Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Replacement 12v battery for Lexus RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-18, 03:07 AM
Thomo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An update on what I’ve opted for.
the Lexus option was £255 or £320 fitted but the deal breaker for me was they only give a 1 year warranty on the battery! Granted my original did 7 years but I wouldn’t be happy if it failed in 4 years when that what you can get with other manufactures.
Varta Silver AGM D52~£130 has 4 year warranty. The height is slightly less 20mm so just need a packer and there’s a couple of holes in the hold down brackets that I put a couple of screws through into the packerThe length is 20mm longer 242mm just need to slightly modify plastic battery tray - I just used a Stanley knife to partially cut the and weaken the plastic lip and the battery is sitting perfect and solid.
i powered off another battery during change but positive slipped off briefly. All ok but did come up with system reset as it would have temp lost power

Last edited by Thomo; 01-12-18 at 08:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JPM007 (04-13-19)
Old 01-16-18, 03:23 PM
Ssd108
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
One thing I did observe, though, is that there must have been something which went through some sort of reset activity even though I did not see anything on the display indicating it. I say that because for the first tank of fuel after changing the battery, my MPG's fell off significantly, but then began improving by the time I reached the fill-up point again (within 250 miles). On the current tank of fuel, the MPG's actually seem to be a little better than they had been running previous to the battery change. I need to run longer, though, to see ifW that trend holds up.
Wanted to follow up with you regarding the improved mpg you mention in this post right after replacing your 12 V on your 450H. Kindly provide an update.

Hare Krishna!
Old 01-17-18, 03:08 AM
Thomo
Driver School Candidate

I had average mpg of 99.9 for first couple of miles but that’s cause car was mostly coasting downhill. A 12v battery wont have any impact to “real” mpg. Only will be a perceived change, I.e. average due to Or I ncludes different drivers, time of year or driving styles compared to over a much longer timeframe, my mpg is now ~3 mpg worse than my average Over 2 years. It’s always worse in Winter though.
Old 01-19-18, 12:53 PM
gianttama
Driver School Candidate

Came here because my 13 450h needed a battery. Didn't want to pay $450+ to the dealer and many local stores (Napa/lordco/canadian tire) don't carry one that fits our car. I was this close to getting a optima d51r from Amazon and wait a couple of days for shipping but then I decided to google about group 35 AGM batteries. Found one at the local Walmart, everstart maxx agm, almost matching size with the OEM battery, only maybe an inch shorter (height), decided to give it a try. It is probably not as highly rated as optima but beats OEM by a mile price wise and I don't need to wait for Amazon to ship. It has no venting hole but since it is agm I guess it is ok?

I am in Vancouver BC Canada and it costed me $277 after tax and fees.

Last edited by gianttama; 01-19-18 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 10:13 AM
Lead Lap

Received 749 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by gianttama
only t has no venting hole but since it is agm I guess it is ok?
It’s not safe to have a battery inside without venting.
Old 01-21-18, 10:17 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 481 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by gianttama
Found one at the local Walmart, everstart maxx agm, almost matching size with the OEM battery, only maybe an inch shorter (height), decided to give it a try. It is probably not as highly rated as optima but beats OEM by a mile price wise and I don't need to wait for Amazon to ship. It has no venting hole but since it is agm I guess it is ok?
I've been paying attention to this thread a lot lately as a ponder the eventual replacement for my battery that is nearing it's 9 year birthday. I looked at the Walmart one too, but was concerned with the lack of venting tube connector. It is my understanding that while AGM batteries do not vent "under normal conditions", they all have a pressure relief system to vent if they are overcharged/overheated. Without a venting tube, if said condition were to happen the hydrogen buildup would be vented into the cabin. Hopefully this would be a very rare occurrence. I've been pondering the Exide Edge FP-AGM35 which apparently has a venting tube and will fit in the RXh.The choices in Canada are extremely limited, most choices are some kind of special order with a cost that makes you expect it to be delivered on a diamond encrusted gold plated serving tray by a guy in a $10,000 suit off a private helicopter.

Good luck with that choice though, keep us up to date on how it works out. I'm still going ok on the original with no issues for daily driving, but a have a major stress test coming up, a 2 week park in Baltimore for a cruise. I guess I'll see when I get off the ship. I'll be bringing my portable booster with me just in case.

Last edited by Droid13; 01-21-18 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-21-18, 01:08 PM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yes what Droid said. My wife's 2010 is in the same situation.
Old 01-24-18, 05:10 PM
dankud
Driver School Candidate

My original idea was to replace the conventional lead battery with AGM. As I was told in NAPA it is impossible without modification of the charging circuit or/and alternator. So, I do see much of advantage doing that.
Old 01-26-18, 06:18 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssd108
Wanted to follow up with you regarding the improved mpg you mention in this post right after replacing your 12 V on your 450H. Kindly provide an update.

Hare Krishna!

No continued improvement, but the MPG seems to be falling right around where it was before the battery change.
Old 01-26-18, 10:20 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts
Default Academic question

Has any one looked at the smaller/lighter 12v battery for 450H. The peak current demand is much less so actually the cca can be less. Lexus may be using the standard batteries due to qualification/inventory issues but technically less plates should be OK.

Salim
Old 01-28-18, 07:57 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 481 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by dankud
My original idea was to replace the conventional lead battery with AGM. As I was told in NAPA it is impossible without modification of the charging circuit or/and alternator. So, I do see much of advantage doing that.
AGM is standard equipment.
Old 03-25-18, 01:41 PM
dinofish
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Compatible AGM Battery from Pep Boys

Thanks to everyone for the info in this thread as it helped me find an affordable compatible battery. I thought I'd share for future readers.

I purchased a Bosch Platinum battery from Pep Boys....model/part# 35-650BAGM. https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/838876/00245

This battery was a complete height and width match to the Panasonic battery I replaced in my 2011 RX450h. The battery also includes a vent and vent tube. NOTE: Be sure that the battery you purchase has the vent tube attached, as the Panasonic vent tube is a slightly different size and cannot be used in the Bosch. I paid $189.99 USD for the battery at a Pep Boys in the Cincinnati, OH area. NOTE: Pep Boys often has some "Buy Online, Pickup in the Store" discount codes (I forgot to look....I could have saved nearly $40).

I swapped my battery WITHOUT the use of a battery tender and experienced no issues (no lost radio or seat programming, no window "reprogramming" required, etc.).....the only thing I noticed was my climate temperatures needed to be reset. The vehicle was without battery power for about 5 minutes as I switched the batteries. I did see the "reboot" on the Navigation screen that others have referenced (photo of the screen during "reboot" is attached). I also attached photos of the battery in the vehicle. NOTE: I reused the plastic sleeve covering the Panasonic battery.....I'm not sure of it's purpose, but since it more or less fit I thought I'd use it on the new battery.

Reboot message
The following 3 users liked this post by dinofish:
Kopavi (03-25-18), tempestv8 (03-27-18), zmel (04-02-18)
Old 03-25-18, 03:43 PM
Kopavi
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to post the information and photo about the Bosch battery from Pep Boys. I have a 2011 that is still on the OEM battery and the level was still at 12.0 when I checked it today.. Pep Boys just opened a location in my town so I will definitely go to this route when the time comes to make the replacement. Was the battery in stock or did it require special ordering?

You can check the current level of the 12 volt battery by accessing the Service Menu.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! IF YOU GET INTO THE SERVICE MENU AND START FOOLING AROUND WITH MENUS AND SETTINGS THAT MAY LATER COMPROMISE THE FUNCTION OF YOUR VEHICLE IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

On my 2011, I press the ON button once, then I press and hold the menu button (above and to the left of the remote controller) while flipping the light switch to the on and then the off position rapidly 3-4 times until the Main Menu appears (make sure you flip the light switch to On not Auto) - The Service Main Menu will appear:

Then Select Function Check / Setting and this screen will appear:

Select Vehicle Signal from the menu above and then this screen will appear:

On the upper left of the screen you will see the current level of the battery. The level will change while you watch it in real time.

Last edited by Kopavi; 03-26-18 at 11:11 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kopavi:
alexus77 (04-17-18), tempestv8 (03-27-18), zmel (04-02-18)
Old 03-27-18, 03:42 AM
dinofish
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

"Pep Boys just opened a location in my town so I will definitely go to this route when the time comes to make the replacement. Was the battery in stock or did it require special ordering?"

Yes, the 35-650BAGM. https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/838876/00245 battery was in stock at my Pep Boys store. There were 3+ batteries in the rack at the store.....I had to find one that had the vent tube connector on the battery, there was at least one where the tube was missing.
Old 04-17-18, 05:23 PM
alexus77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kopavi
A while back I received an email from Rockauto that indicated they were now selling batteries. It looks like this battery might work in our 450's. So I thought I would post an update to this thread.

The price is $156.79. Shipping ads $30 for me. If you use a 5% off coupon (search google for code and enter it in the "How did you hear about us field") the price for me shipped to AZ came to $178.94. They only had one in stock at the time this was posted.

The length at 9 1/16 may be a challenge.
The battery has a 48 month warranty and has with the following specs:
  • ​​​​​​Cold Crank Amperage (CCA)650
  • Crank Amperage 780
  • Reserve Capacity (RC) at 25
  • Amp110
  • Amp Hour (Ah) Capacity (20hr) 53
  • Volts12
  • Group Size 35
  • Terminal Type A
  • Handle Yes
  • Length 9 - 1/16 in.
  • Width 6 - 5/8 in.
  • Height 8 - 5/8 in.
I have purchased quite a few parts from Rockauto over the years and have always been satisfied. Their website could use a refresh and is a little quirky to navigate, but their prices have always been very competitive.
Has any one tried this battery yet in their RX450h?

Quick Reply: Replacement 12v battery for Lexus RX450h