Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Seat Belt Extension for Lexus RX 450h?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 07:31 PM
oscqc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Belt Extension for Lexus RX 450h?

I had a recent operation in which they replaced my entire right shoulder joint - ball and socket. I am undergoing a lot of painful physiotherapy and I am getting more movement and hope to get it to 100% by the summer. I have a brand new RX450h and am having a lot of trouble doing up the driver's seatbelt. I either have to remove my overcoat and suit jacket or else open the door and lean way out so I can reach back to fasten the seatbelt latch. (Its too cold here in Canada for that!!) Apparently Lexus sells an extension (something like what is used on airplanes for heavy passengers) but you have to need 7 inches of extension before they will sell it to you, and I only need 3-4 inches. Does anyone have any experience or ideas? Perhaps I should either put on 100 pounds or simply lie to Lexus.
Old 01-30-10, 07:02 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

According to the owner's manual, Lexus will provide an extender free of charge. I would ask the dealer to give you one. They shouldn't ask why but if they do, make something up. Frankly it's none of their business.

Good luck with your recovery and therapy.
Old 02-13-10, 02:21 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oscqc
I had a recent operation in which they replaced my entire right shoulder joint - ball and socket. I am undergoing a lot of painful physiotherapy and I am getting more movement and hope to get it to 100% by the summer. I have a brand new RX450h and am having a lot of trouble doing up the driver's seatbelt. I either have to remove my overcoat and suit jacket or else open the door and lean way out so I can reach back to fasten the seatbelt latch. (Its too cold here in Canada for that!!) Apparently Lexus sells an extension (something like what is used on airplanes for heavy passengers) but you have to need 7 inches of extension before they will sell it to you, and I only need 3-4 inches. Does anyone have any experience or ideas? Perhaps I should either put on 100 pounds or simply lie to Lexus.
Maybe this will help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0117-09.pdf (556.5 KB, 981 views)
Old 02-16-10, 08:52 PM
oscqc
Rookie

Default Seatbelt Extender

Thanks for the comments. I have now received it and it helps my problem considerably. The service manager who measured me told me that it would be delivered within 48 hours. After 5 days, I called him to see where it was. He then admitted that it had not been ordered because he had forgotten to have me sign the form and was too embarrased to tell me. I raised hell with the dealership. I was not angry about the mistake in not having me sign the form, since anyone can make a mistake, but in his not notifying me so I could come in and sign the form so he could order it. His lack of candor caused me about another week of pain whenever I fastened the seat belt due to my shoulder problem. As a matter of interest, the RX 450h is not mentioned in the Technical Service Bulletin as being a model for which the part is available, which struck me as odd.

Last edited by oscqc; 02-16-10 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-17-10, 03:44 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

oscqc, that's great you finally got the extender and it's helping. As for the service manager, well, that's why I only deal with one or two people at my dealer. Very unprofessional. The extender was mentioned in the 450h owner's manual, not sure why it wasn't in the TSB. Anyway, you're all set. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
Old 02-21-10, 05:49 PM
Redthumb
Driver School Candidate

The kind of bureaucracy, shown in the pdf, that is required to obtain a simple seat belt extender could just put me off of any Lexus purchase permanently.
Old 04-25-17, 11:55 AM
whatyoon
Driver School Candidate

Recently I had new born son and needed to install convertible seat (Britax Clicktight) for my car. But seat belt was too short. I called local Lexus dealer (New port California) and contact part/service manager. They asked me the length and ordered for me free of charge. Also, it approximately arrive in 5 business day to pick it up. Thanks to @kitlz giving awesome information. I owe you beer. ;D.
Old 04-25-17, 08:07 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I think what the pdf shows instead is the American legal system running on full afterburner. Lexus and its dealers don't want to be hit with a $5,000,000 judgement when some jury somewhere decides that it was the inappropriate use of the extender that contributed to the injury.