Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

force electric use...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 05:25 AM
JaimeM
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default force electric use...

hi, do you think that to force the electric system is bad for the battery life?
drive very smooth to operate the electric motor .... or get to see very often the 2 purple bars...

regards
Old 01-11-18, 09:04 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,099 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by JaimeM
drive very smooth to operate the electric motor .... or get to see very often the 2 purple bars...

regards
I was unable to understand your post.
How do you force the electric system? Every thing is computer controlled .. You have mode to switch the point where the energy source gets used. Is that the question?

Salim
Old 01-11-18, 09:17 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

regards
Like sudden acceleration? I don't think so. Lexus hybrid electrical part is designed by NEC I believe.
Old 01-12-18, 08:20 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

I think he means driving at speeds and conditions which allow maximum use of battery power, which results in the battery often being depleted into the purple zone.

My answer is, if you were able to do this constantly under normal driving, then it's possible there is some added wear on the battery. But I find it hard to be driving under these conditions so frequently. Maybe if you live where it's always warm and the roads are perfectly flat, and the speeds are always less than 65kph and you drive hours every day, then maybe. Otherwise, I would not be concerned.

Last edited by Droid13; 01-12-18 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-12-18, 08:35 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

Pressing the "EV" button requests the IC motor to shut down but usually results in an error
message that 1) battery is not charged enough 2) IC motor is not warm enough 3) speed
is excessive 4) acceleration is excessive. The mind set I have come to accept is similar to
manual vs. automatic transmissions...yes you can try to outthink the auto and row the shifter
around but with modern Electronically Controlled systems you are just tinkering.
The "EV" button to force a hybrid to use only the battery is already programmed into the
system and we are rarely going to improve on the process.
Old 01-15-18, 04:25 AM
JaimeM
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do not mean to press the button EV, it is as the fellow Droid13 says, to drive so that you try to get the most out of the electric mode but not by pressing the EV button. Driving smooth, without sudden accelerations where the thermal engine would be activated, at speeds below 65 km / h, obviously in the city, on the road nothing can be done.

I'm sorry for my language, i´m spanish
Old 01-15-18, 09:01 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,099 Likes on 989 Posts

I do not mean to press the button EV, it is as the fellow Droid13 says, to drive so that you try to get the most out of the electric mode but not by pressing the EV button. Driving smooth, without sudden accelerations where the thermal engine would be activated, at speeds below 65 km / h, obviously in the city, on the road nothing can be done.

No apologies needed. I was trying to understand the question better.

Salim
Old 01-15-18, 12:25 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Even if you push EV button display says unable to go EV mode something like that often.
To go about 25 Km in distance at slower speed? I wouldn't bother.
Old 02-01-18, 02:28 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

The battery is designed for this. Yes, charging and discharging theoretically takes a toll on the life of a battery and maybe you'd squeeze out some additional life if you avoided use of the traction battery but I don't think you'd get any meaningful difference in doing so.
Old 02-12-18, 10:25 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I suspect the whole system is so conservatively designed that even a considerable, sustained, discharge won't hurt anything. These guys did their homework when they first brought out the Prius many years ago and your Ni-MH battery back is never fully discharged nor fully charged, simply because that's what they discovered was a major factor for delivering long life. I've read somewhere that 40% represents "zero" and 80% represents "full" on the gauge. The computer won't let the battery get outside this range.

It's fun to play with the technology. I find I can go from the nearby supermarket to home (about one mile) without the ICE hardly operating at all by watching my acceleration. But this is not a plug-in car; every watt stored in the battery pack comes form burning gasoline. So I really don't gain anything, since the engine will simply have to run longer next time in order to recharge the battery pack. Still, it's fun, and I don't think it will have much, if any, impact on the pack's life.