Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Buying Used 2015 RX 450h AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-18, 12:10 PM
exbauer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying Used 2015 RX 450h AWD?

So, I am looking at a used 2015 RX 450h AWD with 35K miles from a private party. It looks to be in very good condition and dealer maintained. It's still under warranty till 11/2018. It's loaded with LED, Mark Levinson, and HUD. It's a unicorn for sure. They are asking $32,500. That is bit more than I am wanting to spend and it seems like they are firm on this price which is under Private Party value. Is this a good price? I am thinking of offering less like $31K.

I have had hybrids in the past...numerous Prius and a RAV4 Hybrid. My RAV4 Hybrid was totaled and thought about the RX 450h as I always liked them. I can get into a loaded new RAV4 Hybrid for $30K. The thing is the RAV4 will be updated in 2019. So, buying the last year of the current design or go with a used RX 450h. Comments and thoughts?

If I go with the RX 450h anything I need to look out for?
Old 03-21-18, 07:59 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

No idea on price. The guides and comps are your best bets. Even if you can't find exactly what you're looking at you can get a rough idea.

As for which model, you have to decide based on your priorities. We briefly considered a new NX versus a used RX 450h but preferred the RX. A RAV4 would be a nonstarter for us but obivously YMMV. Granted, we were coming from a 400h.
Old 03-22-18, 07:53 AM
Rosscoe83
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would think that is a decent price. That's about what I paid for my '15 with 52K miles. It does not have the HUD or Mark Levinson but all other options and was an L-certified vehicle so I got 2 years unlimited mileage warranty with it. I also paid for an additional 2 year unl miles to make it a total of 4 year unlimited mileage warranty. I figured being a hybrid and with most all of the bells and whistles that it would be worth paying for the extra 2 years. One whistle or one bell could cost thousands to fix. I've had mine for almost 2 months and love it! I'm getting 27-28 mpg now and hoping that will go up some in the summer.
Old 03-23-18, 11:38 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If it's clean and you like it, it's probably worth an extra $1000 or so. We have a 2013 and have the HUD display. I really am pleasantly surprised how much I like that feature. And in 2013, it was a rare to find option. Also, the ML audio seems to be a hard option to find as well.

Being a 2015, don't know if the start appearing more as an option, but for me, I could not find one equipped like the one you are considering.

Check the tires and condition. Those tend to wear out quicker than most. IF they are newer, that's worth a little.

You'll forget about the extra cost about a month or two down the road if you really like the vehicle!

Good luck!
Old 03-23-18, 06:27 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Loaded is loaded. Lexus is Lexus.
I just went through similar experience. My HiHy was in 2nd accident in 3 months, so I said - destiny tapping me on shoulder, rid of car. That was Limited HiHy, loaded up eyebrows. So I went to Toyota to buy RAV4. ZGet inside, sit and look at that cheapo interior and my heart starts crying. Sitting and thinking - they want $28K FOR WHAT? They had a totally beautiful NX200t there. I bought it literally straight.
Wisdom to my post is this. Lexus is Lexus. Rav4 is RAV 4. It's simply different level of game.
Figure price. Look at craiglist owner only same cars. That's very good gauge for pricing. But, truly, as it's under warranty - if you really like the car, of your heart zings in it - just buy it. ENJOY. Mercantile considerations are not always the best. Joy needs to be in life.
Old 03-23-18, 07:03 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

In Australia, there is no hybrid variant of the RAV4 but Aussies do have the option of a four cylinder turbo diesel RAV4.

We don't get the hybrid Highlander either!

I would have bought a HiHy if it were sold here, but they didn't so I went with the RX450h. I actually prefer the Toyota over the Lexus because it would have been more practical with the 7 seats, a bit more space, and working man's badge, instead of the prestige badge of the Lexus. But the hybrid drivetrain was the clincher as I liked the technical engineering, silence and flexibility of EV mode for driving in enclosed, underground carparks, sound insulation and frugality in fuel usage. The bonus was the superb Mark Levinson sound system. The RX450h isnt'tall positive - I still don't have a convenient place to store away my sunglasses safely and the seat position buttons don't work unless the transmission is in the Park position. But that's just me nit picking.

My wife preferred the Lexus simply due to the powered tailgate as she found the LandCruiser's manual tailgate quite an effort to shut. But she dislikes the really forward position of the headrests on the Lexus.

The RAV4 really should be compared to a Lexus NX, not the RX in terms of vehicle size.

Happy consideration and vehicle shopping. If you were to buy the Lexus, take it for a good test drive and make sure you drive over rough, bump roads to ensure there is no trim squeaks or rattles that might mar the ownership experience. Then check for engine oil leaks - the timing chain cover leak requires the engine to be removed to address this fix. The electric motor driven air conditioning compressor is very expensive to replace, so make sure it is working properly.

I'm not sure how popular Hybrids are in the USA, but when I look at just how slow the hybrids are shifting through the used car advertisements in Australia, I think there is absolutely no rush in gettting one immediately. Many vehicles that I looked through are still available for sale 3 weeks after I pulled the pin. Two dealers used the line "someone else is coming to view the car" after I had spoken to them. Turns out they were just feeding me a sales tactic line to get me to hurry up and pay the asking price.