HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

TPMS - Where to Find?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 05:23 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NVMYHS
Yep, you're right...I've got nothing better to do than come on here and lie about my TPMS. For the last time, no programming required for your TPMS!

If programming were required, there would be a note on that part from the Lexus which states "This part requries dealer programming"...but there is no such note.

If one breaks, you can order another one from Lexus, have it installed by ANY tire shop, put your tire back on your car, and it will work without any programming. I just think your dealer is charging you for something they aren't doing!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-sensors.html

Read under "direct":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pr...itoring_system
Old 03-25-13, 06:10 AM
NVMYHS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez this is like debating my kid! If you order a set of tires/wheels from discount tire, they DO NOT have a programming device, they purchase/order the Lexus sensor associated with your particular vehicle, (i.e., HS, ES, RX, IS, GS), put them in the tires/wheels you ordered and ship them to you. When you mount your tires, your vehicle recognizes the sensors. That's it! The sensors are NOT VIN specific, they are MODEL specific, therefore, they DO NOT need programming. This is exactly what I've done for my snow tires. Just call Lexus or discount tire yourself!

When I asked Lexus about your theory of pulling up next to someone in traffic (felt very stupid asking that), but the tech said the ECU would always read the sensor with the strongest signal (i.e., the ones on your vehicle). He said if you took all of your sensors out of your tires, then drove up VERY close to the same vehicle, he said it would probably take a few minutes, but if the signal was strong enough, your vehicle would pick up that sensor because the sensor are not "programmed" to a particular vehicle, they are made for the "model" of a vehicle.

In any case, this has long been counterproductive and I'm done! Good luck with your future TPMS programming.
Old 03-25-13, 06:13 AM
NVMYHS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy
Still looking for a used set.

Going to try to get Discount Tire to sell me a set for $220 and throw in mounting/balancing of my wheels/tires when they come in if I don't find a set first.
According to Airman, make sure you send discount tire your VIN so they can "program" them to your particular vehicle or else they won't work!
Old 03-25-13, 10:45 AM
toomeypj
Rookie

I'm with Airman on this one; read this thread from Toyota Nation forum on using an OBDII connection to program the TPMS for a particular vehicle:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/8-...ion-honda.html

Here is the website of the company that makes the programming tool:

http://www.ateqtpm.com/

It appears to me that you buy the sensors made for your vehicle and then have the vehicles computer programmed to read those particular sensors (hence the summer and winter settings in the programming tool).

I am happy to have one set of tires for year round use, but lets clear up the confusion for those that want to have seasonal tires.

Or am I wrong about this?
Old 04-11-13, 04:05 PM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking like I'm just going to have the TPMS taken out of the stock wheels tires and if/when I sell the car, have them put back in the OEMs.
Old 04-18-13, 02:23 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Lexus/ Toyota vehicles require the Sensors to be programed to the vehicle. While on some vehicles more than one set can be programed so that you can switch between snow and summer tires they DO need to be programed. You might be able to get aftermarket sensors from Dill, but your looking at roughly $50 and up for each sensor AND they will need to be programmed to the vehicle. BTW I work on wheels and tires and know this to be fact. Feel free to PM me

Last edited by lexo98; 04-18-13 at 02:42 AM. Reason: added info
Old 04-21-13, 06:40 AM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's what I tried to explain to the skeptical poster some posts back before he claimed I was like his "kid". Then after his attack, it became no use in trying to explain.

But since you work on wheels, maybe you could verify what I learned.

Some dealers, including Lexus, use an older type tool to code the sensors to the ECU. So if you bought your new wheels with TPMS sensors installed from Tire Rack, for example, the dealer might have to dismount the tire to actually read the TPMS sensor serial number to code it into the ECU.

Where as some of the bigger tire dealers like NTB have a newer tool that you hold next to the sensor in the wheel, that read the serial without having to dismount your new wheel and tire.

In other words, call first before having your new set programmed to see if they need to dismount to read the serial.
Old 04-22-13, 10:26 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

AIrman you are correct. It all depends on what tools they are using.
Old 04-26-13, 05:37 PM
NVMYHS
Driver School Candidate

Yes Airman you are correct! It's just too bad that I'm the only one on this forum that has purchased an extra set of wheels with TPMS installed...and they DID NOT have to be programmed to my vehicle and they work just fine. Now, please explain that...anyone? Anyone? Oh yea, I must have magic sensors. Yea, that's it, I have magic sensors. By the way, I NEVER wrote you were like my kid...please read my post again, I specifically stated, "it's like debating my kid" But, I guess you're right about that as well...In any case, I'm done. Happy Programming!
Old 04-27-13, 11:17 PM
TonyHS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NVMYHS, it's very interesting tire rack got you a set of tires that your car's computer recognizes. However I'm confident that the 2010 HS 250h requires a set serial number for the TPMS system to function properly.

As you can see here my car has 4 different serial numbers for the TPMS transmitters.

And it's very clearly stated the docs show below that any different sensors need to be registered into the system with techstream.

So the above documents could be unnecessary leading people to believe the system needs the numbers to be set manually even though the car can automatically recognize a set of sensors.

I would be interesting to see if NVMYHS's car shows 2 different sets of serial numbers, or if tirerack was somehow able to obtain his serial numbers and clone them onto the sensors.

Now here's one very interesting thing most owners have noticed, the tire pressure shown on the dash track the tire location. Because of that I believe the system is not capable of self programing since if it could it should always show a specific tire location's tire pressure.

Now Airman, since it sounds like one of your sets of tires does not have tpms your car recognizes there is no sensors when you drive out of range of your set of summer tires you get a light on your dash warning you. What would be interesting is if you drove up near another HS 250h and seeing if you could get the tire pressures from that car. I'm guessing you wont, but it would be great to find out if we can simply get a second set of sensors for a second set of tires.

It's also interesting that my screen shows like the car might possibly be capable of having 2 sets of sensors as there's a main and second. Maybe the second setting can be automatically triggered with special tpms transmitters?

Last edited by TonyHS; 04-27-13 at 11:21 PM.