Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.
View Poll Results: Do you think this brake noise is normal or not
Normal
28.57%
Not Normal, need to be fixed
71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Brake noise every time I press the pedal

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-18, 11:13 PM
Clivo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi pdaeng, just wondering if you ever solved this issue on your car? My RX450h has just started to do noises from the brake pedal quite a few months ago and I've had it to the dealership twice now but it seems to hardly do it at their dealership. I've worked out that mine makes the sounds as I'm going down my driveway (under load) then again whilst I'm backing into my garage at home. I live in a hilly area and the Lexus dealership is in a level area 50 minutes drive away, I was there and back twice yesterday, so you may appreciate my annoyance at the car. It's my 3rd RX and none of them have been trouble free.
cheers, Clive
Old 08-27-18, 08:41 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Clivo
Hi pdaeng, just wondering if you ever solved this issue on your car? My RX450h has just started to do noises from the brake pedal quite a few months ago and I've had it to the dealership twice now but it seems to hardly do it at their dealership. I've worked out that mine makes the sounds as I'm going down my driveway (under load) then again whilst I'm backing into my garage at home. I live in a hilly area and the Lexus dealership is in a level area 50 minutes drive away, I was there and back twice yesterday, so you may appreciate my annoyance at the car. It's my 3rd RX and none of them have been trouble free.
cheers, Clive
Not completely solved. Still have the noise but not as loud as before changing the actuator. I am now kind of getting used to it.
But I can replicate the noise 100% anytime I want. It is always there. Not just twice a day.
Old 08-27-18, 08:49 PM
Clivo
Driver School Candidate

Smile Brake Pedal noise

Originally Posted by pdaeng
Not completely solved. Still have the noise but not as loud as before changing the actuator. I am now kind of getting used to it.
But I can replicate the noise 100% anytime I want. It is always there. Not just twice a day.
Hi, thanks for your response. Mine was rectified last week by the dealership. They did a abs actuator replacement and it's now noise free. So pleased as it was getting worse all the time. Turns out, that in cold weather under 18c, it was very bad once over that temperature, hardly noticeable. So they kept it overnight a couple of times and worked it out.
Old 08-29-18, 08:33 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Originally Posted by Clivo
Hi, thanks for your response. Mine was rectified last week by the dealership. They did a abs actuator replacement and it's now noise free. So pleased as it was getting worse all the time. Turns out, that in cold weather under 18c, it was very bad once over that temperature, hardly noticeable. So they kept it overnight a couple of times and worked it out.
Glade to hear that.
Mine is 450h Fsport. I noticed that 450h Fsport is more likely to have this noise. I test drove several different models. Even the new Fsport seems to have this kind of noise more or less. But normal 450h is much quieter.
Anyway, last Lexus.
Old 09-02-18, 12:10 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Mine had the noise quite frequently so much so that they could replicate it pretty consistently so they replaced my actuator. It was noise free after the replacement for about 4 months and now it's back again but happens much less and they can't replicate it anymore. Really sucks!
Old 09-08-18, 07:15 PM
pdaeng
Driver

I have test driven most of the plugin and hybrid cars recently (they come to my company's parking lot to show and test drive). Only toyota's brakes have this kind of noise. Other brands's brake likes the normal and zero noise.
I have a feeling Toyota is behind other companies in terms of regenerated braking.
Old 09-13-18, 06:48 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

TSB ID: L-TT-0201-16
Some vehicles may experience a squawk type noise when pressing down on the brake pedal.

I do not have the TSB, so if someone does and has a link, please post. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Danushie (06-21-21)
Old 09-15-18, 11:58 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Yesterday, I received our 2017 450h RX back from our Lexus dealership as the ABS actuator had to be replaced at a little over the 4K mile mark. My wife was driving on the interstate when she had to make a firm, but not an emergency stop, that initially started the squawking sound. This sound was emanating from the front driver's side transaxle area and was easily reproducible even with the vehicle in Park and while keeping the brake pedal depressed and pumping the brakes. A bit maddening on a luxury vehicle, and something that we both couldn't live with for a long period of time. The fix, with part in hand, took our Lexus Service Department an afternoon to accomplish. The noise has been completely eliminated and time will tell whether it will return.

Canadian built; build date 11/17

Last edited by SoCalRX; 09-20-18 at 08:27 AM.
Danushie (06-21-21)
Old 09-27-18, 10:39 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
Yesterday, I received our 2017 450h RX back from our Lexus dealership as the ABS actuator had to be replaced at a little over the 4K mile mark. My wife was driving on the interstate when she had to make a firm, but not an emergency stop, that initially started the squawking sound. This sound was emanating from the front driver's side transaxle area and was easily reproducible even with the vehicle in Park and while keeping the brake pedal depressed and pumping the brakes. A bit maddening on a luxury vehicle, and something that we both couldn't live with for a long period of time. The fix, with part in hand, took our Lexus Service Department an afternoon to accomplish. The noise has been completely eliminated and time will tell whether it will return.

Canadian built; build date 11/17
It will return. Believe me.

I am pretending it is not there. :-(.
SoCalRX (05-27-19)
Old 10-27-18, 10:24 AM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2018 450h started to have this issue around 2K miles. So far it doesn't bother me. Will see what happens later.
Old 10-29-18, 03:25 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I've had a 2010 RX450h for two years, wonderful car, but it began barking like a seal with brake application last summer. Lexus dealer immediately assumed it was the ABS brake accumulator, said it was pretty normal. I told the advisor this was a premium car and that seal noises were not part of the deal. They agreed to replace under warranty (I barely slipped it in just under the expiration). I have a brief recording of the noise as part of that thread.

Here's the thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...l#post10329019
Old 12-24-18, 08:49 PM
quidmaker
5th Gear

my 'new' RX450h (2018) has made this noise since day one...I too, find it annoying....taking the car to my dealer in the am....
Old 12-26-18, 07:59 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

so theres no fix even after replacing the brake accumulator?
Old 05-13-19, 05:18 AM
Art234
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem with my ‘16 RX450h. The brake pedal would make a small squeak when depressing it about 3/4 of the time. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the ABS and power brake unit ($4k) but covered by warranty. It is fine now.

for what it’s worth the dealer didn’t give me a hard time, they heard it and fixed it...
Old 05-16-19, 10:41 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm a little surprised that there isn't already a class-action lawsuit regarding this noise. These Lexus cars are wonderful and expensive machines, and they shouldn't sound like barking seals when the brakes are applied. Obviously a design defect that the company needs to address.

My 2010 RX450h had the noise, dealer replaced the ABS actuator, now is silent. Here is a sample of the noise, at about the 1:48 mark:

http://www.inventics.com/2010RX450hBrakeBarking.mp3

Quick Reply: Brake noise every time I press the pedal