HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Toyota confirms Prius-based Lexus hybrid for Europe for 2010 (Page 5)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 02:46 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not based on the blade.
Old 07-15-08, 07:52 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If these rumors are true then I need to ask what is Lexus thinking?

They've pretty much distanced themselves from re-badging JDM Toyotas (with the exception of the RX) and I think this is something they should leave behind them as soon as possible.

Furthermore, the Blade appears to be FWD and FWD does not mix well with over 200-horsepower and gobs of torque - and this car, despite its blandness, does look very sporty somehow.

Another reason why I am not happy with this rumor and its potential is that the Blade does not have any current Lexus styling cues on it. The new generation of Lexi, the current IS, ES and LS and to a small extent the LX all have recognizable Lexus styling themes on them - this doesn't. It looks like a Toyota, and that's because it is one. Slap on a Lexus badge and nothing changes, it still looks like a Toyota (I see Yaris styling cues all over it).

If this car gets the go-ahead as a Lexus, then it is definitely a cheap knee-jerk-reaction to the "oil crisis" we are currently experiencing. It will find buyers, but I feel it might not be the best route for the brand to take if they want to continue to build up their image.

I think Lexus should take a safe and easy route for now and that is offering a 4-cylinder IS and perhaps even a diesel IS in the US (not the IS220d though, that engine under the hood is terrible).
Old 07-15-08, 08:50 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

wait one sec, this is purely me speculating. I heard rumors a while back about lexus wanting to introduce a small hybrid like the prius into their line up. By no means did i read anywhere or hear anything about the blade being rebadged and introduced. I havnt heard much talk about the hybrid either. I just came across the blade, its styling and power and thought y not? Im just makin a case about why it could work.
You are correct they cant just slap a badge on it and call it a lexus. Exterior styling has to be worked on a bit, and while the interior has lexus qualities they still need to bath it in finer leathers and some wood/cf trim.

bout the FW i agree but this car has the same engine as the ES and the ES is front wheel drive. It should be 4 wheel drive. i also heard the blade doesnt drive well. blistering fast in a straight line but throw a corner in its way and it doesnt know what to do.

But im also trying to figure out what lexus can do in Europe. I mean lexus has taken the US by storm and everyone there loves it. The rest of the world has yet to fall in love.
Old 07-15-08, 10:14 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Lex is fully owned by Toy, there is no need for there to be a volume seller w. an "L" on the back.

As far as I know the idea of having this 'entry level hybrid' would be so people who want an ISh would have the option (a la GSh, LSh & RXh). In many cities w. congestion charges and obscene parking prices, a way to get around that and be able to go where ever you want is to have a hybrid (ie: the UK); those people are buying conveniance or freedom of movement if you like.

I'm sure it's been pointed out or at least illuded to before that N.A. isn't really a hybrid market place, most of you have larger distances to go and highways to use. I personally am metropolitan adjacent and I still wouldn't have much use for a hybrid. The point here being just because it's a hybrid doesn't mean it's designed for econo-box-ness &/or affordability.

All that said, USING LOGIC (not rumors, but hey, I could start an Acura-style rumor I suppose) there is no good reason to have an econo-box/hot-hatch volume seller Lex.
Old 07-15-08, 10:20 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL.. This is the car??

I would glady take the 1 series Bimmer over this entry level vehicle by Lexus thank you...
Old 07-15-08, 11:08 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Faymester
Lex is fully owned by Toy, there is no need for there to be a volume seller w. an "L" on the back.

All that said, USING LOGIC (not rumors, but hey, I could start an Acura-style rumor I suppose) there is no good reason to have an econo-box/hot-hatch volume seller Lex.
I meant it could be volume seller for that model, in order be worth it for lexus to produce the car.

logic dictates that a Lexus hot hatch would do well in europe; a huge market that lexus doesnt have a slice of. i dont see why u dont think its logical not to want to compete in that market. The guy who posted above kinda proved why toyota cant do it. Lexus has a better chance.

BTW whats cool to you might not necessarily translate as cool across the pond.

Time will tell i guess

Last edited by ndk83; 07-15-08 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-15-08, 06:17 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
LOL.. This is the car??

I would glady take the 1 series Bimmer over this entry level vehicle by Lexus thank you...
..... we'll agree to disagree on that one. the 135 probably costs twice as much and the blade will out drag a 128 with ease. Not to mention the blade is 20x better looking.

p.s. The Blade is a Toyota, and will never be anything but.
Old 07-15-08, 06:18 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ndk83
I meant it could be volume seller for that model, in order be worth it for lexus to produce the car.

logic dictates that a Lexus hot hatch would do well in europe; a huge market that lexus doesnt have a slice of. i dont see why u dont think its logical not to want to compete in that market. The guy who posted above kinda proved why toyota cant do it. Lexus has a better chance.

BTW whats cool to you might not necessarily translate as cool across the pond.

Time will tell i guess
Get over it, it won't happen.
Old 07-15-08, 08:24 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

I will say it again , I know for a fact it is not going be anything to do with the blade.
Old 07-15-08, 08:56 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I will say it again , I know for a fact it is not going be anything to do with the blade.
Well, thread starter didn't speculate that the Blade or anything similar from the Blade would be used as a Lexus, he is just saying that the Blade is something that could be used as something that could be a entry level Lexus such as the Mercedes A and B class, and BMW 1 series
Old 07-15-08, 09:17 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xioix
Well, thread starter didn't speculate that the Blade or anything similar from the Blade would be used as a Lexus, he is just saying that the Blade is something that could be used as something that could be a entry level Lexus such as the Mercedes A and B class, and BMW 1 series
And I was simply putting to rest any sort of confusion about the topic.
Old 07-15-08, 10:16 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xioix
Thank you! someone who undersands me. lol
Old 07-15-08, 10:28 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dave600hL

Dave
got any info on this subject? entry level lexus that may or may not be a hybrid?

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Get over it, it won't happen.
Damn son, dont get insulted its only a hatch. you might not want it but others do. Oh and yes it will work, u want proof? look at audi and vw, (bmw and mercedes too) those guys are trying to fill in any and every niche market possible. why should lexus be any diff. at the end of the day its all abuot market dominance, not wheather u think its a good idea
Old 07-16-08, 02:23 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ndk83
Dave
got any info on this subject? entry level lexus that may or may not be a hybrid?
It is deffinately a hybrid. And will be a whole new platform. I have seen sketches of what it is suppossed to look like, but you know how they change.
Old 07-16-08, 12:36 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I'm just not feeling it for this car. I'm all for the idea of a small Lexus but this car has more Toyota design language in it than Lexus. I think Lexus has done a good job of creating their own unique design language in recent years which is clearly visible on the new IS, ES, LS and partially on the LX. This car, the Blade, screams "sportier Toyota Yaris" to me.

Competing with the 1-Series and A3 from a performance point of view won't be that easy. Both these cars have a huge following. The A- and B-Class from Mercedes are the practicality kings in its class. Relatively small cars with lots of interior space and large trunks and a variety of engine choices. Lexus will need a small car that is both variable and offers decent driving dynamics and more importantly a variety of engines. Throwing in a hybrid and a bunch of marketing won't do the trick I am afraid.

Quick Reply: Toyota confirms Prius-based Lexus hybrid for Europe for 2010 (Page 5)