Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Is the 450h really that good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 07:52 AM
d6lc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 450h really that good?

So I have been watching this forum for a while, and whilst I accept that to some degree there is the law of small numbers (not a lot of 450h’s sold), but what surprises me is the lack of posts, and I say this in a positive way that there seems to be very little going wrong with these cars.
I currently have a Porsche 996, which if you read those forums would believe the engine is a grenade waiting to go off…..not true by the way.

And my DD is a Audi A6 4.2, another car with issues and full of forum discussions.

To be honest I don’t think that I will be changing the Audi for another 12 months, but when I do I really want a 450h, I like the Lexus quality build and ride (had a GX in the past), I like the performance and like the idea of improved mpg, I do have an inkling of being green, running a 4.2 V8 to transport my *** around at below 70mph is a waste!, but I still want some performance.

As I mentioned I have the A6 as my DD, I live in the Midwest so we get winter snow and lots of crisp cold battery killing weather, in this weather the A6 excels with the Quattro on DWS all seasons. I do ~18 mile daily commute, and some longer trips meaning I rack up around 10,000 miles a year. In the Audi for the past 12 months I have averaged 18mpg calculated, and it generally ranges between 14-22. It has 170k miles on and has the odd issue now it is 12 yrs old that I fix & service myself.

To be honest financially I should just keep it and run it into the ground as it doesn’t owe my anything and is reliable, warm and safe.

But as we all know gearheads don’t think like that and I keep looking at 450’s.

My budget will be around $20k (in a yrs time) so a slightly higher mile car 07 or 08 if I can get one. My questions concerns are:
1. Based on what I need is the 450 a good option or not?, I don’t expect to pay the house off with the MPG savings, I don’t do the miles or the right conditions for perfect hybrid economy, but I would like to hope I would be paying a little less in gas.
2. With a set of winter tires or hopefully all seasons, can they be used as a winter DD (I don’t want to be one of the RWD cars stuck in winter around here waiting for the plows)
3. How simple are they to maintain?
4. How much are they to maintain?, anything unusual?, I’m not too worried about spares prices, as I am used to the ‘Audi & Porsche parts tax’
5. Are they really as bulletproof as this forum’s lack of complaints suggest
6. I am going to be driving it daily in the winter -15 some days!!, does it have a heated steering wheel as standard? I have to say I love this feature of my old A6 and would seriously miss it
Old 02-21-13, 08:09 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

GS450h in a nutshell

Buy one that has been driven. Lexus mechanics will tell you that driving them is better than not driving them. Batteries that are replaced, are usually ones where people never drive them.

The V6 is a 2GRE-FSE. (Wiki it) its the same one as in IS350's and GS350's. The computer is running a different program though.

The transmission is made by Aisin. It holds the e-motors. One for driving and one for starting and stopping the ICE (Internal combustion engine). The trans is CVT, but not in a conical hi low gearing sense. Its uses Planetary gears to achieve high/low. (Ive posted about it here) It is NOT like a RX400/450. Is its not like a Prius or Camry hybrid. Even the new GS450h does not share the same components.

The brakes are normal GS350,460 brakes. People say they last longer because of the hybrid drive. Whatever... the car is heavier than the 350/460 and the regen slows the car... a very small percent is relied on. The brakes do the stopping.

Plug changes in the 80k miles range. Water pumps are known to go Hiroshima. Gaskets can be a problem.

The car uses VDIM. (Wiki that one too) VDIM is required for the Google driver less cars to work. This also means... you don't drive that car. You are telling a computer how fast you want to go. Winter is not a problem. I ran last year and this year with DWS AS tires. I'm in Chicago. Ive even posted a video of me blowing by a 300C awd and Porsche Cayenne AWD. (somewhere here)

You can not mod the drive line other than bolt-ons. Seriously... don't even bother. Its not worth the risk of damaging something else. If you get an after market warranty. Chances are they don't cover the hybrid components. Try for a CPO... this way you will be covered after the warranty for hybrid components. (Lexus covers people after the warranty ends, but its not widely disclosed.)

You will have no trunk. It will **** you off eventually. The steering wheel is not heated at least my 07 wasn't. Buy gloves.
If you get a check hybrid system error... find another way to get to work. It will go into limp mode and your done. (Sometimes they have brain farts and you can reset the computer by pulling the 12v in the trunk for 30min.)

Last edited by neurocity; 02-22-13 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-21-13, 08:49 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
GS450h in a nutshell

Buy one that has been driven. Lexus mechanics will tell you that driving them is better than not driving them. Batteries that are replaced, are usually ones where people never drive them.

The V6 is a 2GRE-FSE. (Wiki it) its the same one as in IS350's and GS350's. The computer is running a different program though.

The transmission is made by Aisin. It holds the e-motors. One for driving and one for starting and stopping the ICE (Internal combustion engine). The trans is CVT, but not in a conical hi low gearing sense. Its uses Planetary gears to achieve high/low. (Ive posted about it here) It is NOT like a RX400/450. Is its not like a Prius or Camry hybrid. Even the new GS450h does not share the same components.

The brakes are normal GS350,460 brakes. People say they last longer because of the hybrid drive. Whatever... the car is heavier than the 350/460 and the regen slows the car... a very small percent is relied on. The brakes do the stopping.

Plug changes in the 80k miles range. Water pumps are known to go Hiroshima. Gaskets can be a problem.

The car uses VDIM. (Wiki that one too) VDIM is required for the Google driver less cars to work. This also means... you don't drive that car. You are telling a computer how fast you want to go. Winter is not a problem. I ran last year in this year with DWS AS tires. I'm in Chicago. Ive even posted a video of me blowing by a 300C awd and Porsche Cayenne AWD. (somewhere here)

You can not mode the drive line other than bolt-ons. Seriously... don't even bother. Its not worth the risk of damaging something else. If you get an after market warranty. Chances are they don't cover the hybrid components. Try for a CPO... this way you will be covered after the warranty for hybrid components. (Lexus covers people after the warranty ends, but its not widely disclosed.)

You will have no trunk. It will **** you off eventually. The steering wheel is not heated at least my 07 wasn't. Buy gloves.
If you get a check hybrid system error... find another way to get to work. It will go into limp mode and your done. (Sometimes they have brain farts and you can reset the computer by pulling the 12v in the trunk for 30min.)
This is the greatest answer, to add this car is a fun to drive, and gas mileage I have seen 38.7MPG on the highway and thats driving fast, city I have gotten around 26-27 MPG. The car is not slow by any means, the car has the power when you needed it instantly. The car is heavier but thats a benefit in snow I have driven in snow and can say it really doesn't have any problems neurocity wrote a thread on this. I would shoot for the 2008 and up 450h's as those have a slightly bigger trunk. When I had my car the only problem I had was that the waterpump failed early, but it was replaced under my CPO warranty. the hybrid warranty is 8 years from the in service date so what ever year you choose just remember that. It's a beast and I think it's a great car.
Old 02-22-13, 03:45 AM
troymac
Driver School Candidate

Ive had mine for a little over a week. Its 07 with 87000. Absolutley immaculate. It's a pleasure to drive. I'm certainly impressed. Hopefully will have it for many years to come.
Old 02-23-13, 09:42 AM
morganc
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine's unfortunately sat in the dealer for a large portion of its life (2007). It's a fun car with cool gadgetry, but for the most part, it's a hands-off car. I haven't let shops touch any of my previous cars, but I've had no choice but to take it in a lot with this one.
Old 02-25-13, 09:52 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i truly enjoy driving my 450h, and it's given me zero problems (besides the occasional squeaky dash rattle here and there). neurocity has covered all the important points.
Old 04-16-13, 10:49 AM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

hmm how do i know if waterpump gonna go bad ??
Old 04-17-13, 08:35 PM
morganc
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
hmm how do i know if waterpump gonna go bad ??
You will start to notice your coolant level dropping and you may also notice white smoke out of the exhaust (a little is normal on start-up; this is just condensation).

These pumps are known to fail and it pays to have them replaced at least every 100,000kms with OEM parts.
Old 05-24-13, 09:25 PM
bfor3
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone want to add more... If not then this really is the car to own! I guess no need for a tranny cooler like with my current acura tl? We really have to worry about those trannys.
Old 06-18-13, 07:36 PM
rhwimmers
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got an 07 neimen marcus edition a month or two ago. Absolutely love it. Selling my 03gs300 with 180k which is what I am comparing this one to.
Gets better MPG on the highway, which is unlike most hybrids, was getting 29 yesterday on a long trip - havent got anything less than 26 (25% better than my gs300)
The ride is fantastic - it is extremely fast and really easy to drive fast - the only way to know your going 95 is how fast you are passing people - super quiet and comfortable, even at high speeds. It comes with run-flat tires, and pretty sure that is what is on mine currently, they ride a little rough so city driving isnt quite as good with these tires, but I will be swapping them out once I sell my other car, hope to get a smoother ride and feel less bumps with different tires.
Cooled seats are awesome (as cool as when I first got heated seats)
audio system is excellent
screen is huge and backup camera is high quality
Parking assistant thing is kinda cool as well (tells you if you are too close to an object etc
Bluetooth integration is great for phone calls - cant stream audio though, and no 3.5mm jack which kinda stinks, I guess they figure with a 6disk cd player and cassette tape you should have plenty to listen to!
I'd say go for it, without a doubt!
Old 06-20-13, 11:13 AM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had mine for a couple of years now (in Canada). It's one of the best cars ever made. The only thing I will replace it with is an LS600h.
Old 06-24-13, 06:11 AM
sellomap
Driver School Candidate

It is simply the best! They ahave covered almost everything. I would have loved to have a USB port though.
Old 06-24-13, 06:17 AM
LexFather

Still have mine and it honestly doesn't look old inside and out, just missing some new features. A great used buy IMO. Possibly selling soon though.

Old 06-24-13, 06:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw one at the dealer while my GS was being serviced.
Loved the car but hated the interior bamboo wood trim which was very dull with no sheen and odd colored and just didn't look good to me.
Old 06-24-13, 06:48 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Saw one at the dealer while my GS was being serviced.
Loved the car but hated the interior bamboo wood trim which was very dull with no sheen and odd colored and just didn't look good to me.
You were looking at the 2013? This is about the 07-11 model I also do not want the bamboo forced on me.

Quick Reply: Is the 450h really that good?