Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Ham Radio in a RX400h

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-07, 12:45 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Ham Radio in a RX400h

I have installed a Yaseu FT90 in my RX400h and plug it into the rear 12 Volts jack. How many of us hams are out here with a mobile setup and what do you use. I am thinking of upgrading the rig. Has any one gone direct to the battery??? I know of one other ham out here on this board.
N2OPJ
Old 08-26-07, 01:51 PM
ler0y
Driver

Good to see you here herbvdh.

For my handheld Icom transceiver I use the cigarette lighter adaptor as well, but my maximum transmit power is only 11 W I believe. I also have a 120W invertor plugged in as well for miscellaneous electronic items.

What I like about my Icom T90A is it has continuous coverage including cellular bands up to 1.3 GHz (which is legal up here in Canada). I've also modified the unit as well so that I can transmit on FRS/GMRS channels so I don't have to carry a separate unit for that. Unfortunately it doesn't have the squelch codes, but it cost me nothing to do the mod so I am happy.

Last edited by ler0y; 08-26-07 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-29-07, 05:05 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

ler0y:
I would not know what covers all that spectrum. I have a half a mind to put my Icom 706MK2G in the mobile but have notmade up my mind what to replace it with for PSK31 its current use, What is your callsign??? My son is around here as KB2YZA his old call he is now K1VDH
N2OPJ
Old 08-29-07, 08:13 PM
ler0y
Driver

Heya Herb, my callsign is VE3XXO up here in Canada.

What are you using for an antenna btw and how do you have it mounted?

I've got a Comet tri-band 36 inch antenna on a mag mount, but I find that with it on the RX400h roof, it is too tall and always hits the garage door on the way in and out.

I have the 2007 ARRL manual, and there is a picture of somebody with their antenna mounted at bumper level. I'm trying to figure out how to get that done for the RX400h and wondering how that will affect performance.

I think I'm just going to stick with the Icom handheld for now for car use.

I haven't been on the air much because I am pretty well new to this and I don't belong to a club or organization so I have a lot to learn. Plus the equipment is so expensive too and I'm really interested in doing HF and DX type stuff.
Old 08-30-07, 04:01 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

ler0y:
Go to this link http://n2opj.tripod.com/ then in the left side is "antenna bracket design" this was put on my 2000 RX300 now I have not been under the RX400h yet but I guess it will be soon. I am using a roof rack mount I purchased from Advanced Specialties in Lodi NJ the only thing is I need bridge clearance may be an issue top of antenna is at about 10.5 feet up.
Herbert N2OPJ
Old 08-30-07, 09:44 PM
tawm
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Other suggestions for antenna mounts / running cables?

Thanks for your photos Herbert. Can anyone else share their experiences:
running power leads through the firewall?
running coax leads into the passenger compartment?
mounting antennas on the roof rack rails / trunk lip mount?
mounting VHF rigs (without detachable faceplates) inside the drivers area?

I just bought an RX 350 and would like to get mobile again. Any ideas / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
WB2HTJ
Old 08-31-07, 05:41 PM
ler0y
Driver

Thanks for the link Herb, that looks exactly like what I need. Say, when you use your mobile while driving, do you use PTT or VOX?

VE3XXO
Old 08-31-07, 07:05 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I always used a PTT though I had started to design something hands free but gave up on it due to how to mount the microphone.
Old 08-31-07, 07:34 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

See below comments to what I have done to my vehicles to get radios installed. I had a Yaseu FT90 in the RX300 which I got back from my son.

Originally Posted by tawm
Thanks for your photos Herbert. Can anyone else share their experiences:
running power leads through the firewall?
I had ran 12 volts in my 1997 LS400 by coming through the drivers side fender into the kick panel and fished it through.

running coax leads into the passenger compartment?
mounting antennas on the roof rack rails / trunk lip mount?
The Maldol Exceed worked very good on my Toyota/Lexus

mounting VHF rigs (without detachable faceplates) inside the drivers area?

In my Prius I had made my own mount by running aluminum strips one inch wide about .125 thick from under dash to console then tapped and screwed angled vertical strips bent at a 45 degree angle to mount the mobile bracket on. These strips were only about 6 to 7 inches long. If you did that you would loose the sliding feature of the console/storage bin rig may be to low for viewing when driving. A thought was a board to mount this on to raise it up higher.

I just bought an RX 350 and would like to get mobile again. Any ideas / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
WB2HTJ
Old 10-05-07, 04:33 AM
oz-dxer
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys
Finally i have found some other hams with a Lexus RX.

I have just bought a late 2004 RX330 Luxury sports off a friend of mine.

But now i find out it seems to be the most Ham radio unfriendly car.
I am totally stumped where to mount my hf mobile, either the ic706 or my ft857 and a ft8100 control heads?

somewhere on the front console, but where and how?
without defacing the lovely interior

the wife recons i dont need a radio in the car anyway.

i have thought of a fender/front guard mobile mount on the passenger side with an atas120 and using the other guard to mount a dual band 2/70 antenna for the ft8100
btw my call is VK3GK

Cheers Lee
Old 10-05-07, 10:04 AM
ler0y
Driver

Heya oz-dxer, pleased to meet you!!

Yes, I am having the same problem finding antenna mounting points, and I'm not even thinking about a head unit yet. I spoke with the service guys at my Lexus dealership, and they said that you have to be careful about drilling into the body and whatnot because of the concern about moisture etc. So I'm trying to figure out how to non-invasively mount an antenna. However, doing a mount on the bumper, or below the plane of the top surface of the vehicle is going to affect the antenna radiation pattern, so I have to think about it further. Cheers.

VE3XXO
Old 10-05-07, 07:23 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

oz-dxer
Right now I have the winter to build a box to hold my rig in the rear and use velcro loop to keep it from sliding around. As for mounting the Icom 706MK2 head up front I was going to use http://www.proclipusa.com/ clip to mount the head up front. Amazing the antennae on the left rear luggage rack has a ONE TO ONE SWR only one issue I ran the coax over the gasket and found water leaking in so my son put a slot with a razor blade in the gasket and no more problem. I was close to putting my 706MK2G in the car but the FT90 is working good the head is between the sunvisor and the roof. Caution this may interfere with your vision ahead. I have not used proclip at all.
N2OPJ
Old 10-20-07, 08:07 PM
jerryray
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by herbvdh
I have installed a Yaseu FT90 in my RX400h and plug it into the rear 12 Volts jack. How many of us hams are out here with a mobile setup and what do you use. I am thinking of upgrading the rig. Has any one gone direct to the battery??? I know of one other ham out here on this board.
N2OPJ
Yes, I have an Icom 2720 and An Icom 7000 new hf.
Antennas mounted on the rear bumber guard I had installed.
I use a 1 farad cap with a low voltage booster to get 13.8 volts to the radio.
Not one hole drilled. I made brackets for mounting that "slip" above the nav and down near the shifter for the 7000.

perhaps my picture will show the radios
Old 10-21-07, 07:46 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I would enjoy seeing the pictures apparently they did not come through.

Originally Posted by jerryray
Yes, I have an Icom 2720 and An Icom 7000 new hf.
Antennas mounted on the rear bumber guard I had installed.
I use a 1 farad cap with a low voltage booster to get 13.8 volts to the radio.
Not one hole drilled. I made brackets for mounting that "slip" above the nav and down near the shifter for the 7000.

perhaps my picture will show the radios
Old 10-22-07, 05:16 AM
jerryray
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by herbvdh
I would enjoy seeing the pictures apparently they did not come through.

Quick Reply: Ham Radio in a RX400h