Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

Lexus 450h in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-16, 07:35 AM
eichhornaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus 450h in Snow

I am seriously looking at the 2016 RX450H, but had some questions on how it handles in the snow. I live outside of Denver and we see pretty decent snowfall each year so it is integral to have something that handles well in lots of different conditions. I love driving the hybrid, but am concerned it won't handle as well in poor conditions. I am trying to decide between the 450H and the Audi Q5. I have owned Audi's previously and know the Quattro system handles snow well. Really interested to here from anyone that has experience with these conditions in the 450H. Thanks!
Old 09-11-16, 08:33 AM
eichhornaa
Driver School Candidate

Posted yesterday but nobody responded. Can anyone comment on the 450H in the snow? Thanks
Old 09-11-16, 09:22 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

eichhornaa, I've moved the thread to the hybrid forum. There's also not too many 4RXh owners since it came out less than a year ago.

Based on my experience with the previous gen 450h, it should be fine in the snow. I had no issues over the last six years including plenty of hills. Or 18 years if you include non-hybrid RXs I've had. The quattro system in Audi is very good. Lexus has VDIM which basically integrates braking, stability control and traction control. It kicks in instantly when it detects slipping. No driver input is needed. Plus the RXh has snow mode. I don't use it myself but others swear it makes a difference. It's similar to starting in second gear. And there's also the ability to shift which I prefer. I'm curious to see how the 20"s fare in the snow. I think with the Michelin Premiers, it should be ok. They were pretty decent last winter on the 3RXh with 19"s.
Old 09-12-16, 12:25 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Plus the RXh has snow mode. I don't use it myself but others swear it makes a difference.
Where did you find snow mode in the 4RX?
Old 09-12-16, 03:05 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Snow Mode that 2010 - 2015 RX's had is gone from the 2016 RX.
As the primary characteristic of SM was to limit torque and thus
wheel spin it would follow that Drive Mode "ECO" would provide
the same condition because it also softens throttle response.
Be aware however that ECO also modifies HVAC behavior.
Old 09-12-16, 03:45 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Oops, my bad. I figured snow mode was still there among all the buttons. It's only been standard on the RX since it came out in 1998. Now with the 450h F-Sport, the paddle shifters will come in handy. VDIM has already proven helpful in slippery situations.
Old 02-22-17, 04:17 AM
Andersaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have quite big experience driving in snow, living in Norway. I have driven both 3. and 4. gen RX450h.
The rear drive in the hybrid is soley from rear Electric motor. This motor is Limited by the amount of current available from the battery and the front MG1. This makes the 450h a four Wheel drive "lite". It is nothing near a Quattro or a Jeep, with axels and Limited slip differentials. So - don't go offroad With a RX450h. That said - we may encounter severe snow conditions in this country. I have had a 450h for 4 Winters, including mountain driving. I have been the first to - and the last to drive over mountain passes before the road closed because the Snowy conditions. The RX has a wey good traction system, and has no issues in snow for normal driving. don't worry about 4-5 inches of snow, but you will have difficulties backing a trailer uphill. The key to handle snow is as in any other car: tires and driving skills. I have used both studded and non studded tires on these cars. My favorite (by far) is the studdless Finnish Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2. They give good traction in snow and fairly good traction on ice. Best of all - the right (economical) way to drive a hybrid, is identical to the way you want to drive in snow!
Old 03-20-17, 11:48 AM
sten47
Driver School Candidate

Default driving in snow

I have a RX450h and is it AWD automatically?
Old 03-20-17, 02:29 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I believe it depends on the year of your RX. My understanding is that the 2016 RX450h was available in both FWD and AWD, but in 2017, all RX450h models came with AWD.
Old 04-24-17, 05:38 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i was up at Mt. Charleston and i purposely drove the RXh (Fsport so AWD is the only option) into the snow, my parents was in the car, car got stuck with all 4 wheels spinning free standing still, my mom was **** and yelling at me the entire time trying the dig the car out, my dad was outside filming but he didn't press the record button on the phone, so no i don't recommend it, maybe because i got all season tire rather than snow tire, but I never have that issue with previous BMW X3 and Acura MDX (all season tires) , also purposely drove into the snow as well, anyway the 450h just don't seems to grip at all, or the computer don't know that the car is losing traction, ya i know it sound stupid, but at least i know ahead of time what the cars are capable of.

living in west coast my whole life i rarely have to drive in the snow so i don't have much experiences with it, but went to Iceland quite a few times with their rental car on stud tires it is pretty darn fun.
Old 04-26-17, 01:35 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
i was up at Mt. Charleston and i purposely drove the RXh (Fsport so AWD is the only option) into the snow, my parents was in the car, car got stuck with all 4 wheels spinning free standing still, my mom was **** and yelling at me the entire time trying the dig the car out, my dad was outside filming but he didn't press the record button on the phone, so no i don't recommend it, maybe because i got all season tire rather than snow tire, but I never have that issue with previous BMW X3 and Acura MDX (all season tires) , also purposely drove into the snow as well, anyway the 450h just don't seems to grip at all, or the computer don't know that the car is losing traction, ya i know it sound stupid, but at least i know ahead of time what the cars are capable of.

living in west coast my whole life i rarely have to drive in the snow so i don't have much experiences with it, but went to Iceland quite a few times with their rental car on stud tires it is pretty darn fun.
If all 4 wheels are spinning free, you beached your car on top of the snow. Doesn't matter what AWD system you have if you beached your car. How deep was the snow??
The following 2 users liked this post by ericsan13:
ClaytonW (11-06-21), ggebhardt (06-28-17)
Old 12-04-18, 05:25 PM
6thLexus
Driver School Candidate

Default AWD in 2018 Lexus RX 450H

What do I have to do when I hit the snow in this car? will it automatically go into AWD mode?
Old 12-05-18, 05:16 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 6thLexus
What do I have to do when I hit the snow in this car? will it automatically go into AWD mode?
nothing, just keep driving.
there is a display in the center information area that will show the 4 wheels with lines or dots on each to show power distribution. (might be on the main menu, then scroll up or down, close to the coffee and the tpms display) if your interested to see it working.
The following users liked this post:
6thLexus (12-05-18)
Old 12-05-18, 06:21 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

I have only had my 450hl for a few months, but here in Grand Lake it seems to work very well in snow. My wife has a 2016 Toyota Rav hybrid, and it has the exact drive system and has done very well in all kinds of deep snow and ice conditions. Remember that AWD is not the same as 4WD, in that AWD only engages the rear wheels when it needs the traction. Sometimes it might be necessary to turn off the traction control so the system is forced to engage both the front and rear drive. AWDs are more economical to drive as for the most part less gears are turning. Unless you buy a Jeep type vehicle, SUVs are not really designed for off road use. You will not have any issues driving the RX on graded roads in just about any conditions.
The following users liked this post:
6thLexus (12-05-18)
Old 12-05-18, 07:50 AM
6thLexus
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up AWD in the snow

Originally Posted by JSracer
nothing, just keep driving.
there is a display in the center information area that will show the 4 wheels with lines or dots on each to show power distribution. (might be on the main menu, then scroll up or down, close to the coffee and the tpms display) if your interested to see it working.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer this question

Quick Reply: Lexus 450h in Snow