Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

towing with rx450h and reversing up incline

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 09:58 PM
klyns01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing with rx450h and reversing up incline

I have a 2011 RX450h AWD without the towing package. We have a 17 foot boat that we would like to tow. Combined weight of boat and trailer is about 2300 lbs. The lake we would go to is about 15 miles away in mountains so some steep hills. In addition, we would have to back the boat up an incline to get it into our garage. I've read conflicting accounts on whether the RX450h can not only tow okay but whether it can reverse a trailer up an incline. I've read the hybrid engine does not have enough power to reverse up an incline with a heavy tow load and that it relies on the electric motor for reverse. Would backing the boat up an incline stress the engine too much and cause damage? Would we need to get the tow package put on? Is that even possible in an after market situation? We are trying to get clarity on the situation before we spend money putting a hitch on the 450h. If anyone could provide insight it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-20-17, 02:27 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Without the factory tow package you are going to void your warranty and possible harm the engine and transmission. I think the 450h has enough power to do the job but will be unable to deal with the extra thermal load.

when pushing your boat up a steep incline the gas motor will be doing most of the work, not the electric motors.
Old 07-20-17, 02:19 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Agree with Greg - I'm pretty sure you are past your tow capacity without the towing package. You'd probably be be fine but do so at your own risk.
Old 07-20-17, 03:20 PM
klyns01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. We'll probably just have to buy a used truck or SUV that is better designed for towing.
Old 08-03-17, 04:32 AM
Andersaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
when pushing your boat up a steep incline the gas motor will be doing most of the work, not the electric motors.
Wrong!
The Toyota/Lexus powersplit has no reverse. When you are backing the car, the electric motors has to do all the work. The petrol engine will maybe run to produce electricity, but all movement are made by MG2 and depending on grip to surface, MG3.

The Power available is difficult to determine, since its depending on battery status and what amount of current the inverter are able to handle. For shure - You do not have 300 hp in reverse!

I never had any problem backing my 3000 lbs trailer with my -11 RX450h or -17 RX450h. But never tried a steep hill or anything other than tarmac...

I Guess backing a steep incline with 2300 lbs may be a concern!
Old 08-03-17, 08:56 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Andersaa
Wrong!
The Toyota/Lexus powersplit has no reverse. When you are backing the car, the electric motors has to do all the work. The petrol engine will maybe run to produce electricity, but all movement are made by MG2 and depending on grip to surface, MG3.

The Power available is difficult to determine, since its depending on battery status and what amount of current the inverter are able to handle. For shure - You do not have 300 hp in reverse!

I never had any problem backing my 3000 lbs trailer with my -11 RX450h or -17 RX450h. But never tried a steep hill or anything other than tarmac...

Finally! A guy (supposition on my part) who understands the RXh's propulsion system!

I wish that someone would hook a load transducer to the tow eyelet in front of an RX and an RXh and, in reverse, document just how much and how different are the respective vehicles with respect to reverse force.

In agreement and in amplification of your assertion/explanation, the battery (even fully charged) has a very limited capacity, which requires the ICE/MG1 to generate electricity to MG2 and MGR/3 for any significant torque in reverse - and the SPEED in reverse is limited by the planetary's rotation in reverse being opposite to that in forward.
Old 08-03-17, 09:24 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Personally I am against towing anything over 2,000 lbs with a unibody type vehicle no matter what it is. In reality unexpected things can/will happen. Numbers on paper is not every thing. Used to tow 32 ft. fiver weighing 7,300 lbs. in the Rockies when kids were young. My mind set is truck is for towing. I had Ford F250HD towing special
Super Cab.
Old 08-03-17, 09:46 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

I agree.

While I am happy that my RXh is 'approved' for a 3,500# load, other than to mount my bike rack on the hitch receiver, I hope to use it to bring home a new Boston Whaler if/when I win the Lottery (and, soon afterwards, I'd be off to buy a new F250HD with which I could drag it around).
Old 08-22-17, 09:15 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Wrong!

I have a 12ft X 6ft cargo trailer that I haul motorcycles with. Bikes & trailer are just under my RX 450h's 3500 tow limit. I had a load of furniture that I backed up a steep driveway the other weekend & had no issue at all. I have moved my fully loaded trailer around with a 12 HP lawn tractor & had no problem. HP helps you go fast. Torque is what moves you from a dead stop. I think the electric motors will be just fine in reverse, because you will be traveling very slowly. I've also seen RV sales people use a battery operated motor to move trailers around a lot & those motors are a lot smaller than the 450h's. Your main problem will be the lack of a tow package. Perhaps you can find the heavy duty cooling for the transmission & engine aftermarket or thru a Lexus dealer. The only other item that package has is the electrical connector under the driver's side back bumper.
Old 08-23-17, 09:25 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Wrong!

Learn something every day. Never pushed my Whaler or SeaDoo up a hill as ramps are down hill.
Old 08-23-17, 01:08 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." Archimedes

In today's vernacular it might read:

"Give me enough gear reduction and time, and even with the smallest engine/motor, I shall move the world." Author Unknown
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (08-24-17)