC light. I haven’t had them read since it stopped starting and won’t go into ready mode. It’s parked at my house and won’t run. Also I’ve never run out of fuel. I never drive it below 1/4 tank.
I should clarify.
Running out of fuel doesnt mean you actually ran the tank dry.
Fuel delivery was disrupted is what i meant by that.

Engine will never start if there is a problem on the Hybrid side.
Do you have Hybrid codes?
I also thought you had a mechanic look at your current codes?
jwren (03-01-19)
Old 02-12-19, 02:09 PM
jwren
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nad1370

I should clarify.
Running out of fuel doesnt mean you actually ran the tank dry.
Fuel delivery was disrupted is what i meant by that.

Engine will never start if there is a problem on the Hybrid side.
Do you have Hybrid codes?
I also thought you had a mechanic look at your current codes?
the mechanic is moving so he hasn’t been able to come by with his computer since my car stopped working.
Old 02-12-19, 03:24 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

the mechanic is moving so he hasn’t been able to come by with his computer since my car stopped working.
For now it is important that you do not try starting the vehicle more times. It can cause to damage the hybrid battery if you fail to start the engine many times. To make this easy to understand, every time you try to start the engine, it draws power from the hybrid battery. If you fail to start the gas engine after many times, the hybrid battery will be too low to turn over the gas engine. Since the gas engine is responsible for charging the hybrid battery, if the hybrid battery is worn down low enough to not start the gas engine, there is no way to recharge the hybrid pack easily.

It is difficult to diagnose, but you could have a problem with the 12v battery (as mentioned before) and/or the fuel pump. A weakening fuel pump could lead to lean conditions as well as stalling. The 12v battery is easy to test with a proper battery tester, but the fuel pump is one thing that is a little harder to diagnose (especially if it is running weakened rather than completely failed.) if you do replace the fuel pump I would replace the fuel filter as well.
jwren (03-01-19)
Old 02-12-19, 04:37 PM
jwren
Driver School Candidate

For now it is important that you do not try starting the vehicle more times. It can cause to damage the hybrid battery if you fail to start the engine many times. To make this easy to understand, every time you try to start the engine, it draws power from the hybrid battery. If you fail to start the gas engine after many times, the hybrid battery will be too low to turn over the gas engine. Since the gas engine is responsible for charging the hybrid battery, if the hybrid battery is worn down low enough to not start the gas engine, there is no way to recharge the hybrid pack easily.

It is difficult to diagnose, but you could have a problem with the 12v battery (as mentioned before) and/or the fuel pump. A weakening fuel pump could lead to lean conditions as well as stalling. The 12v battery is easy to test with a proper battery tester, but the fuel pump is one thing that is a little harder to diagnose (especially if it is running weakened rather than completely failed.) if you do replace the fuel pump I would replace the fuel filter as well.
Thanks my husband tested the 12v battery and it was fine, then he jump started it to be sure and it read 13.7v on his voltage meter. He thinks it is, in fact, the inverter, that it could have a leak in the coolant and that could cause the inverter to overheat and burn out parts, which I believe that is what that recall was all about. Not sure if I explained that back correctly, Something like that. He is very mechanically inclined but hasn't worked on a hybrid before, so he found out that the orange covered wires are the HOT ones. I also printed what you posted for him to check. Thanks.

Quick Reply: My Lex 2006 RX400h ~ Check VSC system ~ Check Hybrid System