Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Navigation, phone book, MP3 override

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-11, 07:23 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thomas1
Well finished the install, put the vais2up down by the right panel like others did...nice location and easy access. Had problem programming, but it finally worked...instructions are weird..says to put left switch in up position, wait for beeps,then put both switches up...listen for confirmation beep, and than it says to put both switches up (ok they already were)...Anyway it is late didnt have time to really play...I see i need to organize my playlist better..but at least it works..not sure yet about the DVD in motion...try tomorrow.. I installed the Beatsonic DVD bypass...
Nice, post back your results after having played around with the VAIS.
Old 03-27-11, 08:33 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Everything is as expected, easy install, just need to learn more about IPOD and apple itunes...
Never had apple product before...My playlist is set up terribly...But the sound is fantastic and yes I can play movies while rolling...yea.
Old 03-27-11, 08:48 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Very cool..
some odd reason, CD2 (iPod/iPhone) interface stopped working yesterday for me. I had to access the unit and initialize the unit. All is well now. Glad I chose to install it in a place where the unit can be accessed very easily.
Old 03-28-11, 01:39 PM
mctufts
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iTunes isn't as intuitive as you would think for those who haven't used it before! If you have questions, just ask. Glad it's working though and that the Beat Sonic install went well...nice feature to have DVD playback on the Nav.

Rx400h1976, just curious, are you using an IPhone or IPod with your Vais?
Old 03-28-11, 06:33 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Originally Posted by mctufts
iTunes isn't as intuitive as you would think for those who haven't used it before! If you have questions, just ask. Glad it's working though and that the Beat Sonic install went well...nice feature to have DVD playback on the Nav.

Rx400h1976, just curious, are you using an IPhone or IPod with your Vais?
I am using both.
Old 03-29-11, 05:56 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Is there a CL vendor for the VAIS product? Can anyone recommend?
Old 03-29-11, 09:24 PM
mctufts
Rookie

In the past, vendors have come on the forum to sponsor group buys and such. Try searching for vais group buy to get their forum name although I'm not certain they'd respond and even if they did, unless they were starting a group buy, they'd probably just give you the website price.

Alternatively, you can call/email Vais to get a list of vendors in your area. When I did so, one vendor I called was able to discount the product if I could pick it up and pay in cash.

Finally, EBay is a good option to find deals. Got a SL2Vi for 152!
Old 04-01-11, 07:17 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Well I may have to pull everything apart again, wife doesnt like that you cant input on the Nav while rolling...I still have the other harness...Where did you all mount that switch. (the push button one)? Went for a ride and she couldnt put in the addresses of the quilt stores...go figure.
Old 04-02-11, 09:21 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Well I may have to pull everything apart again, wife doesnt like that you cant input on the Nav while rolling...I still have the other harness...Where did you all mount that switch. (the push button one)? Went for a ride and she couldnt put in the addresses of the quilt stores...go figure.
I have installed it in 2 RXs so far - one in the glove box and the other on the small panel that covers the VAIS unit by the passenger's foot well. Both work well.
Old 04-03-11, 07:50 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rx400h1976
I have installed it in 2 RXs so far - one in the glove box and the other on the small panel that covers the VAIS unit by the passenger's foot well. Both work well.
I investigated the hookup on that kit, I went to the trunk area and found the nav unit...Did you run the wiring along the left side of the car under the sill plates to get it to the dash?
Old 04-06-11, 10:52 AM
mctufts
Rookie

Thomas1, did you get the Navigation module up and running? If so, did you funnel the wires underneath the left or the right side kick panel to place the switch in the front. I will be installing a Navtool in the next few days, which also gies in the back and has a switch that should go up front.

Once installed, will be able to hook up either a media player or game console to display on the Nav screen so looking forward to installing it!
Old 04-06-11, 11:00 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

didnt do it yet, havent decided where I am going to put switch, but the right side goes near the car computer, so I may go on the left side...
Old 04-08-11, 09:24 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

I investigated the hookup on that kit, I went to the trunk area and found the nav unit...Did you run the wiring along the left side of the car under the sill plates to get it to the dash?
I first tried running the wire along the left side of the car, then realized that i will have to run around existing fuses/steering/AFS switch etc. Plus, this would be easily visible/accessible during any service at Lexus. Decided to run it along the right (passenger) side. Works great and happy with the location.
Old 04-10-11, 10:38 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

thanks, I will run along right side...
Old 05-08-11, 08:09 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Ok ran the nav bypass yesterday, took less than 45 minutes..ran wires along the right side of car under the threshold panels...mounted switch next to the bypass for running DVD movies... Easy install...works fantastic...Wifey is happy she can enter quilt shops while rolling....(me driving)

Quick Reply: Navigation, phone book, MP3 override