Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

New Owner's Meeting - What Would You Ask?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-19, 01:10 PM
LillyBelle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner's Meeting - What Would You Ask?

Greetings, all,

As a new 450h owner, I've been invited to a New Owner's breakfast at the dealership where I purchased my 450h. The Dealer's Tech Expert will be on hand to make a presentation and take questions form the group. I've taken time to learn most of the technology, but "you don't know what you don't know", and I'd really love to learn some of the not so obvious things that I know this amazing vehicle can do.

What is the one question you would ask if you were attending this breakfast?

Thanks so much!
Old 01-15-19, 01:32 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

You could ask the dealer tech expert why the 450h has more power on paper yet the acceleration from standstill is so leisurely compared to the RX350.

Or ask why the tow capacity is so low compared to a BMW X3.

Or ask why the engine air filter element is different between the hybrid engine compared to regular gasoline engine.

Or why Lexus do not have a change interval for the hybrid transmission fluid, yet it is very burnt looking when the fluid is drained, but only for the front transmission whereas the rear motor's fluid is generally clean and red.

But perhaps none of these matter.

Maybe a more serious question - why Lexus chose heavier NiMH batteries (old tech) instead of lighter Li-Ion batteries (new tech).

So many questions, but which one? :P
Old 01-15-19, 06:00 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

When will Toyota abandon Inform/Entune and go with Apple Play and Adroid Play like other manufactures are doing? Get back to doing what they do best and let tech companies do their thing.
Old 01-19-19, 04:00 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Toyota uses an Atkinson, not Otto, engine cycle for improved fuel economy. One drawback is reduced low-rpm torque, but that's mostly compensated by the use of two electric motors (in a 4WD version). I don't care about burning rubber from a stoplight. I do care about passing a semi on the highway doing 40mph, and here the hybrid system does very well.

Toyota uses NiMh because (1) far less prone to thermal runaway and thus safer, (2) can last the life of the car, (3) performance meets requirements, though they are somewhat heavier than Lithium. They do use Lithium in their plug-in hybrids, because their requirements for those vehicles are different.

I would ask how Toyota can make vehicles that are generally regarded as being the most reliable in the industry.

I'd also ask if he thought the entire product line would eventually go hybrid, given the 35+% increase in overall fuel economy with few drawbacks.

I don't care about sealed fluids, because presumably Toyota has run extensive tests. You follow the maintenance specified in the manual, the car will last a very long time.

One gripe I DO have is why updating the nav map is so cumbersome and expensive.

And afterwards I'd thank the folks for putting on a nice breakfast in a typically-lovely Lexus dealership setting. You paid more for a Lexus and some of that premium goes towards the amenities.

Last edited by riredale; 01-19-19 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-26-19, 07:37 PM
jconnpac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't Li-Ion batteries run hotter?