Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Temporary Disable Of DRL's

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-08, 05:01 PM
performanc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temporary Disable Of DRL's

The wifey now wants to go to a drive-through Christmas light show; most vehicles shut-down headlights and use parking lights only. The 400H still has daylight running lights "DRL's" enabled and causes distraction to others; is there a way to temporarily disable the DRL's while at the display?

Regards from Eastern North Carolina
Old 11-28-08, 02:24 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The only way for a temporarily way is to remove the bulbs and then add them back in when your ready.
Old 11-28-08, 08:46 AM
performanc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iKenn
The only way for a temporarily way is to remove the bulbs and then add them back in when your ready.
Thanks!

But a step easier might be to place some temporary shades over the external portion of the lights and obviously remove prior to departing the display.
Old 11-28-08, 11:36 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Oh yeah. That will look a little weird but less drastic.
Old 11-29-08, 08:51 AM
hensta
Driver School Candidate

Here's a thought. How about pulling the fuse for the headlights? I don't know if it will affect other electronics though. You might also get a warning light on the dash.
Old 11-29-08, 11:01 AM
performanc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hensta
Here's a thought. How about pulling the fuse for the headlights? I don't know if it will affect other electronics though. You might also get a warning light on the dash.

Good idea to consider; I just don't have the technical expertise to determine what else may be affected, whether this would leave a trouble code in the system, potentially affect safety equipment functions, etc.
Old 11-29-08, 01:07 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

you can do this a local lexus dealership, if they will do it for you. Some dealers will be glad to turn it off for you as a Lexus personalized settings or some dealers will tell you off with the explanation of liability issues. So just check with your dealer.
Old 11-29-08, 03:36 PM
performanc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEXveryG8
you can do this a local lexus dealership, if they will do it for you. Some dealers will be glad to turn it off for you as a Lexus personalized settings or some dealers will tell you off with the explanation of liability issues. So just check with your dealer.
Agreed and thanks for your input; I had the opportunity to disable the DRL's at my 1K service visit; but after reviewing the safety benefits, chose to allow them to remain in the on position (despite the extra electric power used in the hybrid).

The original post refers to a temporary method of disabling the lights for a short term for a specific purpose, not permanently.
Old 11-29-08, 08:09 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Well, then you can go back and have them turn it back on. haha I don't about you, but you have a good relationship with your service adviser then it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to have them turn it off and turn it on again. But hey it's just a idea. Hope you will have fun at the Christmas light show.
Old 11-30-08, 12:36 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Just put tape over your headlights.
Old 11-30-08, 04:04 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just unplug the connector that goes to bulb. That way you can leave the bulbs in place and plug the connector back in.
Old 12-01-08, 06:18 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You might try a number of combination of turning on parking lights, ignition on/off, lights on/off, etc. I've been successful after some fumbling when driving into a drive-in movie (or even watching DVD movies in the car during the weeks of power failure after hurricane Ike) where I needed the engine running and lights out. I keep forgetting to try this again and report my solution, but I believe some combination of switch settings will turn off the DRLs.
Old 12-01-08, 11:46 AM
davidsong
Lead Lap

those combo i believe might work on a GS or IS but it doesnot work on the RX, atleast when i tried it it didnt work....
Old 12-01-08, 05:14 PM
performanc
Driver School Candidate

All good suggestions; any other input?
Old 12-25-08, 09:55 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

I know with GM vehicles that if you have the parking brake pressed down one click and start driving it will leave the lights on because it thinks it is parked

Quick Reply: Temporary Disable Of DRL's