Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

2011 RX450h need help with electrical system problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-15, 03:37 AM
Orchlon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 RX450h need help with electrical system problem

My mom has owned the car since tuesday and on saturday the car said to check the hybrid systems. Took it to a mechanic and the code says "P0A08 DC/DC Converter Status Circuit". I don't understand what the code means, I assume there's a fault with the circuit. The shop told my mom they'll call her after they've come to a conclusion.

The car drives absolutely fine, the hybrid system still seems to work fine and the batteries are getting charged, which I wind weird if the board is faulty. Is this a common issue? or possibly the converter isn't getting cooled? The coolant is there but I don't know how to check the pump. I'd really like a 3rd opinion (she took it to 2 mechanics) and also I'm having trouble finding the exact part I need and I have no idea how much the part costs.
Old 10-04-15, 02:27 PM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be as simple as a fuse or the 12v regular battery needs replaced. The battery can be checked at Autozone (or some other place that will freely check the status of your battery).
I'm not sure which specific fuse this error may affect.

Other causes could be the actual converter, ECU, or a hose/duct not connected back properly after service.

Just my opinions - i'm no expert nor even near one.
Old 10-04-15, 11:13 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles on this car? Did you buy from a Lexus dealer? Did she get any sort of warranty?
Old 10-05-15, 03:07 AM
Orchlon
Driver School Candidate

104k, bought at an auction and shipped from washington to east asia so a warranty would be kind of moot. We weren't physically there at the time of purchase so I know it was risky but the car had a clean title and was driven by a woman since it was new.

Also since the car's throwing me a "P0A08 DC/DC Converter Status Circuit" error wouldn't the problem be isolated at the converter?
Old 10-05-15, 10:45 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The only thing I found is to try to replace the 12V battery:
http://priuschat.com/threads/p0a08-error-code.84619/
Obviously the inverter cooling would be the first place to look at.
Old 10-18-15, 01:03 AM
Orchlon
Driver School Candidate

Tried putting a different battery in, didn't work. Also replaced the converter coolant pump and made absolutely no difference. Might have to replace the entire DC/DC converter circuit.

Also why would we look at the inverter cooling? The problem is (or at least should) be isolated at the converter, unless the inverter and the converter are the same thing.
Old 10-20-15, 08:12 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

I believe the converter and inverter are built into the same unit, but not 100% sure. I was just wondering if you clear the code, does the code come back immediately or after driving for a while. If it comes back immediately on a cold start, then it seems unlikely the condition is due to a cooling problem. Not sure if this is one of these codes that will clear itself if the problem is fixed, or retains the code even if the condition no longer exists.

If the 12V battery is still getting charged and the vehicle works normally for extended periods, then it seems the DC/DC converter is working fine. If it throws the code immediately before an overheat issue could be the cause, then maybe the only thing left is the control unit is generating a faulty error signal (the error is the error).

I came across this diagnostic manual for this particular code. It is for a 2007 Altima Hybrid, but that particular car used a licensed clone of the Camry Hybrid system and thus is actually pretty similar to the hybrid system in the RX.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/AUT...ma_HEV/hbc.pdf

Maybe it will give you some better insight.
Old 10-22-15, 07:33 AM
Orchlon
Driver School Candidate

After clearing the code (either by technicians or by unplugging and plugging the battery, both works) the code comes on in less than 2km of driving. My mom took it to the only official Toyota dealer here in Mongolia and they used a diagnostic manual (or a service manual) for her specific car and after 5 hours and about half a dozen technicians they still couldn't fix the car. They also specifically checked the temperature of the DC/DC converter while the car was running and found it to be not overheating.

At this point we simply do not care anymore.
Old 08-16-16, 07:12 AM
Orchlon
Driver School Candidate

Well the car's fixed, the error randomly went away on June, 8 months after driving the car with the error.
Old 08-16-16, 07:18 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I had a code come up as well on our Hybrid. Turned out to be a worn-out wire in the wiring loom that techs patched after 2 days of troubleshooting.
My code was P0A2D - Drive Motor "A" Temperature Sensor Circuit High.