Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

RX450h Mileage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-16, 11:53 AM
Ssteve
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RX450h mileage in Club Lexus Cars and Rumors Article

If you go to Club Lexus > Cars and Rumors > RX, there is an article comparing the RX450h to a BMW and Mercedes in Great Britain. In the review the RX rated MPG is OVER 50 MPG, and the test driver says he is getting close to that. Does anyone know why the RX450h in Britain gets such fantastic milage???
Old 09-22-16, 12:39 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

A UK gallon is bigger than a gallon in the States.

UK Gallon is 4.546 litres
US Gallon is 3.785 litres

So if you could get 40 miles to the gallon in the States, suspect perfect conditions and a tail wind and NOT a 4 WD. You would get 48 mpg with the bigger gallon.

Maybe that's the difference??
Old 09-22-16, 01:05 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The mileage tests in Europe are far different and very...uh...optimistic. I know this is wiki, but it's pretty accurate for what the manufacturers do to improve their numbers:

The major loopholes in the current EU tests allow car manufacturers a number of ‘cheats’ to improve results. Car manufacturers can:
  • Disconnect the alternator, thus no energy is used to recharge the battery;
  • Use special lubricants that are not used in production cars, in order to reduce friction;
  • Turn off all electrical gadgets i.e. Air Con/Radio;
  • Adjust brakes or even disconnect them to reduce friction;
  • Tape up cracks between body panels and windows to reduce air resistance;
  • Remove Wing mirrors.[49]
According to the results of a 2014 study by the International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT), the gap between official and real-world fuel-economy figures in Europe has risen to about 38% in 2013 from 10% in 2001. The analysis found that for private cars, the difference between on-road and official CO2 values rose from around 8% in 2001 to 31% in 2013, and 45% for company cars in 2013. The report is based on data from more than half a million private and company vehicles across Europe. The analysis was prepared by the ICCT together with the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research (TNO), and the German Institut für Energie- und Umweltforschung Heidelberg (IFEU).[50]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_e...mobiles#Europe
Old 09-23-16, 03:11 PM
mikli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice photo above!

In Canada with my F Sport 450h after 2000km I'm averaging 7.6L/100km or 30.95MPG with 91 gas. I'm pretty happy with the result. We took it up to Whistler all in Sport and Sport+ modes which was fun with good enough power (ave trip 9.1L/100km) but handling was still not as good as our other BMW X6 3.5.
Old 10-01-16, 02:51 PM
innomind
Driver School Candidate

I got exactly the same 16 RX450h fully loaded and I get the same milage as yours - 14mpg. Did you discover why? I got mine less than a week ago...

Thanks

Originally Posted by SurfCat007
I bought my new loaded RX450H specifically for the mileage listed. I gave up my BMW 750IL which was getting 16 city/22 highway (which got better mileage highway at 85mpg then 65mph) in search for better mpg.

​This RX450H is only getting around 14mpg city, and maxing at 24-26 highway. It gets much worse at speeds over 75mpg (like 23/24 at 85mph). I'm regretting the purchase.

As most of my driving is around town, the 14mpg avg around town is hugely disappointing, especially when it's advertised at 30mpg. I've tried all modes (eco, normal, sport) and no real difference. I've tried driving like a grandma/limo driver and just normal light footed driving. No real difference.

I live in Southern California, by the beach. Climate is mild. All streets are flat (no hills). Gas is premium. Summer fuel mix. What gives?
Old 10-02-16, 07:48 PM
ssmtsx
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

My avg for the past 2000 miles is 32.9. My last two tanks were 33.6 and 33.4. I was averaging 28-29 on my '13 RXh.
Old 10-05-16, 07:34 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Still rocking 32+ MPGs in Houston with 8,246 mile on the ODO. Temps are starting to come down but I will admit that when it goes 95+ the mileage comes down, sometimes to a tank average of 29.5. But I have never seen it below ~27 and it's typically only that low for part of the tank. I mostly watch the average after refuel and I "update" the stats monthly, typically around the first of each month (if I remember!). I almost never take it out of normal mode. Sometimes I'll put it in Sport mode to see the tach show up cuz it's kinda cool. Photo was taken while at a stop light on my way into work this morning.

As others have said, I also try to use the radar cruise whenever I can for 2 reasons: first, I usually have it set for max distance between vehicles so it will slow me down a bit more gradually; second, I go from the west burbs to downtown (25 miles each way) twice a week and in Houston traffic on I-10 it does a nice job of pacing the vehicles in front of me and adjusts well to the vehicles that "jump" in front of me when my lane appears to be going 1 mph faster.

I keep my tire pressure ~34psi cold. The TPMS only reports pressures in whole numbers so many times 2 tires are at 33 (right side) and 2 are at 34 (left side) cold. When they begin to warm up they typically indicate the same. I also would have guessed the pressure should be closer to 38 but the ride is nice at 34.

Old 10-05-16, 07:55 AM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
Still rocking 32+ MPGs in Houston with 8,246 mile on the ODO. Temps are starting to come down but I will admit that when it goes 95+ the mileage comes down, sometimes to a tank average of 29.5. But I have never seen it below ~27 and it's typically only that low for part of the tank. I mostly watch the average after refuel and I "update" the stats monthly, typically around the first of each month (if I remember!). I almost never take it out of normal mode. Sometimes I'll put it in Sport mode to see the tach show up cuz it's kinda cool. Photo was taken while at a stop light on my way into work this morning.

As others have said, I also try to use the radar cruise whenever I can for 2 reasons: first, I usually have it set for max distance between vehicles so it will slow me down a bit more gradually; second, I go from the west burbs to downtown (25 miles each way) twice a week and in Houston traffic on I-10 it does a nice job of pacing the vehicles in front of me and adjusts well to the vehicles that "jump" in front of me when my lane appears to be going 1 mph faster.

I keep my tire pressure ~34psi cold. The TPMS only reports pressures in whole numbers so many times 2 tires are at 33 (right side) and 2 are at 34 (left side) cold. When they begin to warm up they typically indicate the same. I also would have guessed the pressure should be closer to 38 but the ride is nice at 34.
How you are achieving these high MPGs is astonishing to me! I can barely get 27mpg and maybe 28mpg on a good week.
I live in Chicago, temps aren't extreme in the summer but winters are bitter cold, but I haven't had my RX thru a Chicago winter yet. I drive in city traffic every day, so technically I should be getting the best MPGs out there, right? Well no...that is not the case. I find the engine idles really loud while I'm at complete stop and seems to be working more than the ellusive "EV" light comes on. It's so frustrating. I have found though that the RX gets better MPGs at Normal Mode. Forget Eco Mode. The car just performed pretty much like a gas engine only achieving MPGs in the low 20s! Using the radar cruise control is actually scary in the city with many aggressive drivers cutting you off to get in front if you are driving slightly slower than the car in front of you. I just don't know what to do anymore

TexasRxH, do you drive in stop and go traffic or mainly cruising suburban type traffic? Do you or anyone else can provide suggestions if you are in similar driving conditions? Much appreciated.
Old 10-05-16, 10:31 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JosersRX
How you are achieving these high MPGs is astonishing to me! I can barely get 27mpg and maybe 28mpg on a good week.
I live in Chicago, temps aren't extreme in the summer but winters are bitter cold, but I haven't had my RX thru a Chicago winter yet. I drive in city traffic every day, so technically I should be getting the best MPGs out there, right? Well no...that is not the case. I find the engine idles really loud while I'm at complete stop and seems to be working more than the ellusive "EV" light comes on. It's so frustrating. I have found though that the RX gets better MPGs at Normal Mode. Forget Eco Mode. The car just performed pretty much like a gas engine only achieving MPGs in the low 20s! Using the radar cruise control is actually scary in the city with many aggressive drivers cutting you off to get in front if you are driving slightly slower than the car in front of you. I just don't know what to do anymore

TexasRxH, do you drive in stop and go traffic or mainly cruising suburban type traffic? Do you or anyone else can provide suggestions if you are in similar driving conditions? Much appreciated.
Same here, except Washington. Mostly city and getting an average of 27MPG. 16 minute commute, 4.5 miles each way. You?
Old 10-05-16, 10:41 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm still getting between 29-30 MPG consistently on my 5-6 mile suburban commute with hills. Nothing above 40 MPH and throw in some traffic now that schools are open. So it's like being in the city. And that''s with eco mode on. I haven't tried other modes yet.
Old 10-06-16, 06:45 AM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Same here, except Washington. Mostly city and getting an average of 27MPG. 16 minute commute, 4.5 miles each way. You?
Pretty much... but traffic in Chicago is no joke... it's hard to compare to what most folks think is "traffic"... it takes over an hour to maneuver my way to/from work and its only 7miles away! So, I'm waiting on someone in the area who can chime in.
Old 10-08-16, 07:19 PM
innomind
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by innomind
I got exactly the same 16 RX450h fully loaded and I get the same milage as yours - 14mpg. Did you discover why? I got mine less than a week ago...

Thanks
Recently I took my 16 RX450h on a road trip from NYC to Philly, mostly driving with cruise control in Eco mode. The MPG went up to 27, and now down to 26.8 average. Tire pressure is 42 in 70-degree weather and was like this from the dealership. I filled the second tank with regular gas, the first tank was from the dealership so I don't know if they used super or regular gas. Does anyone experience better mileage if using super compared to regular gasoline?

Thanks!!

Last edited by innomind; 10-08-16 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 04:34 PM
Old300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 RX450h mileage

I bought our RX450h F Sport at the end of June. I don't really consider myself a hyper-miler, but I'm sure many people would. Anyway, my first several tankfulls were around 31-33 mpg, and it didn't seem to matter much if it was mixed city/hwy or mostly city driving. This was with the tire pressures at around 39 lbs, which is where they were when I took delivery at Lexus of Portland. After a few tankfuls, I reduced the tire pressures to about 36 lbs, and since then, the mileage seems lower, between 30-31. Just today, I adjusted the tires to 38 lbs, so will be anxious to see if it makes any difference. I also own a 2010 Prius, and a couple years ago, I concluded the Prius mileage is sensitive to tire quality (ie green, environmental tires), so I wonder if I will have the same conclusion for my 450h, and if sensitive to tire quality, maybe also sensitive to tire pressures.
Old 10-17-16, 05:53 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My typical commute is about 15 miles each way on "normal" roads with a fair amount of traffic - some days less, some days more. Houston is pretty flat, so no hills. Afternoon traffic is always worse than morning; I guess I get in a bit earlier than most. As stated previously I am 99.9% in Normal drive mode, [Bridgestone] tires ~ 34psi on the luxury wheels, I do go into the white area on acceleration from a stop, and I have AWD.

JosersRX, what's your average temp this time of year? I have lived in Chicago twice during my life (many years ago) and remember that the sun doesn't shine much and it gets really cold in winter. If the vehicle requires heat (at all) then the ICE (engine) must run. We just don't have a lot of COLD days in Houston. As someone told me when we moved here: "we get 3 seasons: summer, July and August." The ICE will always run when vehicle is first started (cold) until it reaches normal operating temperature. I'm guessing it would also run even when the battery is fully charged if it falls below that temp.

On weekends when we're running errands the wife often wants to sit in the car while I run into the cleaners, etc so I leave the vehicle running (cuz it's hot outside). Once the ICE has to kick in to recharge the hybrid battery you can watch the MPGs start falling. When it does start it's not like an idle RPM, it's much higher. That may be the engine noise you hear. You can switch to sport mode and see what the tach says in EV mode when stopped vs ICE running stopped. On days when I have to go to the dealership for service I have to get on I-10. Morning traffic heading in to downtown is atrocious (very slow and bumper-to-bumper). I notice the mileage is horrible on those days. ICE will kick on often because you are never going fast enough for long enough to recharge the hybrid battery. My guess is that's your situation. A friend of mine who lived in Naperville used to have a 400h. Other than the CVT he said a Lexus hybrid in Chicago weather and traffic may not be worth the extra cost...except that it gets better mileage than the Rx350.
Old 02-04-17, 02:35 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by innomind
Recently I took my 16 RX450h on a road trip from NYC to Philly, mostly driving with cruise control in Eco mode. The MPG went up to 27, and now down to 26.8 average. Tire pressure is 42 in 70-degree weather and was like this from the dealership. I filled the second tank with regular gas, the first tank was from the dealership so I don't know if they used super or regular gas. Does anyone experience better mileage if using super compared to regular gasoline?

Thanks!!
Most likely the dealer filled your tank with regular. Larger Lexus dealers have their own tanks and only have regular gas in them. Even if they took it to a station, I am betting regular gas was used.

Regular gas will slightly decrease available hp and could make maybe a mile per gallon decrease in power. Lexus says you should use high test but it is only because they want to enhance their EPA number. Your vehicle will hardly notice the difference and the cost of hightest is obscene and kills much of the efficiency of owning a hybrid.

Quick Reply: RX450h Mileage Thread