HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Bought my 2nd HS250H this week...and a question about 2010 vs 2011 navi systems

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 08:02 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought my 2nd HS250H this week...and a question about 2010 vs 2011 navi systems

Well, I said I like the car and I meant it. I drove to Texas and bought the 1st one from Park Place Lexus in Dallas (the Fort Myers Florida dealer could not get one for me - but that is another story) - but the Dallas dealer could get one, and did. Within a couple of weeks after I brought it home in September, my wife took control of it...so I found another premium in Massachusetts at Mattie Audi and went up there and bought it - my first one is obsidian black 2011 with a black interior. My newest (actually older) is a 2010 black Opal with a black interior that seems a touch darker (which I like better) interior. My wife gets the newer one (of course).

I have a question for the forum - the 2011 model Navi system projects the number of freeway lanes at a 'Y' onto its screen and onto the windshield. The 2010 model I just purchased projects a thick turn arrow onto its screen and onto the windshield showing which way to go if you have entered a destination. Is that the experience others have? Is there any way to update the 2010 navi system to do the same thing the 2011 navi system does? Or is it just coincidental based on the areas I have been driving in? If I get the update disk from Lexus, does that update the software too? If anyone knows, I would appreciate the information.

Last edited by RJQMAN; 03-12-12 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-12-12, 01:11 PM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Default Did you ever

Does it up date the system or just the maps. Cost is 200 . If it up dates the system I will buy it.
Old 02-12-12, 05:16 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The latest update is 11.1.

To figure out which one you have, press 'menu" on the remote touch mouse...

Then click 'info/phone"....

Then click "map data"....

Also when you are there, make sure your coverage area is properly set, by clicking "map coverage area" on the "map data" screen. Maybe that's the problem.

A quick check online shows a price of $169 for the update, but it says its a "dealer only install" for the hard drive based systems.

PS. Congrats on the second one !! Too bad your local dealer is such a lazy loser. Maybe he just doesn't need the money !!??!!
Old 02-14-12, 09:41 AM
RJQMAN
Driver

Originally Posted by TheAirman
The latest update is 11.1.

To figure out which one you have, press 'menu" on the remote touch mouse...

Then click 'info/phone"....

Then click "map data"....

Also when you are there, make sure your coverage area is properly set, by clicking "map coverage area" on the "map data" screen. Maybe that's the problem.

A quick check online shows a price of $169 for the update, but it says its a "dealer only install" for the hard drive based systems.

PS. Congrats on the second one !! Too bad your local dealer is such a lazy loser. Maybe he just doesn't need the money !!??!!
It is odd and a little sad that the Lexus dealer in my region could not get a car for me. Even the salesman mumbled under his breath that he could have sold a lot more of these if he could have just gotten them. I do not know for sure, but I think it is the Lexus regional guy in Jacksonville (I think) that has prevented the fully equipped HS models like the one I wanted from coming into the region for the past couple of years, and I am guessing that the dealer does not want to lose his franchise by breaking Lexus rules and going outside of his region to trade for one.

Add in that demand on these is low, and that he probably has to meet quotas on new car sales, not used car sales, which means he was not in a position to help me get a used one unless he gets one in trade (which was not likely since the regional manager apparently blocked selling the ones I wanted in this region in the first place). I found fully-equipped used HS250H cars in Massachusetts, Illinois, and Colorado, but finding them in the SE Region of the states was next to impossible.

With the politicians doing things to raise the price of gas, I think that Lexus pulled the plug on the HS250H Premium with the good stuff on it a year too soon. But they did not ask my opinion.
Old 02-27-12, 03:15 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Default Did you ever get the update? Plus Trip

Hi
I just took a 1600 mile 2 day trip. It took me past Charlotte and Orlando at 7 PM and a heavy rain storm! The Navi traffic is a must and the heads up display is a must and the radar cruse was also a must. Never missed a beat and at heavy speeds around the loops was astounding bumper to bumper.
The question I have is about the 11 or 12 new software . Is it worth the money and does it change the heads up display?
The biggest problem I now have is I would never buy a car with out these features and also the lane assist.
Gas miles 36-37 and that's at 70-78 at times - 74 was the set speed on I-75. I love the car!
Old 03-12-12, 06:42 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Default Update on Navi Report

Originally Posted by JamesDemo
Does it up date the system or just the maps. Cost is 200 . If it up dates the system I will buy it.
Sorry to take so long to respond - been really busy and have not been back to the forum for a while.

The dealer in Ft. Myers did a free oil change for me, and then at my request, he updated the Navi on my 2010 HS250h - he charged me a bit over $200 though, and I had noted that others said it would cost about $160. I did not object to the charge, as I figure the dealer has to make a profit too and I was anxious to see what the update would do for my system.

I had hoped that it would update the system visual projections, as my 2011 shows the number of lanes on the freeway when there is a 'Y' on my route with the desired route direction highlighted (or flashing - I forget which). The navi on my 2010 only shows an arrow showing which way to go. Both systems display this on the HUD which is really cool and convenient. I love that feature - especially the one that shows the number of lanes which makes it very clear which lane I need to get into - really handy when driving around Miami.

I updated my 2010 with high hopes, but unfortunately the update did not provide this feature, as I hoped it would. In answer to your question JamesDemo, I am not sure how much value the update is with respect to new roads, etc., as I have not had any problem with the roads or the businesses listed on my 2010.

By the way - my wife drives the 2011. Sigh.
Old 03-12-12, 06:45 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Default Lane Assist Value?

Originally Posted by JamesDemo
Hi
I just took a 1600 mile 2 day trip. It took me past Charlotte and Orlando at 7 PM and a heavy rain storm! The Navi traffic is a must and the heads up display is a must and the radar cruse was also a must. Never missed a beat and at heavy speeds around the loops was astounding bumper to bumper.
The question I have is about the 11 or 12 new software . Is it worth the money and does it change the heads up display?
The biggest problem I now have is I would never buy a car with out these features and also the lane assist.
Gas miles 36-37 and that's at 70-78 at times - 74 was the set speed on I-75. I love the car!
I love to car too, JamesDemo. However I am not overwhelmed with the LKA. It seems to be a bit of a nuisance at times, as I tend to switch lanes to pass fairly frequently, and the LKA beeps and nudges each time, just like it is supposed to do. The radar cruise is wonderful, but mine cuts out in heavy rain (and so does the LKA), whereas the older style cruise control never cut out. It is not a problem, though, as the Radar Cruise control is such an exceptionally practical feature that the minor inconvenience of not using it in heavy rain is well worth it to me.