Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Time for new brakes.. @ 77k

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-14, 08:24 AM
rsutoratos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Time for new brakes.. @ 77k

At the dealer, they finally say i need new brakes. I'm looking to order form sewell and diy.

Anyone here change their brakes yet ? just curious if there is anything in need to expect or watch out for.

Worked on honda/acura/toyota/bmw but not on lexus or hybrids
Old 08-30-14, 11:51 AM
drewcam888
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would doubt you need new brakes. The dealership told my mother in law that she needed them at 70k and she got a second opinion and she wasn't even close. I say check them yourself. I wouldn't expect them needing them til after 100k. I also think there minimum limit is a little high. I forgot the Lexus recommended mm of thickness but I would think you could go below that number.
Old 08-30-14, 12:11 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

I too am I little surprised to need brakes so quickly for a hybrid. I had my rear brakes serviced (just a lube to keep the parts moving) at 60K miles and was told they were about 40% worn. My hybrid Camry had 65,000 miles when I traded it and it's brakes were in great shape; I've heard of hybrid Camry and Prius going 100,000miles and well beyond before needing brakes, although the RX450h is heavier so I could see not quite as much lifetime.
Old 08-30-14, 02:30 PM
drewcam888
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brakes pads also start thicker for the heavier RX than those cars so I would say comparable mileages over 100k are expected
Old 08-31-14, 05:17 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Roranji
I read back on several of your threads. It appears you bought a used model with front end damage, is that correct? If so, understand that it would be very unusual for the RX450h to require pads that soon. There are many threads where they've gone 130k and more as the car has regenerative braking and for moderate to light braking conditions the electric motor/generators are doing it for you.

If your car was bought as you described and the brakes are definitely worn to the point of needing new pads, get a car-fax report on it and see what the miles were at the last service before whatever accident it was in. You just might find some answers there.
Originally Posted by rsutoratos
At the dealer, they finally say i need new brakes. I'm looking to order form sewell and diy.

Anyone here change their brakes yet ? just curious if there is anything in need to expect or watch out for.

Worked on honda/acura/toyota/bmw but not on lexus or hybrids
Old 09-01-14, 10:58 AM
rsutoratos
Driver

I bought a cpo 2 years ago, did not have front end damage. Though I put on 41k under 2 years. Beginning of year, I think they said I had 5mm left..

Actually I was at my usual tire shop getting a flat fix and they said I was low. When I went in for clicking sounds, they said I need them.

I order them, if not, it'll just sit in the garage for a year or so. Being that the wife drives this, I rather not take chances either. I will check once the brakes come in.

I order everything off amazon. Amazon sold by Concord Lexus, free shipping on everything. Slightly cheaper than sewell on parts and free shipping saved me over $80.

I went straight to concord lexus, no free shipping offered there
Old 09-01-14, 04:17 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

In the future, make sure you create a sewell account so that you get the clublexus discount.

I have 33K miles on my RX and my brake pads are still at 8-9mm.

The trick is when you sense that the regen brakes have switched to the pads on bumpy roads, you release the brake pedal for a split second and then depress again to reengage the regen.
Old 09-01-14, 08:13 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I re-read your post from awhile back. Because you were talking about front end damage you 'didn't have I mistook it when I scanned it. I apologize for that. Just seemed odd that you mentioned it and I took it the wrong way. Very sorry .
Originally Posted by rsutoratos
I bought a cpo 2 years ago, did not have front end damage. Though I put on 41k under 2 years. Beginning of year, I think they said I had 5mm left..

Actually I was at my usual tire shop getting a flat fix and they said I was low. When I went in for clicking sounds, they said I need them.

I order them, if not, it'll just sit in the garage for a year or so. Being that the wife drives this, I rather not take chances either. I will check once the brakes come in.

I order everything off amazon. Amazon sold by Concord Lexus, free shipping on everything. Slightly cheaper than sewell on parts and free shipping saved me over $80.

I went straight to concord lexus, no free shipping offered there
Old 09-08-14, 07:29 AM
rsutoratos
Driver

I'll have to check, I dont think I ever asked about front end damages here before.. who knows.. i'm getting old and stuff..

Any way, my parts are coming in this wed from CA, so probably next 2-3 weekends I'll have time to jack up the car to take a look.

If its close enough to be gone, I will be swapping it out. Only issue is winter is coming, I rather put it in by end of oct where its not freezing cold or have 3ft of snow to deal with. After Oct, next time I'll touch the car is like march of next year when it gets warmer.
Old 09-08-14, 07:31 AM
rsutoratos
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
In the future, make sure you create a sewell account so that you get the clublexus discount.

I have 33K miles on my RX and my brake pads are still at 8-9mm.

The trick is when you sense that the regen brakes have switched to the pads on bumpy roads, you release the brake pedal for a split second and then depress again to reengage the regen.
I order from there before but for some reason the discount did not apply or the shipping charges are just outrageous. I follow the link on how to create account and link it to here. Ill have to try again.
Old 09-13-14, 11:04 PM
rsutoratos
Driver

Only had time to check the front today.. but looks like it'll last for a bit longer. Some pics came out blurry so I upload the next best shot I got. Ill have to check the rear tomorrow

Front Passenger

Front Driver - Inside pad slightly thinner