Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Lexus Enform Problems in 2013 RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-14, 04:51 PM
PCW
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Lexus Enform Problems in 2013 RX450h

I have owned my Rx450h since May 2013. I'm extremely happy with the performance, ride and comfort of this Rx450h having upgraded from a 2006 Rx400h. But I am extremely unhappy with the Lexus Enform system. In my opinion it is not up to the standard I expected from Lexus, having owned Lexus' since 1992.

According to my dealer I have the latest Enform software. But it has problems that I cannot seem to get corrected. For example this is the problem that I find most annoying: if I am listening to music from my iPhone through the Bluetooth connection and switch to Pandora on the Enform system (Enform running on my iPhone) and decide to go back to my iPhone music the system cannot find my Bluetooth music, as if there's no Bluetooth connection. But if I press My Music on my iPhone and play a song it then finds the connection!

Are other Rx450h owners experiencing problems like this with Lexus Enform?
Old 06-30-14, 07:00 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I tend to agree. Mostly, I consider it a novelty, but maybe I would use it more if I didn't have to struggle with the connectivity every time I tried to use it. Or if the app suite was easier to use, or even worth the effort. I may use Pandora or Yelp occasionally, but I can get what I want from the apps on the phone itself FAR more quickly and easily than trying to make the connectivity and app suite work so I can use the car's screen. And there seems to be no reward for the effort. I just don't see the point, for as often as I actually use any of the apps.

Overall, I think the OP is right. In my opinion, Lexus seems to be way behind in their implementation of the entertainment electronics. I borrowed my sons 2013 F150. I found the Ford electronics FAR more useful, reliable, and informative, all while being easier to use. Simple stuff, like being able to see basic info for radio, phone, nav, and trip info/economy all at a glance on 1 screen. It's a TRUCK for heavens sake!!! Also, he's looking at an Infinity QX80 for his wife, in part because the electronics are much more complete than either a GX or an LX. Even though the Infiniti is less expensive, it has more useful tech goodies as standard equipment. It makes the Lexus alternatives a pretty hard sell.

IMO, Lexus needs to catch up.
Old 06-30-14, 08:39 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow

IMO, Lexus needs to catch up.
I'm not sure what Toyota's game plan is in this arena. I notice with the recent announcement of Android Auto pretty much every major European, American, and Japanese auto maker has some nod that they're "in", except Toyota/Lexus.

With Apple's Car Play Toyota said they were "in", but later said no they're not (we are issuing this statement, to correct the last statement, stating that we actually have no statement ).

Maybe it's some kind of master plan to use Entune/Enform to bore consumer's into submission, or differentiate themselves by providing un-innovative technology. I think car systems have reached the point computers did just before Windows, or phones did just before iPhone/Android. The innovation will sweep 95% of the market and leave others busy with several rounds of firing/hiring executives to keep the stock analysts off their backs for a while. Toyota must either be afraid of it, or they haven't figured out yet a suitable angle to make money on it, I guess...
Old 06-30-14, 10:43 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wait for QNX ( BlackBerry) to replace existing infotainment system.

At 0:25-0:33 Toyota is mentioned ( along with BMW, Porsche) as one the companies who will have this, so Lexus will have this too.

As for the annoyances, a software upgrade can resolve this, so it's just a waiting game.
Even the Germans, BMW And Audi have complex infotainment, so if you're a newbie ( first time owner) it can be very daunting.

I can say the same for the navigation, not just Lexus. How the system feels 3-5 years behind vs the portable Garmin/ Google maps on your smartphone.

Last edited by markrivers; 06-30-14 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-30-14, 01:32 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
I think car systems have reached the point computers did just before Windows, or phones did just before iPhone/Android. The innovation will sweep 95% of the market and leave others busy with several rounds of firing/hiring executives to keep the stock analysts off their backs for a while. Toyota must either be afraid of it, or they haven't figured out yet a suitable angle to make money on it, I guess...
I agree completely. Well said!
Old 07-02-14, 02:56 PM
PCW
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

It appears that I am not alone in my assessment of Enform.
Old 07-03-14, 11:10 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

PCW, make sure you have the latest bluetooth firmware. I had both bluetooth firmware and Nav software updated on mine. After the update, the phone connection started to behave better... it is just that I gave up by that time.