Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 7ES forum for discussion about shared components with other seventh generation ES models.

'22 Lexus Hybrid Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-23, 06:20 PM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default '22 Lexus Hybrid Upgrades

Across model lines Lexus upgraded their Hybrid tech on the "old platforms" like the NX and RX H series. It brought the NX on par with the new RAV 4. The RX also got a good bump. This is the same technology Toyota uses on the Highlander and Sienna. Much better performance overall with eye-opening 0-60 times. On the ES line, I can't find anything except for the Motortrend test on the 2022 ES 300H F Sport. It reports 0-60 in low 7's compared to the 8.1 previously reported from 2019. I know the F Sport does nothing for power so I discount that already. Does anyone know what the story is?

Last edited by jsmith; 08-28-23 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-15-23, 11:36 AM
scharffnh
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2022 ES 350 and 300h upgrades

Originally Posted by jsmith
Across model lines Lexus upgraded their Hybrid tech on the "old platforms" like the NX and RX H series. It brought the NX on par with the new RAV 4. The RX also got a good bump. This is the same technology Toyota uses on the Highlander and Sienna. Much better performance overall with eye-opening 0-60 times. On the ES line, I can't find anything except for the Motortrend test on the 2022 ES 300H F Sport. It reports 0-60 in low 7's compared to the 8.1 previously reported from 2019. I know the F Sport does nothing for power so I discount that already. Does anyone know what the story is?
Just got a 2022 ES 300h Luxury after numerous national searches (for colors and accessories). The Edmunds review is certainly right about the touchscreen and suspension improvements: Here's its summary: “All versions of the car receive suspension changes to improve the ride and handling, and Lexus says brake pedal feel is better. Lexus also adds a new touchscreen infotainment display, dramatically improving the user experience while reducing driver aggravation. Additional upgrades include a newly standard blind-spot monitor with rear cross-traffic alert and an updated Lexus Safety System+ 2.5 package with new and improved safety features.”
The following users liked this post:
jsmith (11-15-23)
Old 11-15-23, 01:14 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 923 Likes on 696 Posts

When we talk about the hybrid system on the 7ES, the only change was in 2020 for MY2021 when they started to use the Li-Ion battery instead of NiMH. The power and everything else remained the same.

I am very surprised they started to use Li-Ion in NA but in Europe there were no changes. They are still using NiMH.

Old 11-15-23, 08:47 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 519 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
When we talk about the hybrid system on the 7ES, the only change was in 2020 for MY2021 when they started to use the Li-Ion battery instead of NiMH. The power and everything else remained the same.

I am very surprised they started to use Li-Ion in NA but in Europe there were no changes. They are still using NiMH.
Canada did not get Li-Ion either.
Old 11-16-23, 06:39 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 923 Likes on 696 Posts

Understandable. Canada is too cold for the Li-Ion.

Last edited by ESh; 12-26-23 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-20-23, 02:08 PM
losiglow
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts

I didn't know there were any differences in the performance of the earlier versions of the 7th gen ES vs. the mid-model refresh. I know Li-Ion has better discharge capabilities than NiMH but I'd be surprised if the Li-Ion improved the acceleration that much. I guess it's possible since I can attest to EV mode being easier to "keep" on at higher load with my '22 compared to my '17 ESh that had the NiMH. The '22 will stay in EV mode at considerably higher loads, especially if the battery is fully charged. This is when the computer is managing it BTW - I never use the manual EV mode. Still, nearly a whole second less 0-60 would be surprising. I don't even have anecdotal evidence on whether the '22 is any faster than my '17 since I almost always drive like a grandma to see if I can beat my last MPG record
Myshkyn (11-20-23)
Old 12-25-23, 02:26 PM
RudimentarySpoon
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh

Is there any way to quantify how much better, if at all, the Li-Ion battery is compared to the older NiMH? If we're buying a used car now, should we go out of our way to get a 21 MY instead of focusing more on price (2019/2020 MYs)?
Old 12-30-23, 11:06 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RudimentarySpoon
Is there any way to quantify how much better, if at all, the Li-Ion battery is compared to the older NiMH? If we're buying a used car now, should we go out of our way to get a 21 MY instead of focusing more on price (2019/2020 MYs)?
I previously owned a UX250H with NiMH batteries. While MPG was good, the Hybrid driving experience wasn't that great. "Pulse and Glide" helped quite a bit, but EV mode could not realistically be sustained except puttering around town, and only in really favorable conditions. With our 22 NX350H with Li batteries, the car is able to sustain EV modes even on moderate uphills. It's much heavier than than the UX with a bigger ICE engine (2.5L vs 2L), yet it is able to deliver pretty good mileage. It also recharges the battery much quicker and the charge gauge can easily be at full bars, something that was hard to do in the UX. There's a good reason that Toyota went in this direction as regards their battery of choice in Hybrids.
RudimentarySpoon (12-30-23)
Old 12-30-23, 02:23 PM
RudimentarySpoon
Rookie

I previously owned a UX250H with NiMH batteries. While MPG was good, the Hybrid driving experience wasn't that great. "Pulse and Glide" helped quite a bit, but EV mode could not realistically be sustained except puttering around town, and only in really favorable conditions. With our 22 NX350H with Li batteries, the car is able to sustain EV modes even on moderate uphills. It's much heavier than than the UX with a bigger ICE engine (2.5L vs 2L), yet it is able to deliver pretty good mileage. It also recharges the battery much quicker and the charge gauge can easily be at full bars, something that was hard to do in the UX. There's a good reason that Toyota went in this direction as regards their battery of choice in Hybrids.
Neat, first I am learning about "pulse and glide" (never driven a hybrid before).

It looks like li-ion does have tangible benefits from the few articles I've read today. Maybe I'll aim for a 2021 MY ES unless there's a massive price differential for a 19 or 2020.
Old 12-30-23, 05:47 PM
jsmith
Pit Crew

The Lexus Used Car Manager at my dealership seemed oblivious to these changes. He mentioned 2019 for the major upgrade and agreed that 2021 was upgraded with the touch screen infotainment when I brought it up. Check pricing on Edmunds, from what I saw before, there were only incremental changes from 2019 all the way up to 2023 ES 300H's.
Old 12-31-23, 11:37 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

Here in Dallas our last hybrid with NiMh got worse fuel economy in the winter, now my ESh with Lion gets worse MPG when the temps are over 95 and the best efficiency in the winter.
Old 12-31-23, 08:17 PM
RudimentarySpoon
Rookie

The Lexus Used Car Manager at my dealership seemed oblivious to these changes. He mentioned 2019 for the major upgrade and agreed that 2021 was upgraded with the touch screen infotainment when I brought it up. Check pricing on Edmunds, from what I saw before, there were only incremental changes from 2019 all the way up to 2023 ES 300H's.
Without having to go back and read article after article on the various model years, is there a standardized location where we can find the changes from year to year? Not sure if one exists for Lexus.
Old 01-01-24, 06:04 PM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BBQapple
Here in Dallas our last hybrid with NiMh got worse fuel economy in the winter, now my ESh with Lion gets worse MPG when the temps are over 95 and the best efficiency in the winter.
Have not had ours long enough to experience summer performance. I noticed that it can get 44-45 around town but with mixed driving, it is currently averaging 42+ mpg, including highway travel at 65+mph. I also keep it in Sport mode most times.