HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Anybody know of any navigation/phone hacks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-10, 08:42 AM
brunla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody know of any navigation/phone hacks?

On my old IS350, you were able to "unlock" the navigation and phone system to be able to input stuff while you were actually driving.

Yes I know it's dangerous.

Anybody know of any hacks like this on the HS 250??
Old 06-05-10, 10:14 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Unfortunately, there's no "secret code" like there used to be on the touch screens.

Last weekend (with the help of a mechanically-inclined friend) I installed this bypass:

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/le...-override.html

Works great. Not necessarily easy (requires partially dismantling the dash), but if you go slow and follow the directions, it's not too bad...
Old 06-05-10, 10:40 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While all of the past navi-equipped Lexus & Toyota cars I've had have suffered from over-zealous safety-minded lockouts of features while the car was moving, I don't find that to be the case with the HS. The phone system has a workable voice recognition for dialing numbers, and the navigation system allows viewing, scrolling, and selecting memory points and previous destinations while the car is moving. (I'm actually surprised Toyota's lawyers let this happen considering all the sudden-acceleration litigation they must be facing. I guess the consider the proximity of the screen to the windshield and the mouse controller allows the driver to see the road while driving.). The Enform (On Star clone) also makes it unnecessary to manually input addresses while driving.

I tried the Enform destination assist a couple times today since I was unable to find my destination when inputting the address while parked (because I didn't put "south" in front of street name) and service is free for a year. I was very impressed. The operator came online quickly and was easy to understand (no confusing accent), and was able to quickly identify the address of my destination based on my knowing only what the name sounded like (I did not know the spelling and it was an unusual name), the kind of establishment I was looking for, and the fact it was supposed to be within 10 miles of my current position. The person was very fast, helpful, and effective at figuring out my intended destination, and transmitted the coordinates wirelessly to my car. I found it much less stressful and convenient than trying to enter a destination while driving (yes, I've hacked the navi systems of 3 Toyota cars I've had in the past.)
Old 06-06-10, 10:56 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Argelius
Unfortunately, there's no "secret code" like there used to be on the touch screens.

Last weekend (with the help of a mechanically-inclined friend) I installed this bypass:

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/le...-override.html

Works great. Not necessarily easy (requires partially dismantling the dash), but if you go slow and follow the directions, it's not too bad...

Wow, a hefty price. Do you think it's worth it? The only thing that bugs me is the lack of being able to use the phone book while in motion. This is easily bipassed with use of the speed dials or voice-activated system.
Old 06-06-10, 11:54 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Canesguy;
Wow, a hefty price. Do you think it's worth it? The only thing that bugs me is the lack of being able to use the phone book while in motion. This is easily bipassed with use of the speed dials or voice-activated system.
Worth it? Probably not. Certainly not a cost-benefit analysis I'd want to defend (but it sort of goes along with the whole HS experience... )
Old 06-07-10, 06:23 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Originally Posted by brunla
On my old IS350, you were able to "unlock" the navigation and phone system to be able to input stuff while you were actually driving.

Yes I know it's dangerous.

Anybody know of any hacks like this on the HS 250??
There must be a way around this. This is the only feature I don't like. Someone find a way. PLEASE - James
Old 06-07-10, 08:48 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Canesguy
the PS kit is a little pricey but imo its worth it especially if you have ML for the dvd option.
Old 06-07-10, 09:08 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

...and dismantling your dash to install in grows hair on your chest!
Old 06-07-10, 09:49 PM
trainman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Argelius
Worth it? Probably not. Certainly not a cost-benefit analysis I'd want to defend (but it sort of goes along with the whole HS experience... )
Hilarious (and so, so true).