HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-14, 03:29 PM
lexuseng
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Newbie questions

Just bought a 2010 HS with 50K miles. It didn’t come with a manual so I was wondering if the forum can help with some basic questions.
There is a ECO mode and POWER mode. If I don’t hit either of those, is there a 3rd mode, like a default mode that is in between?
Mine came with the radar cruise control, how do you turn off the radar? I find that feature to be a PIA. Took me awhile to figure out there are 3 (?) distance settings but even the farthest is too too conservative for me. First time it happened it when I got too close, it seemed like the engine just shut down which was a little weird. But I assume this is not collision avoidance which seems like a hot feature lately.
The driver seat rolls back automatically when the engine is turned off. Is there a way to disable this? Is this configurable for driver 1 and driver 2?
Old 06-23-14, 04:43 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi - welcome to the club! "normal" mode is on by default. "power" mode pretty much just makes the throttle more sensitive so it "feels" faster; I've never found an explanation for what else it does. Possibly it pushes the electric motor harder too, but I can't tell - I don't bother with it much. It also reverts back to normal mode the next time you start it. "eco" mode turns down the AC, and makes the throttle less sensitive; I find it saves me about 1 mpg but does make the car feel a bit lethargic. It stays in that mode after a restart, so you can leave the car in that mode if you want.

I don't have the radar, so can't help you there. Maybe do a search:
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...nual-search.do

the driver seat and several other items are user-configurable. If you have nav, see http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/HS2...th_nav_LPS.pdf
No nav, see http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/HS2...ut_nav_LPS.pdf

Or download the user manual from a fellow club member off this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hs-...or-hs250h.html
Old 06-23-14, 08:55 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you'd like a hard copy of the manual, register your car at Lexusdrivers.com and they'll send you one for free.

I don't think there is a way to disable the radar cruise, if you find a way, post it

Good luck with the new car.

Last edited by grondie; 06-23-14 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-24-14, 12:11 PM
lexuseng
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by grondie
If you'd like a hard copy of the manual, register your car at Lexusdrivers.com and they'll send you one for free.

I don't think there is a way to disable the radar cruise, if you find a way, post it

Thanks for the pointer, I'll order a manual from them. In the meantime I looked at the user configurable settings and one I didn't find is unlocking the rear doors if I walk up to it and try to open the door (without unlocking with remote). It seems like I have to open the driver door first to unlock the rear door. My other car unlocks all the doors if I open the rear door first. This is what I would like to do.
Old 06-24-14, 04:40 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry, the sensors are only on the front door handles on the HS. Had to shave costs somewhere :-)
Old 07-07-14, 01:36 PM
lexuseng
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by grondie

There is a way to disable the cruise control radar. Push the button to turn on the cruise like normal but before setting the speed, you have to push the cruise control stick forward. You have to push and hold for a second or so, then set the cruise speed. Then you don't see the radar cruise control icon with the car. You just get a speed indicator that you set.

It turns out I have the PCS system, I guess that makes sense since the PCS probably uses the same radar system. But not sure if that's a given. I didn't think I had it when I read the manual because I couldn't find the button to disable the PCS but I finally found it using a flashlight. Is this standard stuff on the premium model? I'm not even sure mine is the premium model, it wasn't advertised as premium when I bought it from a Ford dealer.
Old 07-07-14, 05:30 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're sure you have the Pre Collision System, then dynamic radar cruise is part of that system. Those options were only available as part of the Technology Package which was only available with the Premium Package. In other words, yours is almost fully loaded.

You will also have Heads up Display and Lane Keep Assist. Another neat thing is the Driver Attention Monitor. Look right in the middle of your steering column, and you should find a little black box which kinda looks like a camera looking at you. At night you'll see 4 dim red LED's in there. This watches the position of your eyes and will warn you through the PCS that you are about to drive head on into that bridge abutment at 70 mph just in front of you. (Oops, that would hurt!) It actually works too !!

I included a little reading for you to look at. Any questions, just ask.
Attached Files
Old 07-09-14, 12:29 PM
lexuseng
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheAirman
If you're sure you have the Pre Collision System, then dynamic radar cruise is part of that system. Those options were only available as part of the Technology Package which was only available with the Premium Package. In other words, yours is almost fully loaded.

You will also have Heads up Display and Lane Keep Assist. Another neat thing is the Driver Attention Monitor. Look right in the middle of your steering column, and you should find a little black box which kinda looks like a camera looking at you. At night you'll see 4 dim red LED's in there. This watches the position of your eyes and will warn you through the PCS that you are about to drive head on into that bridge abutment at 70 mph just in front of you. (Oops, that would hurt!) It actually works too !!

I included a little reading for you to look at. Any questions, just ask.
Thanks for the reading mat'l. I was pleasantly surprised to find out the car has the technology package. All I really wanted was the nav/backup camera and proximity sensors (my other car has this so when we drive our car without the sensors, sometimes we expect to hear a beep, not a good thing). The heads up display is a nice feature, I’m not sure if I’ll use all the other features (definitely not the radar cruise) although I think it beeped at me already for having my head turned and came up to a car too fast (looking for a place to park in a parking garage). I read the manual, it is not clear to me if it would activate the brakes to prevent a collision, not something you want to test. It says it can increase braking power so I guess it is just a warning system.

I agree, driving the HS changes your mindset. Instead of zipping around in a very zippy IS350, now slow is OK. Very happy to average 34mpg on my first 2 tanks (although on my own calculation I’m about 1 mpg less). About 50/50 hwy/city driving. A little over 2 weeks to go through 2 tanks so that’s over 16 cold starts.
Old 07-12-14, 03:58 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Uh, oh, seems like you been bitten too. From a IS to a HS!! Slower can be fun, and if you are watching the mileage, it'll get way better for you as soon as you learn more about how to do it. The next goal and all that stuff.

I kind of like the LKA which is the one button on the lower right of the steering wheel. As soon as you turn it on, you can kinda feel the steering get heavier. And when you see the lines in the gauge turn thick, and you cross a road line, it'll turn the steering wheel toward the direction back into the center of the lane. She likes it when I'm driving. It makes her feel like someone else is watching my driving.

It's neat because the HS will almost drive itself, and if you let it, it will keep you right in the lane until it senses you aren't touching the wheel and turns off.

And maybe cars in about 10 years will be able to drive themselves somewhat using the type of thecnology we have now. Lexus cars are like seeing the future now.
Old 07-13-14, 08:22 AM
drklain
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it is worth, there is a dealer-configurable option on the door unlock feature (can't do it with standard owner level access). This allows you to configure it such that when you touch/unlock the driver door, it will either unlock all four doors or just the driver door (for security reasons). That won't get you the ability to unlock the rear door just by touching it (no sensor in the rear door handles) but you can unlock all doors by touching the driver or front passenger door handle.
Old 11-15-14, 11:18 AM
angelsoto
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy 1994 lexus es300

Help me pleaseHi I have a speedometers problem. No warning lights on in the gauge cluster .to tell me why the speed needle is not reading the MPH .I changed out the both speed sensors on the trans box now the rpm needle works fine but the MPH needle doesn't read .I changed out, the gauge cluster too but, the same thing .happens everything works accept the MPH needle .please help me what do I do now.? To make the MPH needle read my speed no warning light to tell me anything no abs light on or air bag or engine light to tell me anything.am stumped. Please help.I really don't need a speeding tick it for the Christmas holiday.
Old 11-15-14, 11:28 AM
angelsoto
Driver School Candidate

Default newbie question.

My speed needle that reads the MPH is dead I changed out, the two sensors in the trans box and I changed out the gauge cluster and its doing the same thing .no warning light of any kind .no abs no air bag or engine lights to tell me some idea .the only thing on the gauge cluster not working is the speed needle that reads the MPH .all else works .please help me I really don't need right now is a speeding ticket for Christmas.