GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-23, 03:26 PM
Kelvin2020
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
The GX 470 was teased back in late 2001 via this press-only image.

Then officially revealed at NAIAS in January 2002, targeted for November 18, 2002 market launch.

https://youtu.be/RZwa2KmnYeM?t=296

However for next gen, the GX 460 was revealed just 3 weeks before release.

I think Toyota Campus Confidential in Plano at the end of May or June will be reveal at earliest, but with the facelift 2024 LC, RC-F, and TX (September) , I'm not sure.

2021 Event

GX is the last 2024 model from Lexus, so might even be held back until July or August.

Yes, I mentioned back in September 2021 it had been trademarked elsewhere in this very post below.
A bit off topic here, Lexus just trademarked LX700h in Canada
https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/t...43410&lang=eng
The following 2 users liked this post by Kelvin2020:
dwh13 (03-08-23), evilfij (03-10-23)
Old 03-16-23, 12:15 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelvin2020
A bit off topic here, Lexus just trademarked LX700h in Canada
https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/t...43410&lang=eng
Yes, I had heard from my source last year, who is working on the TX and 4Runner, that hybrid 300-Series and 310-Series models were being developed, but I wasn't paying good attention and neglected to pass it on in most instances. I was skeptical over the lack of trademark filings. Especially after I was severely underwhelmed by the 300 & 310 (LX) moving the needle forward and quickly turned my attention towards the GX, when information became more clear on it, as the 300/310 debuted.
Old 03-18-23, 03:32 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,565 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Old 03-20-23, 10:29 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Directly from Toyota MNA (private source)

2024 GX 550 is still on schedule and some of you can get ready to spend some big bucks starting in December, as that's Lexus tradition to this day. Every GX has been launched in December, generation 3 is no different.

The vehicles somewhat related to this GX, will not be appearing this year. There will be a 3 month gap to allow Tahara get up to speed with that specialty vehicle. The last of the bunch, will arrive in 18 months.

The key difference is one of them like the Venza against the RAV4, will be targeted for low volume as the legacy nameplate. The other will serve below it, targeting much higher volume. The best of them, will be segregated at Lexus showrooms and offer the Lexus dealership experience, plus more.

Anyone who is telling you that there is no Land Cruiser coming and 4Runner is dead, is a charlatan. They said that about the Sequoia, even after Toyota caught onto the pessimistic Sequoia discourse of the late 2010s and purposely leaked to media in January 2020 to shut them up, that the TX factory would be building their future Sequoia in 2022. Came true indeed.

It is one thing when rumors are spread around on forums. It's another when lazy journalists copy ignorant forum discourse and try to give fire to bad rumors, forcing the manufacturer's hand, to shut them up. That's why I'm here, to keep discussion on the same page.
​​​​​​

I keep saying this over and over, because in another space, I helped start discussion on TNGA-F (credit to TRD Fantasy) back in 2016. I had also known, that a new Sequoia was coming. In 2014 it was marked for death. Toyota finally confirmed TNGA-F 5 years later in May 2021, within a press release for the Land Cruiser 300. I do not make these things up.

The general public doesn't keep up with internal movements and chastises us industry messengers, for highlighting what we know to be true. As you can see below, I am no David Chao. My credibility matters a great deal to me, despite not even being in front of a camera.

So please, ignore any misleading information out there. This is pretty much belated anyway, since development of TNGA-F for North American markets is coming full circle already.
Originally Posted by Acrad
This man doesn't know what he's talking about and needs to stop being promoted and trusted regarding future insight.

I am tired of seeing his nonsense everywhere and people at Toyota are now annoyed at his misleading insight, while I'm getting PMs on these different forums expressing this and thanks for my responsibly "keeping speculation in line."

Toyota doesn't necessarily champion me spilling too many inner details, but are thankful that I deride claims, like the 4Runner delayed to chase after U725 Bronco and JLU Wrangler.

That stupid rumor came from this individual and many other fallacies. He's collecting easy $$$ for pulling the wool over people's eyes. He should stick to covering past and present
​​​Toyota vehicles and methodologies involved with them. That's his gift as a fellow engineer. Not guesstimates and bad predictions. He is chasing after the TFL and the bro vlogger crowd, some of which I do like, but I dislike the misinformation majority of them post.

Automotive Press doesn't even know that Lexus is already developing the FOURTH generation GX and that this new one will overlap it slightly, in being the last generation ICE GX. 2029 is all I will say (thank you to my unnamed source)
The following users liked this post:
rw3 (06-09-23)
Old 03-20-23, 10:42 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Automotive Press doesn't even know that Lexus is already developing the FOURTH generation GX and that this new one will overlap it slightly, in being the last generation ICE GX. 2029 is all I will say (thank you to my unnamed source)
Answer me this. Please tell me Toyota is going to put a PHEV in a GX? As a former 2022 Toyota RAV4 Prime owner the PHEV tech Toyota has is brilliant and frankly it is appalling that they won't roll that out in every Lexus hence forth. The TT V6 drivetrain is meh and I keep saying a PHEV system makes more sense. I'd immediately buy a GX with a PHEV system. I was hoping the new 3rd gen would have it... I won't buy anything with the TT V6 in it.
Old 03-20-23, 11:50 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
Answer me this. Please tell me Toyota is going to put a PHEV in a GX? As a former 2022 Toyota RAV4 Prime owner the PHEV tech Toyota has is brilliant and frankly it is appalling that they won't roll that out in every Lexus hence forth. The TT V6 drivetrain is meh and I keep saying a PHEV system makes more sense. I'd immediately buy a GX with a PHEV system. I was hoping the new 3rd gen would have it... I won't buy anything with the TT V6 in it.
Not to my knowledge. I don't know about that currently, as the information on GX is from two different sources. GX 550h is a 4-cylinder vehicle, but not PHEV based on the lack of + in the nomenclature. This can change however and maybe can vary depending on market.

MrTorgue (03-20-23)
Old 03-20-23, 01:05 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Not to my knowledge. I don't know about that currently, as the information on GX is from two different sources. GX 550h is a 4-cylinder vehicle, but not PHEV based on the lack of + in the nomenclature. This can change however and maybe can vary depending on market.
Bummer, the RAV4 Prime drivetrain has plenty of grunt to pull the GX around. Toyota is making it difficult for me to want a brand new model. Guess I'll keep my current GX.
Old 03-26-23, 08:46 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Bummer, the RAV4 Prime drivetrain has plenty of grunt to pull the GX around. Toyota is making it difficult for me to want a brand new model. Guess I'll keep my current GX.
Well, surprises can happen. The GX 550h is I4 and GX 550 is TTV6. The GX is going BEV instead in 2029, so that's probably why they're not bothering. They're too busy finishing up the new TNGA redesign and then translating that to BEV version with some resource overlap. Prime if not available at launch, could appear for midcycle in 2026, but with no ROI likelihood, it's not considered.
Old 03-27-23, 04:52 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Well, surprises can happen. The GX 550h is I4 and GX 550 is TTV6. The GX is going BEV instead in 2029, so that's probably why they're not bothering. They're too busy finishing up the new TNGA redesign and then translating that to BEV version with some resource overlap. Prime if not available at launch, could appear for midcycle in 2026, but with no ROI likelihood, it's not considered.
Well I'm not interested in a BEV until mileage ranges are quadrupled and the charging infrastructure in the US is SUBSTANTIALLY better. A BEV GX will effectively kill the off-roading and towing capacity. I hope there will be a GX550h+ (Prime PHEV), I'd for sure buy one.

Any idea if Toyota is going to do a PHEV on anything rose other than the NX?
Old 04-01-23, 01:39 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Well I'm not interested in a BEV until mileage ranges are quadrupled and the charging infrastructure in the US is SUBSTANTIALLY better. A BEV GX will effectively kill the off-roading and towing capacity. I hope there will be a GX550h+ (Prime PHEV), I'd for sure buy one.

Any idea if Toyota is going to do a PHEV on anything rose other than the NX?
Yes, RX 450h+ this August and TX 550h+ which might actually be a rocket, but horribly complex I imagine. 2025 ES remains to be seen, but extremely likely.
MrTorgue (04-01-23)
Old 04-01-23, 07:12 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Yes, RX 450h+ this August and TX 550h+ which might actually be a rocket, but horribly complex I imagine. 2025 ES remains to be seen, but extremely likely.
Does the TX slot between the RX and GX? Is it a Highlander with a Lexus badge?
Old 04-01-23, 07:14 PM
FMY421
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

TX will be based on Grand Highlander
Old 04-01-23, 11:30 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Ah, I forgot to mention what TX is. I forget many owners of higher end Lexus models have very busy lives LOL (JK).

This is TX.

2024 TX 550h+ and 2025 ES500h+?

Originally Posted by FMY421
TX will be based on Grand Highlander
Yes they are closely related, but I'd say it's vice versa. Allegedly the Lexus went into planning first just as RX-L came out, but Grand Highlander joined when it was obvious a larger CUV was needed in Toyota showrooms as well above the Highlander as an alternative to the Sequoia.

Grand Highlander was designated the Project Code 200D ​​​​​​and TX became Project 220D. Similarly 700B was the Land Cruiser 300 and 720B was the Lexus LX J310 during development. See a pattern?

I think 2024 GX is the project code 930D.
​​​​​​
MrTorgue (04-03-23)
Old 04-02-23, 09:30 PM
nesh
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m contemplating between getting an older GX, something like 2018 and riding it for few years or wait for 2024 version.
I will need to get one sometime this year, so not sure if I’d be able to get 2024 by December. at that point, I dont want to get ’22 or ’23 model and regret if I really love ’24 version.

The anticipation here is that the ’24 model won’t be available to purchase this year, right?
Old 04-03-23, 08:43 AM
gfcipriani
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Consider purchasing a current model Gen2 (2022 or 2023) that has the updated center stack (w/ apple CarPlay) and the v8 engine. When the new Gen3 model comes out, you can decide to sell / trade the Gen 2 and purchase the Gen 3. You will probably not loose much value on the Gen 2 - they have always held their value really well. I imagine this trend will continue as the v8 engine will most likely be in demand due to its scarcity. If you decide not to go with the 2024, then you have one of the last model years of the Gen 2. I think this minimizes your risk, albeit at some minor cost if you decide to trade the Gen2 for the Gen3.

Last edited by gfcipriani; 04-03-23 at 12:20 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by gfcipriani:
mikedallas (05-01-23), nesh (04-03-23), pacnwatx (04-03-23), RDLGX (04-11-23)

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion