Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Just purchased a new RX 450h (red)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 06:14 AM
Rockridge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased a new RX 450h (red)

This was an interesting purchasing experience. My wife had been driving a 2005.5 Volvo XC90 since new, and was getting interested in moving to a new vehicle. She first had looked at the Q5, then did some reading on the RX 405h. Once she looked at the online brochure, she had to go see the vehicle.

We test drove a black model, with white interior, and while she liked the car, she was not thrilled with the color combo. She liked the red, but the dealer we were at, said the red were all sold out (in New England) and we would need to make due with another color, or wait until the 2012 models arrive.

We left that dealership pretty unhappy, and I started an email conversation with a rep at another dealership. When she told me she had a Red 2011 arriving from the DC in two days, we were pretty syched.

We ended up waiting 1 week for the car to be delivered from the DC, but purchased it as soon as it rolled off the truck. My wife is totally in love with the car. She actually spent time reading the owners manual!

I had a couple of observations about the available options, and what is truly available.
1) The first option I would have liked on the car was the HUD. But it seems the dealerships said that no one wanted the feature, so they stopped ordering cars with it. Is this true? It seems like a cool feature, although expensive.
2) Wide side view or side Camera for viewing out of the passenger side. I had seen many positive a comment about this feature when the car was first introduced in 2010.
Old 09-27-11, 11:48 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Congrats on the purchase.

Lexus does things very differently than other car makers. When I was buying my Mercedes, they were able to locate one that was about to be built at the plant and change the configuration to anything I wanted.

Lexus on the other hand ships what vehicles they "think" that region will like and people dont usually have a choice. They do do a good job on their website with the built it feature as they ask for your zip code and will actually show you what is being sent to your region.

If you wanted those things (like I did), you would have had to special order the vehicle and wait 3 months to get it. Its a much longer process, but I wasnt going to settle on a car that wasn't what I really wanted
Old 09-27-11, 05:32 PM
Rockridge
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The X Men
Rockridge congrats, which dealer did you end up buying it from. We almost bought a red one as well, but we couldnt find a red with black interior.
Lexus is a strange company when it comes to option packages. There is only one configuration for all the RX450h delievery to the NE region.
http://www.lexus.com/configurator/#/...d=520&group=RX
I purchased the car from Herb Chambers Lexus in Sharon MA
Old 09-27-11, 06:02 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to da 450h club, Rockridge!

Like RXSF said, special order is unfortunately the only way to go if you want the RX equipped exactly as you want it. For me it was a four month wait. Most of the ones around here come fairly loaded, at least they were when I was looking back in '09. I believe there were three packages including one that had the rear entertainment system. But it's hard to please everyone so they come up with the options they believe customers will want most.

Enjoy the RX
Old 09-28-11, 04:49 PM
Rockridge
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, they only had one new one on the lot. Same as Northboro. Definitely running lean. Hard to get a good deal when They only have 1 on the lot.
Old 10-02-11, 11:41 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

congrats on your new RX450h.
Old 10-02-11, 02:18 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on your new RX450h. I've had mine for less than a year and I'm loving it. I really enjoy the power and the ability to get amazing fuel efficiency. This summer I have averaged 8.5L/km for city driving. That compares with the 13.5L/km I used to get with my IS350.
Old 10-04-11, 09:42 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Like RXSF said, special order is unfortunately the ONLY way to go if you want the RX equipped exactly as you want it. If you want to play with all the toys you have to pay and special order it. However, You then have a car that was made just for you.
Old 10-04-11, 08:44 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Canada it is a bit different. You can buy the base model, or the touring model or the Ultra Premium 1 or Ultra Premium 2 package. I just ordered, as there are none built yet, a 2012 450h with Ultra Premium 2. It comes with everything. HUD, Rear Entertainment, Radar Cruise, Park assist, Pre collision system LED headlights and every other option you can think to order. It even comes with the roof rack bars. Only extra I got them to throw in was the 2" factory hitch and wiring.

I studied the net and did a ton of reading and went to the American sites and it seems that they sell the RX differently in the states. You have to ala-carte all the options.

Not sure if the Canadian way is better, but its much easier and it does provide for more stock to be around eventually with your option choices. This however is not the case with the 450H as there are none made yet in the country. Mine has a production date of Nov. or so so I should get it around January by the time they ship it across the pond. That being said there are no deals to be had as there is no stock anywhere. I checked. I saw some used 2011's that are still in the high 60's so 70K for brand spanking new wasnt so bad.
Old 10-07-11, 04:43 AM
currybob
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rockridge
Welcome aboard and enjoy you new car. Come back and let us know how you like it ect.

Bob
Old 10-07-11, 04:23 PM
purson
Driver School Candidate

Default 450h options

We bought our 2010 450h in July. It has the HUD and I absolutely love it. I had trouble finding the HUD option and am pleased that I decided to pursue it. The HUD also provides cues when in navigation mode, showing the upcoming turns plus audio information with volume level. Two thumbs up! All cars will come this way in the future. One small downside - I have not been able to find a dash cover to fit around the HUD opening.

I like the rear camera. We test drove one with the side camera and that was nice but not essential. The rear camera is great for parking without bumping things. I use a cargo carrier on the rear hitch. The rear camera is great for taking a quick look to see if all the straps are still in place while driving. Just wait for a little downhill to maintain your speed and shift into reverse to activate the camera. It won't hurt anything as the computer knows better than to go into reverse. The Lexus dealer gave me that tip.

The Lexus system of options is confusing here in the USA and I found some options available outside of the packages shown on the web site. There was also no clear way to determine the installed options without the window sticker. I've found much about the Lexus/Toyota philosophy regarding controls and placements is just plain wrong. There are too many nags and some really annoying 'liability avoidance' features such as not being able to enter an address into navigation while moving or search for the nearest restroom, not even by a passenger. I bought a terrific bypass unit from Prestigious Society to fix that but it still has a couple of harassing functions. I will be in the market for better, more comprehensive bypass systems in the future.

The biggest issue I've run across is not being able to lock the car while it is running. I need to leave the AC on for the dog while I run to a restroom on long trips but I always find the car unlocked on my return. At least I find it! Maybe I'll try the valet key next time.
Old 10-19-11, 12:25 PM
Rockridge
Driver School Candidate

Things that we are finding that we like about the car.
1) Quiet. Amazingly quiet.
2) Good Gas mileage. We are averaging 27.8 as of this week.
3) Seats and overall environment is plush and comfortable
4) Like the Sirius/XM weather feature with Radar, not sure we will ever use the radio option
5) Dynamic lighting. Like the way headlights bend around corners.
Old 10-19-11, 11:43 PM
x10civ
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote from above
" Just wait for a little downhill to maintain your speed and shift into reverse to activate the camera. It won't hurt anything as the computer knows better than to go into reverse. The Lexus dealer gave me that tip."

Has anyone else tried this ? is it really ok ?
Old 10-20-11, 03:21 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You go 1st and let us know .

To me, that just goes against conventional wisdom . Why would you chance it when you have three mirrors ???
Originally Posted by x10civ
Quote from above
" Just wait for a little downhill to maintain your speed and shift into reverse to activate the camera. It won't hurt anything as the computer knows better than to go into reverse. The Lexus dealer gave me that tip."

Has anyone else tried this ? is it really ok ?
Old 10-20-11, 11:31 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

No I do not thing I would care to put MY car in reverse as I am going forward down a hill. Which dealer was this I think it could be a lot of fun doing it to HIS car

Quick Reply: Just purchased a new RX 450h (red)