Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2015 up NX300H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX300H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other first generation NX models.

How do I get full battery charge?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-14, 05:13 AM
adamsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default How do I get full battery charge?

After a full month using my NXh I haven't seen a full loaded battery. I've tried all the combinations of roads, gears and driving modes, but it's nearly impossible to get all the blue bars lighting.

Is there any trick I should be aware of? What electric-mode autonomy am I losing by missing the last two blue bars?

I've noticed that it takes very little to reach 50% of the battery, from empty (two bars), which I guess that has something to do with the technology i do not know.

Any ideas from the hybrid experienced ones?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-17-14, 06:00 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

From my CT and RXh ownership, it's engineered to be "maxed" at around 80% and at the low end at 20% (gas engine will kick in if that low). It's done to ensure reliability/longevity of the battery/electric motor and prolong its life. Let's just say this design works as we've seen with Prius taxi cabs in N.America that have over 500 000 km and still original battery/electric motor.

You need to keep in mind what factors recharge battery capacity so you become a more efficient hybrid driver. Regenerative coasting and braking. In an ideal scenario, if you start at the top of a long road with a downward grade and let the car roll downhill, a portion of the (potential) energy (transformed to kinetic energy, then to chemical energy) is captured in charging the battery. You will notice this in the hybrid graphic display by the green charging arrows pointing towards the battery diagram. When braking, a similar process occurs.

Tips to maximize battery capacity (and hence subsequent EV mode usage = less fuel consumption):
1. Pulse and glide technique - basically means at a start, accelerate normally (gas + electric will kick in) until you hit your desired city speed. Immediately release the accelerator pedal and press it again quickly but softly to engage EV mode only. Cruise in EV mode at that desired speed.
2. Anticipate stopping and stop smoothly, longer. By seeing the stop sign or red light up ahead, start releasing the accelerator pedal to engage the regenerative braking. The longer the slowdown, the more energy is recaptured. Similarly, when hitting the brakes, brake smoothly and not abruptly to recover the most energy stored back into the battery.
3. Avoid highway driving. Battery power is very little used here since the majority of thrust is from the gas engine. This is where a diesel vehicle is better than a hybrid and a hybrid is only slightly better than a gas-powered equivalent vehicle.
4. Accelerate only to hit your desired speed/minimize acceleration. This is in line with the pulse in glide technique where you want to change your habit to try to use the gas engine only when necessary (to accelerate to a planned desired speed).

In summary, employ these techniques AND closely monitor the behaviour of the powertrain. You will want to maximize your recharging AND when not accelerating (in constant motion), stay in "EV" mode (green EV symbol on the dash) so you use the least possible amount of fuel.
The following users liked this post:
bhatmann (11-03-17)
Old 12-17-14, 11:55 AM
adamsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks corradoMR2 !!!

These tips are really helpful... But I don't like avoiding the highways specially when they are shortcuts. At the moment what I've learnt is that in cold weather the engine starts to warm up, and that if you consume the battery in a traffic jam (say you are in electric mode) then you will spend more time with the engine on while it recovers some charge.

Give me a couple of weeks and I will let you know if I learnt from your knowledge. But from what you've written, I will hardly see a full loaded battery.
Old 12-17-14, 06:15 PM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On my IS300h I get full bars reading on long drive down curvy mountain roads. I didn't think it was possible till I saw this. About 15 mins of down hill.
Old 12-17-14, 06:22 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Adamsmith - You're welcome. I understand highways are usually quicker but as far as a Toyota/Lexus hybrid is concerned, it's the worst driving condition to maximize fuel economy. I literally changed my commute route to maximize an efficient (low-traffic) city route to enjoy the benefits of the fuel savings. It was a bit of a change at first but challenging myself to beat my previous tank fuel consumption made the city drive fun. In short. I improved my fuel economy by 20% by moving to a 90% city / 10% highway average drive.

In short, to get an attainable ~6.5L-7L/100km (34-35 MPG), you'll need to maximize your city driving. In winter it will be more difficult due to a lower battery efficiency in colder temps and gas engine running more to maintain operating temperature. Expect it to be 15-20% (~1L/100 km) worse in the winter.

Final note. With my CT, over my ownership experience (2 years with summer + winter), I averaged an excellent 5L/100km (47-48 MPG) which is a better rating than the US EPA at 42-43 mpg!

webra: yes, it can indicate full bars but in reality it's not 100% as per design.
Old 01-09-15, 08:39 AM
Greenspoon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsmith
After a full month using my NXh I haven't seen a full loaded battery. I've tried all the combinations of roads, gears and driving modes, but it's nearly impossible to get all the blue bars lighting.

Is there any trick I should be aware of? What electric-mode autonomy am I losing by missing the last two blue bars?

I've noticed that it takes very little to reach 50% of the battery, from empty (two bars), which I guess that has something to do with the technology i do not know.

Any ideas from the hybrid experienced ones?

Thanks in advance!
Hello Adamsmith

A little less time available on batty mode ( ECO )

You will on occasion get all the bars. It depends on your regenerative brakes; how often your using them or how long.

There is a freeway in my area that has a 5 miles down hill. This is the only area that I can count on to get a full display.

Your driving habit will change if you pay attention to what is ahead of you. Hills , upgrades, flat, down grade and down hills. These can be friend or foe. . . . . . Speed is a killer for battery reserve and economy.
" Is there any trick I should be aware of? What electric-mode autonomy am I losing by missing the last two blue bars?" . . . . well, depending on your speed and mode. Eco is strictly battery mode and it will not take you too far. Other than sport mode, the you are using the battery until the computer senses that you are demanding more power and the engine starts and your at full power. I have learned to get up to speed, back off or take my foot off the accelerator then apply enough peddal pressure to maintain speed. ( I get good results around 41 - 45 mph ) HWY 58 - 62 MPH)

Like I said, you will only on occasion get those last two bars to light ( like once or twice a year for me because my area is hilly. What is gained down hill is used up hill.)

Try to find the longest down grade in your area and see if you can achieve your goal.
'
good luck
Old 01-15-15, 08:06 AM
HamIsh1028

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking vs. compression

Am I saving more money in fuel through regen breaking than I would be saving by using engine compression breaking and thereby reduce the need for new breaks?