Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES300h - Need for Transmission Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 06:32 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

As noted in the TCH forum link posted earlier, our CVT transmission is not really a transmission in the traditional sense. It's a power split device (PSD) per Toyota. The fluid is not subjected to the same stress such as high pressure in a traditional transmission. The fluid should last longer than in a traditional tranny, but as already stated no fluid lasts forever. I am amazed at our dealership's insistence that the fluid doesn't need to be changed on this or our rx350. Fortunately the fluid change on the CVT is essentially a drain and fill proposition unlike the standard Toyota tranny in our Rx.
Old 08-16-19, 06:09 AM
rajenmodi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up ES300h - need for transmission fluid change

I changed the CVT fluid in my ES300h twice already.
1st sign of fluid change need is the drop in the gas mileage. If you are not getting gas mileage between 38 and 42 miles per gallon then I would recommend that please check and change the CVT fluid.
I use this CVT fluid; TOYOTA OEM CVT FLUID FE 4L 08886-02505It's not cheap but worth every penny. You can buy on ebay. I have 118000 plus miles on my ES300h and no issues with anything.
Old 08-16-19, 10:25 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,081 Likes on 702 Posts

Many chime in with oh yes it needs to be changed and nothing last forever. They have ZERO experience on transmissions especially Lexus transmissions.

My local Lexus Service manager who has 25 years experience working on Lexus vehicles and has been trained by Lexus said it never needs to be changed. He went to Detroit where the transmissions are made for training and asked what is the #1 cause of Lexus transmission failing. Their reply was the wrong level of fluid and the wrong fluid. Both of these are factors in one changing the fluid. I will save my money and never change the fluid and listen to the experts. Never changed the transmission fluid and never had one problem. Asked him what lifetime meant and see said life of the car.
Old 08-16-19, 02:05 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Oh my goodness if I have to keep seeing this same post every 3 days....

So don’t add the wrong amount of fluid or the wrong type or have a technician do it who won’t add the wrong amount or type of fluid. I’ve had about 5 flushes in my ES from Toyota dealers and never have had a single problem in like 200,000 miles of use on the ES 350 transmission. Before that I changed my own fluid over around 300,000 miles. Haven’t had any transmission problems since around 1998 when a line got pulled out during driving in the snow.
Old 08-16-19, 05:13 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,081 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
Oh my goodness if I have to keep seeing this same post every 3 days....

So don’t add the wrong amount of fluid or the wrong type or have a technician do it who won’t add the wrong amount or type of fluid. I’ve had about 5 flushes in my ES from Toyota dealers and never have had a single problem in like 200,000 miles of use on the ES 350 transmission. Before that I changed my own fluid over around 300,000 miles. Haven’t had any transmission problems since around 1998 when a line got pulled out during driving in the snow.
Post it every time someone starts a thread about transmission fluid. This comment is the only one from a Lexus Service manager with 25 years experience. have you ever read any other from a Lexus trained Service Manager. Here is a thought. When you see the blue Lexus avatar don't read it. You will not hurt my feelings. I will do the same when I see your post. So you have changed your transmission fluid and never had a problem. I have never changed my transmission fluid and never had a problem.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (08-17-19)
Old 08-19-19, 02:06 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

On a Rav4 forum that I follow there is a guy with 300k on 2017 hybrid (same transmission as our ES300h). He is still on his original transmission and brake fluids.
Old 11-18-19, 07:20 PM
RoadComic
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If it helps, the local cab company I used to drive for has 600 vehicles and a large number of them are Camry Hybrids which have our sale drive train. They never change the transmission fluid and they routinely get 400k out of the cars without issue.
The following 3 users liked this post by RoadComic:
bc6152 (11-19-19), jollick (11-19-19), NdYAG (10-07-23)
Old 11-22-19, 12:17 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

I took my ES over to a local Toyota dealership today to get the oil and filter changed.. while I was there I got to talking to one of the service writers and even though my car is no where near 100k miles, I asked him what was that dealerships policy ( thinking ) on changing transmission fluid.. He said that they thought changing the transmission fluid around 60 top 80 thousand miles was best.. no problem waiting til 100 K, but that might be waiting just a bit too long.. He also told me that if the vehicle is having any issues with shifting, lagging, anything... they won't do it.. the transmission has to be in perfect working order for them to do it... also said that when pumping the old fluid out, if they saw any metal shavings they stop the procedure... they'll just refill however much was drained and give you the car back.. btw, charge for this was "around" 260 bucks. Just thought I'd share this with you guys since you were all discussing it. Personally, I don't know if I'll change my tranny fluid or not... I just hit 50K miles on my 2013 so I still have a way to go before I need to worry about. it.

Roland
Old 11-22-19, 03:41 PM
MRMORGAN
Driver School Candidate

Well I personally have 190k miles on my lexus.I changed the ecvt transmission fluid at 150k.The transmission runs smoothly and does not make that mild noise I was noticing.The fluid was black and I am glad i changed it, since fluid breaks down over time.I contacted Asin the Manufacturer of most Toyota/.Lexus product and they told me to change it every 100k miles.I am going to change it every 50k miles.It takes 3.9 quarts and there's a drain and fill plug and no filter.It's $40 for the fluid on Amazon.You use a small pump to add the fluid.Good luck!
Old 11-22-19, 10:10 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Not casting aspersions your way, but can’t understand their thinking,

“if the vehicle is having any issues with shifting, lagging, anything... they won't do it.. the transmission has to be in perfect working order for them to do it... also said that when pumping the old fluid out, if they saw any metal shavings they stop the procedure...”

wouldnt one do a fluid change to see see if it could fix a problem? As many have before? With success?

Stop the procedure, then what?

Seems ludicrous to say if your transmission is perfect, we’ll fix it!

Last edited by st1800; 11-22-19 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-23-19, 12:35 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by st1800
Not casting aspersions your way, but can’t understand their thinking,

“Stop the procedure, then what?

Seems ludicrous to say if your transmission is perfect, we’ll fix it!
That's exactly what I asked.. answer given was they would stop draining the transmission fluid and then replace with the amount of fluid needed to get it back where it should be... At first I thought his answers were because I had a Lexus at a Toyota dealership... however I remember mentioning to him that I had a 4 runner when I first brought this subject up.. So I don't exactly know what he meant.. I don't think it's meant as if your transmission is perfect we'll fix it... after all, this really isn't a repair.. it's scheduled ( preventative ) maintenance... I have a friend that is a master mechanic that used to work at the local lexus dealership.. he has since gone on to a much bigger dealership out of state.. I'll message him and see what his thoughts are on this.... and the debate continues.... lol

The following users liked this post:
st1800 (11-23-19)
Old 11-27-20, 03:41 PM
OscarA
Driver School Candidate

Default Mr

Originally Posted by rajenmodi
I changed the CVT fluid in my ES300h twice already.
1st sign of fluid change need is the drop in the gas mileage. If you are not getting gas mileage between 38 and 42 miles per gallon then I would recommend that please check and change the CVT fluid.
I use this CVT fluid; TOYOTA OEM CVT FLUID FE 4L 08886-02505It's not cheap but worth every penny. You can buy on ebay. I have 118000 plus miles on my ES300h and no issues with anything.
Hello,
My ES300H just reached 100k miles. Where exactly is the drain and fill? What's the best to do it? Very difficult finding video or info.
Thanks
Oscar
Old 11-28-20, 10:21 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Here is a link to a thread about it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...l#post10711478

Here is a link to a video. It’s for a prius but the process looks the same. There was a great video for an avalon on YouTube but I can’t find it anymore:
Old 12-25-20, 08:48 PM
losiglow
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Replaced mine at 50k and again at 90k. Maybe overkill. I'm used to Honda transmissions which are not incredibly reliable. Either way, no noticable change (negative or positive). But no regrets either. Toyota WS fluid isn't that expensive. Like $7 per qt.
Old 04-08-21, 11:23 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

My Local Dealership wich always does good for tranmission work i have had 1 tranmission replaced on my old 5th gen and earlier 6th gen
each one around 240 and 260k
i just had my 2016 ES300h tranmission fluid changed at 120K its been another 32k since then about 4 months since i think
and runs great no issues at all.
They did it for free because they screwed up the sunroof install when i had the sunroof assembly replaced under warranty they got paid like 2600 for the entire sunroof assembly to be replaced and about 20 minutes latter after driving away it started to rattle again i was pissed it was a friday no time to leave it or bring it back till the following tuesday the service manager asked what i would like and i said change the trans fluid for me
i never have it flushed on any of my cars only thing i would ever do with trans fluid is have them drain it out and fill it to proper level

i exspect to put another 80-100k on the car in the next 9-11 months between now and trade in and i exspect no issues at all

Quick Reply: ES300h - Need for Transmission Oil Change?