HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Tire Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 07:03 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Just ordered 4 Primacy MXM4's from Discount Tire. Most stores in my area were out, but my shop had no problem getting them the next day. I asked him why no one had them and he said they sell like hot cakes given their low price compared to similar tires. Got them for $143 +tax, mounting, etc.

As for my Conti DWS's, I'm right at 30,000 miles and if I had paid more attention to rotations, probably could have gotten another 5K out of them. But I'm up for inspection, and one won't pass and another probably isn't good for snow, so I'm getting them replaced.

The Conti's were good, better IMO than the Toyo's, but i'm hoping the Primacy's are even better :-)
Old 12-13-13, 07:41 PM
ceads9
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same tires mxm4 . I like them better than the Toyo, just noticed today they are asymmetric and the local ( don't hurt me) wal-mart put three on the wrong way . So I've been driving around with my tires on wrong, . Be sure the say outside not inside on the sidewall .
Old 12-16-13, 10:21 PM
dedas1
Rookie

I sent Michelin a question why they are discontinuing the MXM4 tires but no response. I think I found the answer, but it doesn't help us as yet. When looking for tires for the hybrid, one important aspect is the "low rolling resistance" quality of the tire to maintain efficiency and mpg. Many other tire companies are working on LRR as well, but I am partial to Michelin tires so won't comment on the other companies. The short of it for Michelin is that the new tire line "defender" guarantees mileage to 90K and is green technology or "green X" also. Unfortunately, they do not make it in the tire size for the premium wheel size 245/45/18 as yet. I don't know if it would give the same quietness as the MXM4s. I hate my Toyo's road noise and have 6/32 remaining on my tires currently. I can't bring myself to spending $1000 for new tires yet.
Old 12-17-13, 04:15 AM
ceads9
Driver

I called Michelin and was told they still make them . I explained what I heard and he said . No we still make them . I'm just going off what I hear from you guys.
Old 12-17-13, 10:49 PM
dedas1
Rookie

For the record, ceads9, I stand corrected. You are correct. Michelin did respond with the below reply. They still make them, but why they went on sale for $130 each this summer is beyond me. So, I can rest assured that they will be around next year, for now.

"Thank you for considering Michelin tires for your vehicle, David.

At this time we do not have any information that indicates that the Primacy MXM4 tires are going to be discontinued. This is still a very successful and popular tire. However, please keep in mind that as we do continue to develop new tire technologies, the older model tires will be replaced with the newer tires that will offer more features and benefits."

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin, David.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Danika
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert
Old 12-18-13, 06:33 AM
Magellan55

BTW - the Primacy MXM4's are also "Green X" (I'm standing here in the tire store looking at the sidewall of one on the wall). Not saying it will match the Defender's mpg, but rolling resistance is a factor they considered in it. Checking Michelin's website, they rate the Defender an "8" in fuel efficiency (10 in wear life), and the Primacy MXM4 gets a "10" for fuel efficiency. So according to Michelin, the MXM4 is even better for mpg than the Defender. Just my opinion, but the MXM4 should be a better match for the suspension on the HS too - the Defender is made for minivans and "floaty" cars with soft suspensions and lots of body roll.
Old 12-18-13, 11:10 AM
Magellan55

Price update - the MXM4 is now $20 more at several places I looked. Also, what I noticed is some places key off the OEM speed rating when showing tire availability - since our OEM tires are W rated (right, like the HS can exceed 150 mph...), the V rated Primacy MXM4 doesn't show up as available. You have to just search for the size (225/45R18) in order to see the Primacy MXM4. This happened at the local tire place I was at this morning getting tires for my Ody, and also on the Michelin website. So if someone tells you they don't have the MXM4 for the HS, make sure they aren't keying off the speed rating.
Old 12-21-13, 02:06 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Wow. No one has given the Pirelli's a look? If the MXM4 are going away then the P7's are going on my Camry hybrid.
Old 01-05-14, 07:23 PM
Magellan55

Update on both the MXM4's and Defenders, now that I roll on both :-) I put over 1000 miles on a set of Defenders on my Odyssey last week, and while they are quiet, the steering response is really poor, even for minivan use. I could wiggle the steering wheel back and forth, and the car just kept straight on the highway! That wasn't the case with the old LX4's. I really think an HS owner would be unhappy with the Defender - maybe a Prius owner.

OTOH, the MXM4's on my HS feel pretty good. Right off the bat, the difference in noise from the Conti DWS was noticeable. I could hear wind noise again, something I hadn't heard since I put the DWS's on. Haven't driven in really bad weather yet, so I can't comment on wet / hydroplane / snow response. Steering response isn't as sharp as the DWS, though I wonder if that's partly due to the lack of much tread remaining on the old tires. It doesn't feel much out of character for the HS, or out of tune with the suspension. MPG is a mixed bag - it went up for the first tank, but then dropped the last one. I think weather has something to do with it, as it got warm and then really cold here in NC the past few weeks. Maybe I'll write a better review in a new thread after I live with them another month or two.
Old 01-06-14, 09:59 AM
Magellan55

Originally Posted by nabbun
Wow. No one has given the Pirelli's a look? If the MXM4 are going away then the P7's are going on my Camry hybrid.
Sorry - forgot to address your question about Pirelli's. Sample size of 1, but the reason I didn't shop Pirelli was previous experience with their P6000 on a previous vehicle. Were great when new, but wore out rapidly and wet handling degraded more quickly than other tires as it wore. Hydroplaned so bad that I had to replace them before I even hit the wear indicators.

So after buying AS touring tires for 30+ years (can't speak to high performance / summer tires), and having tried Goodyear, Goodrich, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Toyo, and Yokohama, I now stick to Michelin and Continental. I use 'em on my bicycles too :-)
Old 01-20-14, 01:03 PM
lexusinlou
Driver School Candidate

I have brand new Michelin Primacys on the HS250h I purchased last week. They put them on while doing the certification of the car. They ride great. I had Continental Contacts on my bimmer and loved how they performed in the rain and snow. Got a good taste of driving the Primacys in the snow last Friday and they performed admirably considering I'm stepping down from an AWD car to front wheel drive.
Old 02-11-14, 06:25 PM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi gang!!

Had a flat on one of my Yoko's which resulted in a slow leak through the plug. They are almost in need of replacement so decided to get 4 new shoes for the car. Problem is that I can't get a decent price locally for any of the higher rated ones on TireRack so gotta shop online. Found the Conti Purecontact on Amazon w/ free ship if Prime member (TR wants over $200 in shipping). Was jus' wondering if anyone had tried these yet. Can you give me your impressions on the tires? TIA

The Pirelli P7's were ranKed higher on TR but some reported a drastic cut in mpg's.
Old 02-12-14, 03:25 PM
lexusinlou
Driver School Candidate

I can only speak for the Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires that I had on my previous ride. They were great in the rain and the little bit of snow I ever encountered while I had them but they tended to develop annoying "flat spots" when sitting for a while. That, obviously, gave them a bit of a bumpy feel but after a few miles, they would ride fine. The Michelin Primacys I have on the HS (they've only got about 1500 miles on them so far) are smooth as silk. I've read that they don't live a long life but right now I'm enjoying the ride.
Old 02-13-14, 08:59 PM
dedas1
Rookie

Costco list the Primacy MXM4 online for $178 each and Michelin is offering a $70 rebate through mid-March for a set of 4. Costco gives you the "full meal deal" w/ installation, balance, tire flat warranty, etc. Comes to somewhat around $166 a tire. Good luck. I am still a hold out w my Toyo's. I have 6/16" left which should get me through the winter and only at 33,000 miles.
Old 02-14-14, 11:18 AM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusinlou
I can only speak for the Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires that I had on my previous ride. They were great in the rain and the little bit of snow I ever encountered while I had them but they tended to develop annoying "flat spots" when sitting for a while. That, obviously, gave them a bit of a bumpy feel but after a few miles, they would ride fine. The Michelin Primacys I have on the HS (they've only got about 1500 miles on them so far) are smooth as silk. I've read that they don't live a long life but right now I'm enjoying the ride.
I hope that I don't run into this since the thread design of the PureContacts differs although "noisy tires" were noticed from a few reviewers. Also the UTQG mileage rating on the PC is higher which may make the noise problem a little bit easier to swallow. LOL, my son is the dd now and I'm in his '98 Camry since he attends college and puts about 1000% more milage on a car than I do. I don't think he'll notice the "noise" over his audio I do get to use "my car" once in a while (when the gas tank is near empty).

Originally Posted by dedas1
Costco list the Primacy MXM4 online for $178 each and Michelin is offering a $70 rebate through mid-March for a set of 4. Costco gives you the "full meal deal" w/ installation, balance, tire flat warranty, etc. Comes to somewhat around $166 a tire. Good luck. I am still a hold out w my Toyo's. I have 6/16" left which should get me through the winter and only at 33,000 miles.
My local Costco was NIS on the MXM4 or the V4 and wanted $230 plus $15 install for the M4's on top of a 2 week wait for delivery. Must be because of the famous Paradise Tax here in Hawaii .

BTW, I already ordered the PureContacts from Amazon and they should arrive on Monday. I'll post any thoughts on the tires after I get a chance to use the car. I plan to get the M4's from Costco for my Camry real soon if they got'em since the front tires will need replacement also.

I appreciate both of your comments on the matter

Last edited by noku; 02-14-14 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire Replacement