Winter in the GS450h - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Winter in the GS450h

Old 10-15-18, 08:16 PM
vap3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexFather View Post
Do you have snow tires? The car has 245/45/18 stock, not ideal for snow.
so this size isn't recommended for winter tires for the gs450h? aren't the rear a bit wider than the front or is it ok for all four sizes to be the same?
Old 01-24-19, 08:34 AM
Funkey
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
I've been driven a couple of months now, in the winter conditions, i mean really bad conditions. Lots of snow and ice. Few days ago, temperature was -28C (-18,4F) and there were no problems at all. I'm using preheating system (electric), which helps in the cold. I have winter tires for snow and ice, without spikes (Nexen WinGuard Sport 245/40R18) and they are actually working ok. Of course there's a lot of wheelspin, but if you gentle with the throttle there will be no problem. So, you can drive gs450h in winter without bigger problems.

Till the end, one picture of what happens when someone ignores the stop sign. Nothing happened to me and the car is now in the repair shop.

The Following User Says Thank You to Funkey For This Useful Post:
Farqui (01-25-19)
Old 01-26-19, 06:43 PM
Lwerewolf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Funkey View Post
Ouch. .. Just the rear right I hope?

At any rate, with regards to not being able to disable the traction/stability control:

(EDIT: Just in case somebody decides to get reckless with this - the transmission and the inverter when new are around $10k each. READ AND UNDERSTAND THE RISKS. FAILURE MODES ARE ONLY GUESSED, BUT PROBABLY VERY REAL. ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY, DON'T OVERDO IT, etc etc... you know the drill)

Maintenance mode procedure, same as other toyota hybrids (or most anyways, google for specifics):
1) Make sure car is off and in park
1) Put car in accessory mode (with the car completely off, double press POWER button without holding the brakes)
2) Fully press and release throttle
3)Switch to neutral (you need to hold the "shift lock" button, make sure the handbrake is on)
4) Fully press and release throttle
5)Switch to park (you need to hold the "shift lock" button again, make sure the car is not moving... i.e. handbrake should've been engaged the whole time)
6) Fully press and release throttle\

Dashboard LCD screen should now say "maintenance mode". Start by holding brakes and hitting "power".
Effects:
1) Brakes work differently somehow, haven't bothered to explore them fully but bringing the car to a full stop is a bit rough (like the brakes locking up instantly at very low speeds or something... dunno)
2) Engine is constantly on (useful for doing oil flushes, other things as well... it's maintenance mode for a reason )
3) Traction and stability control are OFF.

Now, with regards to possible damage to the transmission - from what I've read, Back-EMF is the biggest worry, and the reason why it's usually hard to impossible to disable stability systems on production electric vehicles. Basically electric motors changing speed very fast generating high voltage and causing arcing in the inverter assembly. I haven't managed to damage anything yet, but I'm keeping my peripheral vision on the speedo to make sure that it doesn't exceed the actual speed of the car by much. I don't think I've done more than ~80kph while sliding (by accident), and I tend to keep it around 40 or so. I also only ever do this when there's snow (like now) and in parking lot-style areas (well, abandoned small stone quarry near my village that's been asphalted... the only reasons to be there are 1) powerslides and 2) nice view of the city :P ). I don't think I'll be trying this on a travelled open road, or on a track - 1st is reckless, 2nd brings the risk of spinning out... which can vary those electric motor RPMs veeery fast. Best times on the track aren't achieved out of control anyways

Another worry - the dual-stage automatic transmission linking MG1 to the wheels can't be controlled, and I don't think it'll like it if it shifts during shenanigans. Upshift points are somewhere between 90 and 120kph from my observations (depending on acceleration - ~120-ish at full throttle), downshift is at ~55kph.

Lastly, no LSD. There's a torsen-2 mod thread on the russian lexus club forum, cusco's selling a gs450h clutch lsd as well... I haven't done enough research on those options yet.

Anyways, it's possible to have fun with it in the snow, just keep in mind that you're entering somewhat uncharted territory. People do autocross priuses (or prii.. whatever) in maintenance mode, haven't read of a single back-EMF related failure (or any failure really)... but it's a FWD car on a race event where speeds are kept low anyways.

A few clips (not me):

Last edited by Lwerewolf; 01-26-19 at 07:31 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter in the GS450h

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: