HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Does HS's electronic gizmos include Blind Spot Detection?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 06:33 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does HS's electronic gizmos include Blind Spot Detection?

My current Audi A4 has a very useful blind spot detection (which they call "side assist"). According to Audi's description:

Active at speeds over 19 MPH, the Audi side assist system monitors the blind spot areas, as well as fast approaching vehicles, at a range of about 150 ft. to the rear of the car. If Audi side assist identifies another vehicle, it informs the driver via LED lights in the exterior mirror.

Basically, if you turn your turn signal on to change lanes, and there is potentially a car in the way, LED lights in the side view mirrors flash. I've found it very useful.

I cant tell from Lexus' description if their lane departure system is only concerned about the lines on the road, or if it also detects cars as well.
Old 11-06-09, 05:08 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

there is no blind spot, but I hope this becomes available soon on lexus models
Old 11-14-09, 10:13 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

While a gizmo is nice, the biggest problem with blind spots is that people don't know how to adjust their sideview mirrors properly. If you can see the side of your own car in your sideview mirror, your adjustment is WAY off.
Old 11-14-09, 10:36 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Argelius
My current Audi A4 has a very useful blind spot detection (which they call "side assist"). According to Audi's description:

Active at speeds over 19 MPH, the Audi side assist system monitors the blind spot areas, as well as fast approaching vehicles, at a range of about 150 ft. to the rear of the car. If Audi side assist identifies another vehicle, it informs the driver via LED lights in the exterior mirror.

Basically, if you turn your turn signal on to change lanes, and there is potentially a car in the way, LED lights in the side view mirrors flash. I've found it very useful.

I cant tell from Lexus' description if their lane departure system is only concerned about the lines on the road, or if it also detects cars as well.
The LKA (Lane Keep Assist) helps keep the HS in it's lane. If the system detects you're veering off course, the system will give you an audible beep, as well as flash an indicator on both the heads up display and the cluster display. The system will lightly assist the steering back on course. In more simpler terms, think of bumper bowling and the "cushion" to keep you in the lane. It does not detect other vehicles around you.

More info here:
http://www.lexus.com/models/HSh/feat...e_warning.html
Old 11-14-09, 03:42 PM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
While a gizmo is nice, the biggest problem with blind spots is that people don't know how to adjust their sideview mirrors properly. If you can see the side of your own car in your sideview mirror, your adjustment is WAY off.
That may be true, but having the extra warning in my Audi has proven very helpful. I certainly don' rely on it as my sole indicator if it's safe to change lanes, but I guarantee once you have it on a car, you won't want one with out it. Disappointing Lexus hasn't seen fit to include it.
Old 11-14-09, 06:08 PM
tonyscv
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Bingo. I would say less than 10% of the driving population sets their outside mirrors properly. Cars in the lanes directly to the right or left of your car (that are going faster than you) should flow seamlessly from your rear-view mirror, to the outside right or left mirrors, to your peripheral vision and then in front of you. Those cars will never leave your sight if your mirrors are set properly.

Every car's mirrors can be set this way to view cars properly. It does take a couple of weeks to get used to this if you've never set them properly before, but once you do, you'll never go back. It's so much easier to drive with the mirrors positioned properly!

- T