HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

My new lexus hybrid stalled on Hwy 401 express

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-11, 02:59 AM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I, for one, find this thread very interesting.

A 6 week old car that stalled without warning, had to towed to the dealer who found nothing wrong with it? Yes it does sound fishy.

With all of Toyota's media problems in the past, maybe this is being swept under the carpet?

Please keep us posted on what you learn.
Old 08-28-11, 10:56 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been tracking the Kia and especially the Sonata Hybrid groups, and they have had a lot of similar problems, although perhaps not identical. Difference is the Lexus has been out there for several years, and hopefully had those issues well behind them. I had a Chrysler van stall on I-75 a few years back. I know those things happen - it does not mean the whole line of cars is bad - but it is a real concern. I cannot imagine Lexus being willing to replace it unless the problem recurs a second time and they cannot diagnose it. But I can see them pulling out the stops to find out what went wrong.

I, for one, hope you continue to keep us updated on what happens with the car.
Old 08-28-11, 11:50 PM
lexuslivin
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shutting down on the freeway is crazy. Talk to Lexus Corporate and give back the car. Get another car, preferably not the HS.
Old 08-30-11, 12:18 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAirman

A 6 week old car that stalled without warning, had to towed to the dealer who found nothing wrong with it? Yes it does sound fishy.

There is nothing fishy about this incident at all. There will always be a bad car out of a big batch. The OP is just unlucky in this case. I'm also not surprised that the dealer did not find anything wrong with the car. Some of the worst things to fix in a car are electrical problems, especially ones that are intermittent.
Old 09-02-11, 09:24 AM
chopstks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RJQMAN
I have been tracking the Kia and especially the Sonata Hybrid groups, and they have had a lot of similar problems, although perhaps not identical. Difference is the Lexus has been out there for several years, and hopefully had those issues well behind them. I had a Chrysler van stall on I-75 a few years back. I know those things happen - it does not mean the whole line of cars is bad - but it is a real concern. I cannot imagine Lexus being willing to replace it unless the problem recurs a second time and they cannot diagnose it. But I can see them pulling out the stops to find out what went wrong.

I, for one, hope you continue to keep us updated on what happens with the car.
Finally someone understands our awkward situation. Yes we have to wait for it to recur a second time to be fair and I hope the file is not officially closed. The hybrid Lexus is a real fuel efficient car at average of 5L/100km which is hard to give up at this time. Speaking of stalling on a highway, every driver should be alert and have the technique of handling the situation. The hybrid Lexus did allow us to "limp" to the shoulder. I will keep everyone posted of any future developments.

Last edited by chopstks; 09-02-11 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-02-11, 10:49 AM
lexuslivin
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chopstks
Finally someone understands our awkward situation. Yes we have to wait for it to recur a second time to be fair and I hope the file is not officially closed. The hybrid Lexus is a real fuel efficient car at average of 5L/100km which is hard to give up at this time. Speaking of stalling on a highway, every driver should be alert and have the technique of handling the situation. The hybrid Lexus did allow us to "limp" to the shoulder. I will keep everyone posted of any future developments.
What if there wasn't a shoulder or you couldn't limp to it in time and had to stop in the middle of the freeway. A new car stalling on the freeway is unacceptable. If you push hard enough with Lexus corporate, I would imagine they would accommodate.
Old 09-06-11, 10:38 AM
acheparev
Driver

This could have been you if you didn't have time to move to the shoulder because of traffic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zyycm5_8sw
Old 11-07-11, 09:44 AM
RJQMAN
Driver

I have been driving my new HS250H on the highway quite a bit - so far, so good, and I often think of your post. Did you ever find the cause of the stall?
Old 01-11-12, 08:06 AM
chopstks
Driver School Candidate

It's been six months since my first post about the stalling on the 100km HWY 401. We kept our driving habits and drove on 100km highways for an average of 200kms weekly. The car is still good, no further issues. We have talked to 2 service managers at the dealer still problem unknown. There were some speculations but no solid answers.

Last edited by chopstks; 01-11-12 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-29-12, 07:16 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Glad to hear!
Old 10-29-14, 08:25 PM
Auroramyst
1st Gear

Default My HS250s did the same thing

I have a 2010 hybrid Lexus with only 27,093 miles on it, and I change the synthetic oil every 5000 miles and take good care if the car. But, while driving the other day, the check engine light came on as well as the engine shaped symbol. A few seconds later, the exclamation point symbol lit up and an error: Hybrid System Error (or something similar) popped up in the driver's display. I was able to go another few feet, and the car died. I was on a hill so very slowly rolled into a parking area using arm strong steering the entire way. I read the manual while waiting for Lexus AAA to pick me up two hours later. The manual said anytime there is a Hybrid Error, the car shuts down for safety reasons and so the Hybrid system isn't damaged. Things could happen due to the high voltages involved I believe.
The Lexus Dealer is great of course and gave me a nice 2015 loaner to drive. They called me today and said they had to contact the Lexus Engineers but have determined that the fuel pump was the cause...nothing to do with the Hybrid part of the system. I will let you know if that fixes the issue or not.
Old 10-31-14, 05:45 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Glad to hear you were taken care of.