Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

Lexus 450h in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-18, 08:02 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 6thLexus
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer this question
very welcome
Old 12-13-18, 06:35 PM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 258 Likes on 160 Posts

We’ve driven our 2016 450h with F-sport in about 4 to 5” of snow with no problems. I wouldn’t take it up a mountain but for every day driving and a few inches of snow are no problem. We love our 450h!
The following users liked this post:
6thLexus (12-15-18)
Old 12-15-18, 08:55 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Just keep in mind that snow tires will blow any AWD system away. I've had an X5, GX460, RX350 and now the 450hL and none of them drive as well in snowl as my wife's front wheel drive Toyota Sienna with Bridgestone Blizzak's.
The following 2 users liked this post by jugdish:
6thLexus (12-15-18), ClaytonW (11-06-21)
Old 12-15-18, 11:40 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish
Just keep in mind that snow tires will blow any AWD system away. I've had an X5, GX460, RX350 and now the 450hL and none of them drive as well in snowl as my wife's front wheel drive Toyota Sienna with Bridgestone Blizzak's.
HA! I had a Sienna and it would never make it up my driveway in deep snow. My wife's Ravh has never had a problem in deep snow including our very steep driveway. The Sienna had snow tires and the Ravh just has the original all seasons. Can't beat AWD.
The following users liked this post:
6thLexus (12-15-18)
Old 12-15-18, 12:37 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by eichhornaa
Posted yesterday but nobody responded. Can anyone comment on the 450H in the snow? Thanks
I live in Calgary Alberta. I had 2015 RX-450h for 2 years. Our winter weather is similar to yours I believe. B4 450h I had BMW X5 and Audi SQ5.
I have a little all season cottage on the foot of Rockies where it snows a lot more than town. When I went out there with 450h I almost got stuck.
Even in snow mode the problem is rear and keeps floating up instead of digging in in deep snow. I think rear end does not have enough weight
on this truck. In town on regular road, no problem. X5 and SQ5 did not show that symptom. I could drive in deep snow without too much worry.

One other issue is in cold weather the battery capacity decreases which increases fuel consumption. My conclusion is RX would be good choice for
regions with milder weather. With this two exceptions, nice car. Wife loved it too. Now I am driving mid-size Benz SUV with 4matic. it behaves like X5 or SQ5
in deep snow on country road. If I am not mistaken newer 450h does not have the snow mode? This year winter weather up here is weird. So far every day
we have above freezing temperature in day time. We don't expect some snow for Christmas. Guys are running around in bicycles, wearing shorts.
This subject was discussed some time ago on this forum.

Old 12-16-18, 06:06 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Htony
I live in Calgary Alberta. I had 2015 RX-450h for 2 years. Our winter weather is similar to yours I believe. B4 450h I had BMW X5 and Audi SQ5.
I have a little all season cottage on the foot of Rockies where it snows a lot more than town. When I went out there with 450h I almost got stuck.
Even in snow mode the problem is rear and keeps floating up instead of digging in in deep snow. I think rear end does not have enough weight
on this truck. In town on regular road, no problem. X5 and SQ5 did not show that symptom. I could drive in deep snow without too much worry.

One other issue is in cold weather the battery capacity decreases which increases fuel consumption. My conclusion is RX would be good choice for
regions with milder weather. With this two exceptions, nice car. Wife loved it too. Now I am driving mid-size Benz SUV with 4matic. it behaves like X5 or SQ5
in deep snow on country road. If I am not mistaken newer 450h does not have the snow mode? This year winter weather up here is weird. So far every day
we have above freezing temperature in day time. We don't expect some snow for Christmas. Guys are running around in bicycles, wearing shorts.
This subject was discussed some time ago on this forum.
We have a second home in the Colorado Mountains, and my wife’s 2016 Ravh is very good in the deep snow. We have not noticed more than a 10% drop in fuel economy with or Ravh in the two winters we have owned it. My 2018 450hl has dropped about 10% in mileage too. It is common for hybrids to lose mileage in winter. We have not had any real deep snow here in Denver this year, as we are golfing every day, but eventually it will come and we will see what the 450hl can do in our driveway. I am sure that when we go to the mountains over Christmas, the 450hl will get tested. I doubt that it will have the weight distribution problem you mentioned, because it is longer and heavier at 4900 pounds. You are correct, there is no snow mode.
Old 12-16-18, 06:53 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Yes, L version might be different. It'll be interesting to see if it is weighed at weigh station, front to back. 4900 lbs? My SUV has a V8 engine.
it is only about 4500 lbs. This thing can chase my son's Bimmer M3 easily.
Old 12-16-18, 07:05 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Htony
Yes, L version might be different. It'll be interesting to see if it is weighed at weigh station, front to back. 4900 lbs? My SUV has a V8 engine.
it is only about 4500 lbs. This thing can chase my son's Bimmer M3 easily.
The only place I have found the weight is at the Lexus new car site and then the specs for the 450hl. The owners manual does not give the weight. Look here--- https://www.lexus.com/models/RX-hybr...0hl-awd#engine
Old 12-16-18, 09:31 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

When all the gas stations around me switch to winter gas with all the additives, all my cars lose 10% in gas mileage, hybrid or not.
Old 12-17-18, 07:51 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

VIN sticker affixed to the door jamb has the vehicle weight

Last edited by JSracer; 12-17-18 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-18-18, 05:03 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JSracer
VIN sticker affixed to the door jamb has the vehicle weight
It just has GVWR 6900lbs
Old 12-27-18, 07:29 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Got a RX as a loaner so had me thinking aboutdoing some research on the new one for the parents. Came across this thread , we have the much older RX400H. I've only gotten stuck in anything once, (had to get out and rock the car as we can't turn of traction control, throttle basically does nothing of there is slip once detected can push all the way down and nothing spins.) this was on the sand on Dayton Beach in the 4WD only area, (yes I'm aware I really shouldn't have been there). But we only got stick bc the big pick up truck in front of me did, once we came to a stop car sank into the sand. Otherwise as long as we were moving sand didn't stop us. Even drove around jacked up pickups with big wheels.

Went skiing 2 weeks ago that area of the NC mountains got a total of 24" that one day. As we got closer had to get offff highway onto smaller roads that hadn't been plowed yet, probably 8-10" on the ground at the time. Didn't phase the car as long as I kept moving.. (never came to a stop.) (2 month all season tires) . (There were cars in front of me)

​​​​​​Have always taken this skiing driven through many snowstorms. (One of those folks that drives 3-5 hours to ski when every news channel says to stay home). If the current one is anything like ours I wouldn't worry much unless it's an everyday thing where you live. I asusme they allow Trac to be turned off. And I'm positive the added weight of the battery helps tremendously.

If I could get a RX with V8 I'd get it hands down...can only wish an RXF ever comes out..lol...
Old 12-08-19, 11:07 PM
faxepolis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modell 2020

Hi,

​​​​​​does anyone know if Lexus did any changes to the 2020 Modell of the 450h to improve the AWD and / or off road capabilities?

Thanks.
Old 12-16-19, 10:04 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Originally Posted by faxepolis
Hi,

​​​​​​does anyone know if Lexus did any changes to the 2020 Modell of the 450h to improve the AWD and / or off road capabilities?

Thanks.
Get a Jeep if you want off road capabilities. No SUVs are for off road, unless you mean graded gravel roads. The 450H is perfect in deep Colorado snow.
Old 12-17-19, 01:07 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

This was an interesting video on how the AWD system works/reacts.

Quick Reply: Lexus 450h in Snow