Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Issues towing boat up boat ramp.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 02:04 PM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Issues towing boat up boat ramp.

I have been towing our boat with the hybrid for several years now. Recently the water levels in CA have been very low. Because of this the boat ramps are almost completely out of the water. The bottom of the boat ramps are a concrete ledge that is usually a small 6 inch drop off with large rocks to catch you. This 6" curb is what is causing the issue.

Getting a loaded trailer up this curb takes a fair amount of torque and traction. Both of which the AWD RX400h has. The problem is that the software severely limits power to the wheels at a dead stand still. Power delivery is increased quickly as soon as wheels start rolling.

So with the 3000 lb boat up against the small curb, the RX is not capable of generating enough power to pull it up this curb. Even with the pedal floored. It just sits there at 1500 rpm and does nothing. To get it up the curb I resort to backing up to get a small running start but this is risky and could trap me even farther out. It also puts the rear wheels on the wet part of the ramp. Not that they get enough torque to spin but I still don't like it.

Other than this issue the hybrid is a great tow vehicle. It has lots of mid range torque. There are no clutches to wear or overheat in the transmission. The brakes are strong and do not overheat. And the rear springs are firm and don't sag.
Old 03-19-15, 04:12 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

That picture just scares me, I can see the hybrid in the water with water on the batteries....
Old 03-19-15, 10:17 AM
Bobomo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand there is a way to bypass traction control. Not sure if this will help, but here it is:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/64588-traction-control-rx-400h/?p=481904#entry481904
Old 03-19-15, 11:00 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobomo
I understand there is a way to bypass traction control. Not sure if this will help, but here it is:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...04#entry481904
Wow. thanks for sending. I will test this out. I am not 100% sure this will help with increasing the power where I am not spinning the wheels. But at least it will help with sand on the ramp and situations where there is some spinning. It also will help with snowy hills where it also stops dead. Below is from link.

I just learned how you can turn off the Traction Control system on an RX 400h:

1. Switch the car off, then switch it on without (ready) light.
2. While on P, press the gas pedal 4 times.
3. Shift to N, press the gas pedal 4 times.
4. Shift to P again, press gas pedal 4 times.
5. Switch the car to ready and drive (at your own risk) without computer controlled wheels!

The next time you start the car it will be back to normal again.
Old 03-30-15, 09:42 AM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by smassey321
Wow. thanks for sending. I will test this out. I am not 100% sure this will help with increasing the power where I am not spinning the wheels. But at least it will help with sand on the ramp and situations where there is some spinning. It also will help with snowy hills where it also stops dead. Below is from link.

I just learned how you can turn off the Traction Control system on an RX 400h:

1. Switch the car off, then switch it on without (ready) light.
2. While on P, press the gas pedal 4 times.
3. Shift to N, press the gas pedal 4 times.
4. Shift to P again, press gas pedal 4 times.
5. Switch the car to ready and drive (at your own risk) without computer controlled wheels!

The next time you start the car it will be back to normal again.
Lets us know the turn out. My guess it is the traction control that is giving you this issue. I had a Chevy pick-up truck get stuck in 6" of snow on grass until i turn off the traction control. Its great to keep you on the road as you travel, but it limits the vehicle when you want to "force" your way over something from as standstill.
Old 12-30-18, 02:42 PM
AzGsTwan
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful color and such a great wheel choice!! Keep up the great work