Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

RX450h does not start

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-16, 09:43 AM
igoris
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX450h does not start

Hi guys. I need help with my lexus rx 450 h. It didn't start. When you press START button, nothing happens, just coming up ignition, but not coming word On clock READY. The car is after small accident, nothing serious happened just damaged engine boot but they stripped all front car parts eg. bumper wing ect. Maybe this has an effect to the car and why it is not starting or not? A computer says 'check hybrid system' I need your help maybe you have any ideas? Thanks
Old 11-10-16, 09:49 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

When a hybrid is involved in an accident, there are "g" sensors that will automatically trigger the disconnection of the hybrid battery from the rest of the vehicle. It's a safety measure to prevent electrocution should the vehicle's structure be compromised in some way. If this is what happened to your vehicle, it will need to go to the dealer where they will reset the system (reconnect the battery).
Old 11-10-16, 09:51 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Prolly they messed with wiring harness somewhere. Whoever they are, they should take care of it, IMO.
Old 11-10-16, 10:10 AM
igoris
Driver School Candidate

Hey, Thanks for the reply but could you explain a bit more because this is my first Hybrid car and I do not understand things like this, such as the 'g sensor'
thanks
Old 11-10-16, 10:29 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by igoris
Hi guys. I need help with my lexus rx 450 h. It didn't start. When you press START button, nothing happens, just coming up ignition, but not coming word On clock READY. The car is after small accident, nothing serious happened just damaged engine boot but they stripped all front car parts eg. bumper wing ect. Maybe this has an effect to the car and why it is not starting or not? A computer says 'check hybrid system' I need your help maybe you have any ideas? Thanks
Originally Posted by igoris
Hey, Thanks for the reply but could you explain a bit more because this is my first Hybrid car and I do not understand things like this, such as the 'g sensor'
thanks
If G seonsor is triggered air bag would pop. I don't think it was such a big impact. Hybrid has high voltage and and low voltage control circuits, w/o specific trained knowledge it is not
easy to tackle the problem. Do you get green ready indicator on the dash? Tried to jump start just in case your 12V battery is low in charge. I think dealers have special diagnostic
tool to TS hybrid system. I also drive '15 RX450h. I hope it works OK when weather here gets COLD(like -30C)
Old 11-10-16, 10:33 AM
igoris
Driver School Candidate

"Do you get green ready indicator on the dash?" No we don't, that is the problem that we are getting. but is this the problem because all of the front part of the car is disconnected like bumper, wings, headlights and fog lights? It always says on the dash 'check hybrid system' is that why?? They told us that the car was startable but when we got it, it didn't start.
Old 11-10-16, 11:00 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

One thing you can try is to jump start. Without ready indicator, car won't start. 12V battery does not have much capacity, it can discharge easily. Good luck.
Old 11-10-16, 11:07 AM
igoris
Driver School Candidate

hm okay :/
Old 11-10-16, 01:39 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
If G seonsor is triggered air bag would pop.
Often, but not necessarily. Air bags will deploy according to direction of impact, no value in having $10,000 worth of airbags deploy for a small rear end collision, but it may be enough to trigger the battery disconnect.

In any case, this is the formal description:

Originally Posted by Lexus Manual
When a certain level of impact is detected by the impact sensor, the emergency shut off system blocks off the high voltage current and stops the fuel pump to minimize the risk of electrocution and fuel leakage. If the emergency shut off system activates, your vehicle will not restart. To restart the hybrid system, contact your Lexus dealer.
I'm leaning towards this because I don't think a simple low voltage condition in the 12 volt battery would trigger the "Check Hybrid System" warning. Low voltage in the Hybrid battery would, but that's going to require a Lexus dealer visit as well.
Old 11-10-16, 01:56 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Is the vehicle still at the repair center, or have they completed the repairs and returned the vehicle to you, and you are just now getting into the no-start scenario?

A more detailed timeline might help us help you with more detail.
Old 11-10-16, 03:03 PM
igoris
Driver School Candidate

Yes, still is. But I get car like that. Now just wait til they finisht and then dont know?
Old 11-11-16, 07:14 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I am honestly confused as to what is going on with your car. From what you said, your car is still at the repair shop. That leads me to a couple more questions as I try to mentally sort out what's going on.

1) Is the current repair shop the same one which did the initial repairs after the accident?

2) Are the repairs which are in progress still part of the initial repair following the accident, or is this a follow-up repair effort where they are trying to fix a No Start condition which took place after receiving the vehicle from the initial repair effort?

I personally think we simply do not have enough details about your situation to be able to offer any insights at this point. Maybe I'm the only one who is confused, though.
Old 11-11-16, 07:58 AM
igoris
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by F250
I am honestly confused as to what is going on with your car. From what you said, your car is still at the repair shop. That leads me to a couple more questions as I try to mentally sort out what's going on.

1) Is the current repair shop the same one which did the initial repairs after the accident?

2) Are the repairs which are in progress still part of the initial repair following the accident, or is this a follow-up repair effort where they are trying to fix a No Start condition which took place after receiving the vehicle from the initial repair effort?

I personally think we simply do not have enough details about your situation to be able to offer any insights at this point. Maybe I'm the only one who is confused, though.
The car is in the repair shop where they are putting all the parts of the car which were taken off back On and painting it. They arent doing anything that is to do with this. But it is not the shop we got the car from.
Old 11-11-16, 07:59 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts
Did you read the error code?!!
That will give you some idea of what is going on. It's shooting-in-the dark, otherwise.
Old 11-11-16, 08:19 AM
igoris
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Did you read the error code?!!
That will give you some idea of what is going on. It's shooting-in-the dark, otherwise.
Shooting in the dark? Also we didnt find any error code, doesnt show one

Quick Reply: RX450h does not start