Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Help! Im stuck at 28mpg

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 01:04 PM
TampaOwner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Im stuck at 28mpg

ive owned our 2012 RX450h since November and i drive it around the suburbs mostly. we live in florida and there are no hills. we basicially drive our car to the grocery store, kid events, and around town. some highway, but mostly suburban roads.

I have the car in Economy mode 24/7

i always use the EV all electric mode for the last 2 miles in my neighborhood which usually raises the mpg average another 1 to 1.5 higher...

ive refueled four times now and my average after refueling is always at 28mpg. thats combned highway and city. believe it or not, i get better gas mileage at higher speeds because i can coast a lot more than suburban roads. i do not accelerate hard out of stop lights and traffic, and i usually start off slow after a complete stop which has to anger the driver behind me.

SO WHY am i stuck at 28mpg average. im doing everything right. my tire psi is between 30-33 so i could probably increase it. What else can i do to get closer to the average on the window sticker??????.
Old 02-15-12, 01:06 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'll trade you my hilly city commute with lower gas mileage

The break-in period is 5K. You have a way to go yet.
Old 02-15-12, 01:21 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TampaOwner
ive owned our 2012 RX450h since November and i drive it around the suburbs mostly. we live in florida and there are no hills. we basicially drive our car to the grocery store, kid events, and around town. some highway, but mostly suburban roads.

I have the car in Economy mode 24/7

i always use the EV all electric mode for the last 2 miles in my neighborhood which usually raises the mpg average another 1 to 1.5 higher...

ive refueled four times now and my average after refueling is always at 28mpg. thats combned highway and city. believe it or not, i get better gas mileage at higher speeds because i can coast a lot more than suburban roads. i do not accelerate hard out of stop lights and traffic, and i usually start off slow after a complete stop which has to anger the driver behind me.

SO WHY am i stuck at 28mpg average. im doing everything right. my tire psi is between 30-33 so i could probably increase it. What else can i do to get closer to the average on the window sticker??????.
Since 32 min is recommended, increase it and tape a raw egg to the throttle. Don't break it . Drive further than 5 miles each trip. Your mileage should go up
Old 02-15-12, 02:21 PM
TampaOwner
Driver

ive heard that the car has to be "broken in" before it gets good gas mileage, but im not sure why?
Old 02-15-12, 04:05 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are getting 28 MPG with relatively short trips to the grocery store and around town, then you are getting good mileage for an AWD 450h. A FWD model, like mine, can get about 2 MPG more ... around 30 MPG overall. I'm retired and will often just take my RX for a drive, typically late at night. Even late at night, under ideal conditions and driving to optimize mileage I typically can only squeeze 33 to 34 MPG out of the car (possibly 36 if I am lucky). Throw in traffic during the day and having to move with traffic and 30 MPG starts looking good. On a random day I would not commit to more than 30 MPG. I have a good friend that also has a RX 450h that is identical to mine, except his is AWD. A few months ago he told me that his mileage for the first 10,000 miles was 27.9 MPG.

What are your expectations?

Last edited by UCSB; 02-15-12 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-15-12, 04:40 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You didn't mention how many miles? Since it's a 2012, I'm going to assume the RX isn't broken in yet. THe mileage should improve.
Old 02-15-12, 05:45 PM
TampaOwner
Driver

i have about 1,000 miles on it. i added air to the tires so well see... id love to average 30. i have a fwd
Old 02-15-12, 06:04 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to drive further at a moderate speed to get better milage. The engine needs to warm up and then it becomes most efficient. If you are only going a few miles the car never gets a chance to warm up and hit the sweet spot. I notice this with mine when I just run out to get groceries the 'since last fill" number goes up. However if I drive it clear across town it goes down.

I am averaging around 9.6l/ 100km and have about 4000 km's. It is winter here so numbers will improve when summer comes around.
Old 02-15-12, 06:14 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TampaOwner
i have about 1,000 miles on it. i added air to the tires so well see... id love to average 30. i have a fwd
FWIW, I run my tires at 32. If you have a FWD, you will be able to hit 30 ... especially on flat terrain. An easy way to hit better numbers is to drive with your shoes off. This will give you a more accurate feel for what you are doing. Also, if you are accelerating go a little past the speed you are shooting for and then ease off the throttle and just maintain the speed. Coast into lights and other situations that will require you to stop. If you are in a situation that is going to require throttle, I think it is better to get up to speed in a reasonable period of time instead of dragging along under throttle for a longer period of time.
Old 02-15-12, 06:20 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by InRBigness
You need to drive further at a moderate speed to get better milage. The engine needs to warm up and then it becomes most efficient. If you are only going a few miles the car never gets a chance to warm up and hit the sweet spot. I notice this with mine when I just run out to get groceries the 'since last fill" number goes up. However if I drive it clear across town it goes down.

I am averaging around 9.6l/ 100km and have about 4000 km's. It is winter here so numbers will improve when summer comes around.
That is 24.5 MPG ... it is good given your climate. Don't you mean quick trips really lower your average while longer trips give you the chance to hit higher numbers. I would agree trip length is really critical. Short distances will just kill your average MPG. Even just moving the car in and out of your garage to wash it can bring your since last fillup number down.

Last edited by UCSB; 02-15-12 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-15-12, 07:27 PM
TampaOwner
Driver

i noticed my mpg goes down when i idle at lights and when i drop my wife off to run in and out of store
Old 02-15-12, 08:06 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry I was using the liters/100 km, The lower the number the better. When I drive around the city it have acutally hit 7.2 liters per 100k

Last edited by InRBigness; 02-15-12 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-16-12, 06:54 AM
Traveler1
Driver School Candidate

Hmm, it looks like what I did last year, using battery well to improve efficiency which you do your last 2 miles. I believe that may cause the tendency TO CHARGE WELL when you start up on the next day. I found Toyota's patent describing the tendency of battery recharging for the battery-consumers, and the tendency of using electric power for the gas-consumers. HV system has memory keeping the SOC(state of charge - 40% to 80%) of starting and ending of your last drive, for your next 1 or 2 driving(s). If the delta is minus, then, HV ECU evaluate the driver as battery consumer, so that ECU makes gas engine run higher RPM, until the SOC reaches the target stable volume.

Would you try to keep higher SOC when you take the car in the garage? To check the SOC, select energy monitor on the navigation monitor, or select energy monitor on the multi-information display.
Old 02-16-12, 03:31 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by InRBigness
sorry I was using the liters/100 km, The lower the number the better. When I drive around the city it have acutally hit 7.2 liters per 100k
Excellent score! I often reach
Old 02-16-12, 03:35 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
If you are getting 28 MPG with relatively short trips to the grocery store and around town, then you are getting good mileage for an AWD 450h. A FWD model, like mine, can get about 2 MPG more ... around 30 MPG overall. I'm retired and will often just take my RX for a drive, typically late at night. Even late at night, under ideal conditions and driving to optimize mileage I typically can only squeeze 33 to 34 MPG out of the car (possibly 36 if I am lucky). Throw in traffic during the day and having to move with traffic and 30 MPG starts looking good. On a random day I would not commit to more than 30 MPG. I have a good friend that also has a RX 450h that is identical to mine, except his is AWD. A few months ago he told me that his mileage for the first 10,000 miles was 27.9 MPG.

What are your expectations?
Hey excellent score too!

Quick Reply: Help! Im stuck at 28mpg