Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

RX450h Mileage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-19, 02:20 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Mobob
Gadgetman1,

I normally fill up my tank every week. I had my car since Feb. 2019. I completely agree with you that these numbers are not typical.

I am just curious and try to find out what's the best mpg limit for the 4th gen RX hybrid. It still surprise me every time I fill up the car. A good tip would be try to charge up the battery and then stay on battery power as long as possible. Without that hybrid battery, it is just like the regular RX.

What's the mpg for your Camaro?
I have tried to stay on battery, the A/C sucks it away fast & I can’t seem to keep the gas motor from kicking in after 30 mph. Almost all of the roads I drive any distance on are 40+ mph, requiring the gas motor to take over. The Camaro is a 6 speed manual (which does not have active fuel management). We are getting consistent 26 mpg highway at 75+ mph & around town is about 14 mpg. It only has 2800 miles on it, so the mpg should come up a bit with more miles. We are planning a road trip in June that should give us a good baseline. The Lexus has 24,000 miles & it’s 2nd set of tires. OEM tires are garbage on the RX (another thread).
Old 04-24-19, 10:37 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I returned my 2019 RX350 loaner after having driven it 316 miles. During that time, it averaged 17.6MPG. I drove it the same way and in the same conditions as my hybrid. During the past month, my hybrid averaged 24.5MPG for a gap of 6.9MPG. I've been using regular octane in my hybrid for some time now too.
The following users liked this post:
Oldfart (07-08-19)
Old 04-25-19, 07:36 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

FWIW, I saw about a 2 mpg bump from the tank of regular the dealer gave me and premium. I've seen no measurable difference between top-tier premium and others however.
Old 04-25-19, 07:47 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

I've found that you actually can drive in EV mode intentionally without using the button. The car will kill the engine if you are coasting (at any speed) and at stop lights. If the battery is up to it, you can drive on the battery alone so long as your throttle response stays in the first 0-50% range of the ECO range on the display (I have the F-sport which has Eco and Power bands, not sure what the others look like). I was wrong before in that you can actually start from a dead stop this way - I've gone from 0 - 25 mph, but you have to have space because you accelerate very slowly. But it will do it. At speed, that 0-50% range doesn't give you much to work with so holding speed can be tough - the faster you go the harder of course. I've noticed that once you trip the 50% mark the engine will kick on. It's not 100% - some times I've gone past it it stays in EV, but I would say 19 out or 20 times the engine fires up once you go over 50%.
Old 04-25-19, 08:55 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by 1Louder
FWIW, I saw about a 2 mpg bump from the tank of regular the dealer gave me and premium. I've seen no measurable difference between top-tier premium and others however.
How do you know the dealer put regular in it? That’s very interesting that a dealer would put regular in a car labeled for super. My mpg experience is the exact opposite of yours. Top Tier regular does better than non-top Tier super. No difference whatsoever between non-top Tier regular & super.
Old 04-26-19, 07:33 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
How do you know the dealer put regular in it? That’s very interesting that a dealer would put regular in a car labeled for super. My mpg experience is the exact opposite of yours. Top Tier regular does better than non-top Tier super. No difference whatsoever between non-top Tier regular & super.
I admit I'm making an educated guess. My dealer told me - more than once - regular was just fine and basically recommended it. Second, the tank was close to empty on the test drive so I know they had to fill the entire tank for me (they sent me away with a full tank), and I doubt they spent the extra money for premium. No reason why they should really.
Old 05-01-19, 06:53 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Not a bad drive into work today. I filled up this morning so I reset the trip data. Just over 22 miles and just over 40 mpg. Which I could sustain that!

Getty (05-01-19)
Old 05-10-19, 12:57 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default '17 450h F Sport: 18-Month MPG update

purchased Oct 2017. now 18 months later, 8k miles, gauge shows avg 29.6 mpg (93 octane only, always in eco mode).

mostly in-town driving, and that's during 2 winters (when hybrid mileage is lower). could probably beat that if i used a lighter pedal but that's no fun.
Old 05-13-19, 06:38 AM
mkhart
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used 2 brands of top tier premium fuel and the mileage was better for a short distance for one, then dropped, and on the other brand the mileage was worse. I use only top tier regular now.
Old 05-13-19, 08:55 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by winsalem
purchased Oct 2017. now 18 months later, 8k miles, gauge shows avg 29.6 mpg (93 octane only, always in eco mode).

mostly in-town driving, and that's during 2 winters (when hybrid mileage is lower). could probably beat that if i used a lighter pedal but that's no fun.
That is a very respectable mpg! I can’t knock these guys that are claiming 35+ mpg, but that is certainly not anywhere near mainstream normal. I’m envious & glad they can achieve those awesome numbers. I have a choice of just two Top Tier fuels: 1)Shell (stupid expensive) and 2) Chevron. I have to drive at least 100 miles away to get any other brands.

I thought about an experiment. Has anyone tried using an ethanol treatment in their tank? I’m curious if that makes any difference as I notice I get much worse fuel mileage with cheaper grade fuels, no matter what octane they carry. All that changes Top Tier from non Top-Tier, is additives.

I have never seen 30 mpg on my 450h, but it’s probably capable of it under ideal conditions. I have been able to bump my mpg up a tiny bit by hitting the EV button, but it’s only effective less than 25% of the time. Usually, I will get a message saying “Unavailable” or Speed to Great” or “Pedal Depressed too Far” (that’s unavoidable when stopping on a hill or when needing to accelerate up an entrance ramp, even if the max speed is perhaps 45 mph. This thing is maddening with variables. I have noticed the Chevy 6.2 V-8 is extremely forgiving if I punch it once or twice. I can still get 25-26 mpg at 75 mph & 14 mpg around town & it’s nowhere near broken in yet. I don’t drive the Lexus like that, yet the Chevy will beat it on the highway any day. I think the 450h outweighs the SS by several hundred pounds, empty (maybe from batteries).
winsalem (02-28-21)
Old 05-13-19, 02:09 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Chevy Camaro SS curb weight: 3685 lb.
RX 450h curb weight: 4779 lb and shaped like a brick.

The Camaro's big V8 is barely doing any work at regular highway speeds especially with its gearing. Can't compare the highway mileage between the two. The RX's gearing is geared towards EPA highway speeds; and is best at 60-70 mph. Anything more, and physics takes over. Same if you push the Camaro to over 100mph.
Old 05-17-19, 12:27 PM
Alexus415
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Been using regular gas on my 450H . Am i missing something? I was told regular gas works fine on the 450h when purchasing. I don't notice anything different and runs great. I'm getting around 28 combined mpg
Old 05-17-19, 06:56 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alexus415
Been using regular gas on my 450H . Am i missing something? I was told regular gas works fine on the 450h when purchasing. I don't notice anything different and runs great. I'm getting around 28 combined mpg
True it works, but in general when an engine is designed for premium and you use regular, the typical result is a slight reduction in hp and usually a bit worse mpg. I think both are difficult to notice in a car like the 450h however. You can always just try a tank of premium and see if you can tell a difference. For me, I got a small bump in mpg (like 30 -> 32). I think the engine producing the designed hp also helps since part of the engine's job is to recharge the battery pack.

But since driving styles and conditions vary so much, best way to know is just experiment and see how it works for you.
Old 07-02-19, 07:09 PM
Mobob
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think this is probably the best mpg I can achieve with my 2019 RX450h. The mpg shown in the car is actually lower than the real mpg. The best fuel-up I had is around 60 mpg. It is time for my 10K miles service now...

Keep in mind that this is under ideal driving condition only, not your typical driving condition.

Old 07-22-19, 12:18 PM
Metalrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx 450H AWD Fuel Range

Hello all,

I just purchased a 2017 RX 450H F Sport Series 3 with around 18k miles. I love the car so far - it is very relaxing and enjoyable to drive.

I have a question regarding the fuel range on a full tank. I filled up my car with premium fuel and it only showed 330 mile range. Is that normal? What is your mile range when you fill up full?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: RX450h Mileage Thread