Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Dash Lights & Dead Caliper after replacing pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-19, 12:50 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dash Lights & Dead Caliper after replacing pads

2006 Highlander Hybrid AWD.
Getting check VSC warning lights after simply changing the rear brake pads. I've never seen this happen on any vehicle I've done brake jobs on. Tried disconnecting battery overnight but that didnt work. Also noticed that the right rear caliper is no longer applying any force to the pads. Rotor is rusty and cool after hard braking while all others are shiny and hot. Tried bleeding rear brakes with hand held pump vacuum brake bleeder and didn't make any difference. I'm working alone so I can't sit in the car and pump the brakes to bleed them. For some reason, I think that may make a difference. I know there are one-man bleeder systems that require you to sit in the car and pump the brakes to bleed them. Might try that as they are cheap. Any advice??
Old 01-03-19, 02:39 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by colenzae
2006 Highlander Hybrid AWD.
Getting check VSC warning lights after simply changing the rear brake pads. I've never seen this happen on any vehicle I've done brake jobs on. Tried disconnecting battery overnight but that didnt work. Also noticed that the right rear caliper is no longer applying any force to the pads. Rotor is rusty and cool after hard braking while all others are shiny and hot. Tried bleeding rear brakes with hand held pump vacuum brake bleeder and didn't make any difference. I'm working alone so I can't sit in the car and pump the brakes to bleed them. For some reason, I think that may make a difference. I know there are one-man bleeder systems that require you to sit in the car and pump the brakes to bleed them. Might try that as they are cheap. Any advice??

Say a prayer. Reason being, you CAN"T bleed brakes on those cars without Techstream scanner connected OR you can bust brake actuator.
As in - you CAN"T. If someone tells you they did and it was fine, they got hell of lucky.

That said, I did brake pads front and rear on my 2012 HiHy and never had an issue. Maybe you just knocked off wheel sensor, or damaged harness... so check those real well. There should not be a problem after regular pads replacement.
If you have line obstruction to that caliper in question, sure, you'll have light. Or, caliper is bad.
Old 01-07-19, 05:33 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Say a prayer. Reason being, you CAN"T bleed brakes on those cars without Techstream scanner connected OR you can bust brake actuator.
As in - you CAN"T. If someone tells you they did and it was fine, they got hell of lucky.

That said, I did brake pads front and rear on my 2012 HiHy and never had an issue. Maybe you just knocked off wheel sensor, or damaged harness... so check those real well. There should not be a problem after regular pads replacement.
If you have line obstruction to that caliper in question, sure, you'll have light. Or, caliper is bad.
I replaced the pads the exact same way on an HS250H and didn't have a problem. Don't recall if I bled the brakes on that vehicle though. I am wondering what simply pushing back the rear brake pistons did to cause this. I am biting the bullet and taking the car to Toyota today. $125 for a diagnosis. Crossing my fingers that its nothing to serious. Heres to learning about the idiosyncrocies of Toyota hybrids....
Old 01-07-19, 11:24 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ukrkoz

Toyota says it is the brake actuator. Anyone have experience replacing it?? Not in my budget right now to have Toyota replace it. I’d love to do it myself if it’s doable for an ambitious home mechanic...
Old 01-07-19, 11:43 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

the actuator is a fear of us all. What did they quote you for a price? The part itself is going to cost ~$1200 give or take. Obviously you will need to bleed the brakes after install, so you will also need techstream.
Old 01-08-19, 06:58 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
the actuator is a fear of us all. What did they quote you for a price? The part itself is going to cost ~$1200 give or take. Obviously you will need to bleed the brakes after install, so you will also need techstream.
Yeah Toyota's price is $2,300 which is not in my budget for this vehicle. Anyone know if my unit can be rebuilt?? I also called my independent mechanic for an estimate and am waiting for a number from them. What bothers me most about this and perhaps others who own these vehicles and want to work on them themselves is that this could have been avoided if I had simply loosened the bleeder valve before pushing back the caliper pistons. Nice, expensive lesson.....
Old 01-08-19, 09:02 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah Toyota's price is $2,300 which is not in my budget for this vehicle. Anyone know if my unit can be rebuilt?? I also called my independent mechanic for an estimate and am waiting for a number from them. What bothers me most about this and perhaps others who own these vehicles and want to work on them themselves is that this could have been avoided if I had simply loosened the bleeder valve before pushing back the caliper pistons. Nice, expensive lesson.....
I suspect you were on borrowed time as it is. The units are notorious for failure and toyota extended the warranty on them to 10 years. Unfortunately all first get hihys are older than 10 years at this point.
Old 01-09-19, 11:39 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Toyota says it is the brake actuator. Anyone have experience replacing it?? Not in my budget right now to have Toyota replace it. I’d love to do it myself if it’s doable for an ambitious home mechanic...
We had Camry Hybrid owners DIY it. Dealer will bleed brakes for you after, it's not that much. Local to me - $150. Those aresame units as on Highlander, so maybe look that up. Tend to be cheaper, don't pay for the badge.