Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Just joined the Lexus club with a new to me 450h ultra premium w/ led :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 07:15 AM
Super Blue
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just joined the Lexus club with a new to me 450h ultra premium w/ led :)

Hi All,

I'm a to be fellow RX450h owner, will be picking it up soon, can't wait. I had been thinking about the RX350 for a some time now, and a few weeks ago it occurred to me to check out the 450h instead. Set my budget and stared looking at 2010s, only thing was I was looking to lease and not buy so I would have a limited selection to choose from.

First off there are very few 450h that pop up for sale compared to the 350, and there are even fewer Ultra Premiums w/ LED headlights. After seeing the difference I knew it would be ultra premium w/ led or bust. The Lexus Certified used were being offered at a good lease rate.

Went to go check one out at a local Lexus dealership this weekend, as it had been listed just that morning. By the time I got there, some lucky person was signing the papers for it and bought it. Came home and called all the dealerships within a 100km (60mile radius) and it seemed the Ultra Premiums were going out as soon as they came in all over, touring models were always available.

Managed to find a 2010 fully loaded last night, drove to the dealership, test drove it, and put in a offer, which was accepted.

It's a Silver with Black and Grey Interior.

Now the question is it worth while to purchase any warranty? I am doing a 4 year lease and the vehicle has 85k kms (53k miles) on it. It comes with a 2 year 40k kms drive train warranty w/ roadside assist.

Is it worth it to buy the comprehensive warranty, or don't bother?

I've never had a vehicle with this much technology in it before. From what I've read on the forum most of you guys and gals have had older gens of this vehicle.
Old 03-19-13, 07:29 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Congratulations on your new ride. You're going to enjoy it, and lots of us love those LED headlights as well!

On the Extended Warranty discussion, it comes down to it's just a form of insurance and it all depends on how risk adverse you are or not. I personally opt for less risk these days, even with the great reliability I've seen in multiple Lexus since 1995, and purchase the Lexus Extended Warranty. I don't personally suggest you buy a 3rd party version for a number of reasons, although there are a few people on the forum that seem happy with their decision. Rather than go into more detail or start this subject up on the value of Extended Warranties again, even with your CPO, look at THIS thread over in the 3rd Gen RX Forum which is close to the subject you're asking about and has been updated within the past few days.

As a hint, you'll find subjects exclusive to the hybrid are generally in this "sub forum", and subjects that pertain to both of the 3rd Gen RX are in the master forum -- like the extended warranty subject. Also, if you've not seen it yet, check out THIS FAQ which contains lots of great pointers to get you started using a bunch of the technology in your new ride.

Welcome to the Club. Enjoy. Do some searching here and then if you have questions, be sure to post. You'll find the forum to be a friendly bunch of folks, more than willing to help and offer their advice so you enjoy the max out of that new ride of yours.

Last edited by BertL; 03-19-13 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Added FAQ reference
Old 03-19-13, 02:01 PM
Super Blue
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the links Bert, lots of good info there.

I opted to go with the warranty from the dealer which extends the new car warranty and gives comprehensive coverage as well.
Given that I don't know the way the vehicle was previously, i figured better safe than sorry, plus I will have it for 4 years anyways, and there is a LOT of gadgets in this vehicle.
Old 03-19-13, 02:47 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Aman, welcome to the club. Sounds like you bought a great car. I have one of the 1st 2010h models produced, it was manufactured in May of 09, the month they started. The nice equipment on yours wasn't available on the early models, wish it was. But I still love the car and have 47K + on him now.

Yes, it's a 'he' gender and so technology advanced for his day, his name is 'Watson' . I didn't get an extended warranty and mine's coming up in a few months on four years. Thinking about it but probably won't. I've never done it yet but usually trade up around 80,000 miles. If I decide to keep this one (I might) then I'll consider it in the next couple of months but only if I know I'm gonna keep it over 100,000 miles.

I've not had any real issues and don't expect any but ......

Good luck and post some shots and the type of driving you'll be doing. You should really love it.
Old 03-20-13, 05:36 AM
Super Blue
Driver School Candidate

Jim, I totally know what you mean about the early production. I currently also have a 05 300c and my car missed out on some of the super easy and awesome upgrades which were included in cars produced 10 days after mine was manufactured. The 10 day later ones got upgraded software and better ignition components which made it plug and play to install factory remote start among other things.

Speaking of remote start, I will probably be getting that later on the Rx. I spoke with my sales person to add a remote start before I picked up the RX he advised against the factory one and said to go with a aftermarket. Definitely appreciated his honesty.

Here are a few pics from the @utotr@der ad

The vehicle was bought and serviced at the same dealership, and they have full records as it is Lexus Certified, and showed me the full service history. The sales person told me that my RX was lady driven. Normally I would run from such a vehicle and wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole because my experience has always been, "There's this red light that's been coming on my dash for the last 6 months and yesterday it started blinking really fast." (No offense to any ladies on the forum, just my experience). However given this vehicle, and the service records I was satisfied.

Last edited by Super Blue; 03-20-13 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-20-13, 06:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Welcome to the Club.
Old 03-24-13, 06:42 AM
Super Blue
Driver School Candidate

I've been driving the 450h for a few days now, and it is sooo smooth, still getting used to the CVT transmission and the eco mode. The wife loves it as well. It will be getting a few mods soon: remote start, side steps, vais ivic 6g, led interior lights, and last but not least hid fogs

The first tank is about 1/2 done and for some reason there has been more than usual hwy driving, currently getting about 26mpg. I'm sure that will improve as we adopt the proper driving habits for this vehicle.
Old 03-24-13, 09:23 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Congrats and sharp color combo. I almost went with grey interior but opted for black interior at the last minute. The contrast is definitely nice. And 26 MPG is pretty good in this cold weather. I'm sure you'll be able to do much better when it warms up, whenever that might be
Old 03-25-13, 05:53 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You and your wife will love the car . Go out and have fun in it.
Old 03-27-13, 06:09 AM
Super Blue
Driver School Candidate

The modding has already began, ordered hid fogs, looked into it and decided to go with 55 instead of 35, though if the 55 craps out I've got xenon depot 35watts from a before and I'll just throw those in there. Also ordered white 9005's for the drl, I know I won't net any extra real light, but I just hate the yellow drls, and last but not least the piece de resistance: VAIS IVIC 6G, both the wife and I have Samsung phones so this should be a great edition.

Side Steps will be in next wave of mods, we've got a little one the way, and I think the steps will be useful for the wife for sure. Remote Start has been postponed to Sept/Oct, spoke with my regular instalerl who does all my vehicles, and he said they receive the newest product closer to Sept as that's when the season of remote start install beings.

In my 300c I had disabled the factory drls, which is the regular 9005 and made my own drl in the fog lights with led halo ring, they looked so much better.