Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

P2797 with subcode 865 on 2008 gs 450h

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 02:12 AM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts
Question P2797 with subcode 865 on 2008 gs 450h

Hi there this morning I had surprise from my gs.

code P2797 pop up.
I was reading around threads related to this same issue but couldnt find wher to buy bearings for transsmission oil pump .

I hope that is what causing problem.
Car will start in limp mode.
Hybrid will not kick in. I can drive all day but no hybrid and on expressway will give you chance to drive only up to 70 miles per hour.(about 115 km/h)
checked all 3 modes hybrid powerr,hybrid snow,hybrid normal and every time is up to 70 mil/hour maximum speed.
removed transsmission protective cover and checked for loose or coroded connection ,nothing found.
checked also small module under air box and no lose connection eather.
so now left is only oil pump and try to replace bearing only.

Does anybody know where to buy those bearings,could you post link or just pm me.
​​​​​​​thanks.
The following users liked this post:
doitup (08-24-22)
Old 04-21-17, 06:14 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Question

I got place to build bearing but does anybody know dimensions ,specs of those bearings please.
Old 04-24-17, 11:09 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Default Finally first part done.

First of all thank you all for help.
I got all info regarding rebuilding aux.transs.oil pump.
1,part number for inside bearing 61900-2Z skf
2,part number for 2nd bearing 608-2Z skf
3,u will need about 5 liter of ATF WS OIL
4,mini bearing puller ...C picture attached.
Disconnect battery and orange plug just in case.
Beginning was easy,first was to remove plastic cover after that remove bracket from flanges of exhaust pipes .Than drained​ fluid .. disconnect transmission lines (watch for gaskets washer 4 in total ) .
4 bolts removed from housing on tranny's and pump was free attached to cable only.( Do top 2 screws first than bottom 2screws )
Rubber line was disconnected too from pump housing.
next was to remove 4 bolts holding blk housing of the pump.when that step was done now we got into problem.
3 screws holding cover and damaged bearing we're rusted.
No way around ... eather drill it or tap it or use locking pliers.
Finally , all 3 were removed and shaft was free.
Bearing was completely destroyed .Bearing parts all over housing.
Inner bearing was ok but anyway We did replaced it too.

Rebuilding pump was educational and Economical because dealer wanted about $3,000.00 just for the pump plus labor.Wow.
But still I like my dealership because they give me always access to all parts and all diagrams and picture s in order to make it more easy for me.
Well not all ppl are with skills to work on the car ,due to luck of confidence, laziness,luck of skills ,and some got a lot 💰,...Some ppl believe that dealer will do best and that is good because dealer should get some Money too.
Our job is to help ppl entusiast they are willing to fix thing by themselves.
H noere is some picks of parts and pump.
Attached Thumbnails P2797 with subcode 865 on 2008 gs 450h-img_20170424_093016.jpg   P2797 with subcode 865 on 2008 gs 450h-img_20170424_140515.jpg   P2797 with subcode 865 on 2008 gs 450h-img_20170424_140524.jpg   P2797 with subcode 865 on 2008 gs 450h-img_20170424_140529.jpg   P2797 with subcode 865 on 2008 gs 450h-img_20170424_141214.jpg  

vap3 (10-15-18)
Old 04-24-17, 11:25 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

After rebuild was done code came up again.
P2797.??????
We have used OBD2code reader to clr code but no success.
We put car back on hoist and give it a bit pounding around blk housing of the oil pump.
Now I was able to reset code and start driving.
After 1 hour of driving still code come back but now hybrid was working.So strange.
We reset code again and start driving 4 hours after no code anymore.
Is it possible that bearing got some braking time,like new brakes and rotors or what.
Is it possible that ECU taking samples of new rpm on the shaft or something else.

Very odd .....But fuel economy was gr8 and as u can still see it is ready for another 300 000 km

We are so gr8full for this forum.
Until next time cheers. Fuel economy after rebuilding oil pump.
High milage but still very strong.

Lexus will compete with my Nissan Altima hybrid which is over 600 000km as u can c.
vap3 (10-15-18)
Old 08-16-18, 09:36 PM
Gunspeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My H got error code p2797. I did testing and figured it wasn't the control module. So i opened up the aux pumpand the front bearing was toasted. Car is back to normal again. Thanks OP
doitup (08-24-22)
Old 08-27-18, 09:07 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I have 204k on my 07 gs450h and the only thing I was previously worried about was the water pump or power inverter.
vap3 (10-15-18)
Old 08-30-18, 08:30 AM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I didnt get that code but I just came to admire your mpg lol, wow. I'm from Ontario too and I've never gotten under 8L/100km. I drive normal and its 80% highway.
Old 09-23-18, 11:06 AM
vap3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i was buying a used gs450h, is there a way to spot this issue besides lights and limp mode? anything under the hood i can spot? looks like where salt is used heavily like ontario it seems that this is a common problem
Old 09-26-18, 02:19 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by energie8
I didnt get that code but I just came to admire your mpg lol, wow. I'm from Ontario too and I've never gotten under 8L/100km. I drive normal and its 80% highway.
WOW that is over 28.3 mpg converted to english

Over 208k miles my car has averaged between 23-24 mpg 80% city.
Old 05-27-19, 04:47 AM
Xenith
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default just a few hints

so I did this job on my 2006 that has 275k on the clock and yep the front (pump end ) bearing was nearly sized (with a lot of effort I could just turn it )
but it had not clasped yet .which sounds good right .WRONG this makes the job harder as the armature will not come out past the circuit board due to the bearing being bigger than the hole through the board and if u tried to tap it through it would brake the board .SO what to do u say .
Welll u need to pull the rubber gromet (from other side wear arrow is )

is out from around the 7 wires circled going to the board in the pump head so u can push the wires through to move the board out with the armature and bearing as one.
then pull the bearing off the armature .
put the new bearing into the pump housing first put the board back in then the 3 screws to hold the board there .
then tap the armature back in all the way home

Last edited by Xenith; 05-27-19 at 05:04 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 05-12-20, 04:06 AM
RastaMc
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Got the same problem a week ago. Made my choice to order the bearings and start to check if this was the problem. Once the pump was dismounted I tried to turn the shaft (after dismounting the pump housing) en voilá, it was stuck. This was a good sign cuz it meant that probably the bearings were the problem. I decided to disconnect the wiring loom of the motor (connected under the filter house at the front) and take the motor outside. This allow you to put more strength to the screws to loosen them. And yes, the bearing at the circuit board side was done. Both bearings replaced and problem solved.
The following 3 users liked this post by RastaMc:
Bluetheron (06-29-20), Farqui (05-12-20), Lwerewolf (05-12-20)
Old 01-16-21, 01:17 PM
Bluetheron
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Signs of death

Was there any bad bearing noises with this pump bearings dying? I'm tearing into my transmission this weekend.
Old 01-16-21, 01:55 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts

Possibly, possibly not. Get the car out for a drive and see how it goes.

You might want to check this post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...l#post10971678

...specifically the part about the bearing clearances.
Old 05-07-22, 07:58 AM
Zeczam
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunspeed
My H got error code p2797. I did testing and figured it wasn't the control module. So i opened up the aux pumpand the front bearing was toasted. Car is back to normal again. Thanks OP
Hi there. I've got this code too but I don't know how to test the control module. Can you kindly walk me through it and where to find it? Thanks!
Old 08-23-22, 10:53 PM
Zeczam
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good news.. I successfully changed the bearings on my pump, both inner and outer, and I now have my hybrid system fully working again 😎. The guidance within this thread has been very useful.

However, I've noticed 2 things that are a bit different this time. Firstly, there's a slight murming sound coming from the pump when in operation. It's quiet but it is noticeable when I've got the windows all the way down and it's in EV mode. I don't mind it, but I do notice it. Secondly, the shifts from the low speed CVT to the high speed CV (which happens around 65mph) have been fantastic and more rapid than ever, except this one time just 2 days ago where the car got stuck at 65mph for around 2 seconds before jerking up to the high speed CVT, allowing me to go faster. Very strange. Has this happened to anyone here?

At this point I think it's worth mentioning here, that a lot of the posts are quoting 5L as the rough requirement for ATF to refill the system. However, when I was doing the re-fill, after just 3L, it started to over-flow through the overflow check hole. I had kept the ATF bottles submerged in a water bath to get them to and keep them at roughly 35 degrees C before doing the re-fill. Once it was "full", I closed both the refill and the overflow check hole, and that was that. I've got 2 bottles unused. I'm now half thinking, that because the pump and its hoses were empty, as soon as I started the car, some fluid level was now lost to the pump and that I should now repeat the fluid refill proceduce as a top-up move. Did others do this? I'm very keen to hear from you.

Another thing I noticed is, the central console from inside the cabin, in particular the heated/ventilated seats control panel, seems to be getting quite warm - not sure if this is related.

Quick Reply: P2797 with subcode 865 on 2008 gs 450h