GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

underwhelmed

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-19, 04:26 AM
jaime1982
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default underwhelmed

So we just considered trading out our current Lexus (2015gs350 Fsport) for a new 2019GX460with premium package in blk/blk. Am i the only one underwhelmed with the vehicle? this would be our 4th Lexus and 2nd Gx so we are very familiar with them, One thing i dont think i can get passed it the damn inst panel. It looks so dated and pixilated, looks so cheap. I cant imagine what it would look like 5 years from now.

Last edited by jaime1982; 04-06-19 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-06-19, 04:44 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jaime1982

So we just considered trading out our current Lexus (2015gs350 Fsport) for a new 2019GX460with premium package in blk/blk. Am i the only one underwhelmed with the vehicle? this would be our 4th Lexus and 2nd Gx so we are very familiar with them, One thing i dont think i can get passed it the damn inst panel. It looks so dated and pixilated, looks so cheap. I cant imagine what it would look like 5 years from now.
You don’t buy GX for the graphics on the screen...that’s for sure! My 2017 Sienna looks so much better. Oh well, if it bothers you that much then maybe GX is not for you.
Old 04-06-19, 05:32 AM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I didn't buy my 2019 for fancy graphics and bells/whistles. I bought it based on the proven platform and its history of reliability. It really boils down to what you are looking for in a vehicle. The GX is not for everyone...
Old 04-06-19, 05:44 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Take a look at the RX. It’ll give you the updated info screen and a slightly more modern interior design. It won’t be a truck like ride, but more of a car like ride. You can get it with the 2 extra seats in a third row if needed .
Old 04-06-19, 06:10 AM
jaime1982
Rookie

Yea i understand what yall are saying tech wise.I wonder if it has something to do with the AVG age demographics of the Gx sales? As far as the RX We didnt even consider. My wife has always had an suv (not crossover) and I prefer ( insist) it has 4wd and RWD in case i actually use it. I drive a tundra and want her vehicle to have almost the same capability as mine We live in Texas so beach, camping, hunting, weather and hauling crap with kiddos is always on our minds.

Only other suv id kinda consider is the T4r but shes already had a 2012 (traded in) and the 2019s are almost 50k for the limited 4wd. I may just keep her GS and tell her to live with it lol.
Old 04-06-19, 06:14 AM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Yea i understand what yall are saying tech wise.I wonder if it has something to do with the AVG age demographics of the Gx sales? As far as the RX We didnt even consider. My wife has always had an suv (not crossover) and I prefer ( insist) it has 4wd and RWD in case i actually use it. I drive a tundra and want her vehicle to have almost the same capability as mine We live in Texas so beach, camping, hunting, weather and hauling crap with kiddos is always on our minds.

Only other suv id kinda consider is the T4r but shes already had a 2012 (traded in) and the 2019s are almost 50k for the limited 4wd. I may just keep her GS and tell her to live with it lol.
I'm 35, so probably goes against this theory...

Also, I shopped around and Lexus dealers were actually offering the 2019 GX Premiums for less than loaded Toyota 4Rs. Kind of made the decision a no-brainer as I think the Lexus is a much nicer vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
RealMenDIY (12-22-22)
Old 04-06-19, 06:26 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Have you looked at the Land Cruiser or LX570? A certified pre owned would be around the GX460 premium/luxury pricing. I’m thinking a LC Or LX would be my next vehicle, but I currently don’t need “that much” of a vehicle yet.

The LC/LX share some of the same parts like the engine and similar underbody components as the Tundra. On a side note, I still can’t believe they didn’t add a keyless push start to the current Tundra.

They also come with the clam shell styled trunk instead of a swinging barn door like the GX.
Old 04-06-19, 06:32 AM
jaime1982
Rookie

Originally Posted by oksir83
I'm 35, so probably goes against this theory...

Also, I shopped around and Lexus dealers were actually offering the 2019 GX Premiums for less than loaded Toyota 4Rs. Kind of made the decision a no-brainer as I think the Lexus is a much nicer vehicle.
Im 37 lol, but i was just wondering. I bet that data is out there somewhere. Dealer is right around 50.5k for the GX premium so almost in line with the highest t4R. As of now we are not sure we are gonna take the deal.
We were 33(4 short years ago) when we got her current Gs, and in our late 20s when we bought her first Gx.
Old 04-06-19, 07:23 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

I don't think the design for GX (or Toyota LC Prado) is due to the age demographic, rather the company image for what LC Prado has been viewed and successful in world market. I am sure some of the technology used in mess market will eventually make its way to the GX, but the way how GX (Prado) marketed around world is far different than other models. The closest example that I can related would be MB's G-class SUV, it has been remained basically the same until 2019 model years had some significant change inside interior with some modern gauge clusters and center display (which borrowed from E-Class). In fact, not everyone welcomes the change.
Old 04-06-19, 07:43 AM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I’m also 37 and cross-shopped the 4Runner. Seems to be a common theme on this forum. I liked the interior refinement vs the 4R and coming from a Sequoia, I wanted another V8. The gearing/transmission in the 4R feel very sluggish to me when I drove it.
Old 04-06-19, 09:13 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

I agree with the inital post. It is disappointing. The GX is behind in regards to the MID and NAV, but otherwise I really like it. I wonder, is the same year model LX also this way? We have a 2015 GS (my car) and a 2015 GX (the wife's ride). The GS came first, so my expectations were that the same model year GX would have parity...so I didn't pay as much attention to some of the things as I should have. I don't think it would have changed our minds, but at least I wouldn't have been disappointed.

I think that the problem is that many of us expect a Lexus to be superior in almost every way compared to other manufacturers. Especially if you are coming over from an older model non-Lexus like we did. My wife's previous ride was a 2010 MB GL550. We knew the HP was going to be different, but otherwise assumed "the tech" would be better. Again, I really like the GX and have no plans on replacing it anytime soon. If only Lexus made a few small changes/additions it would be complaint free (for me, anyway). We actually LOST features when compared to my 2015 GS and/or 2010 MB GL. Things like being able to unlock the rear passenger doors from the handles, same from rear gate, etc. I cannot imagine that this would add much to the manufacturing cost, but sure would give it a more premium feel.
Old 04-06-19, 09:35 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

-No Lexus Suite of safety features unless you upgrade to the Lux. Even then the tech is 2 Lexus Safety Systems generation behind.
-Performance numbers for a V8 are bad
-Interior is dated for 2019 with flat silver and shiny wood.
-Instrument panel is dot pixel vs color
-6 speed
-Infotainment system is outdated, and some folks have had issues with newer devices interrupting the functionality of the nav system
-Interior has no Led Lights
-Cooled Seats are anemic
-Front seats show wear faster then other Lexus models
-Barn Door with nothing automatic
-270 degree camera vs 360. Sub HD resolution.
-No drive mode selector

Let me know if I missed anything.

If you want to buy a GX these should be your top priorities:

-Most reliable vehicle due to market age, and you plan to have this thing for over 5yrs+
-Alot of SUV for not a lot of money (during the summer premiums stickered at 57 were going for 44-45 new. )
-Pretty capable vehicle for towing, and dealing with harsh conditions

If not, any other vehicle is going to be better then this.

EDIT: Added climate options necessitate sometimes required the Touchscreen

Last edited by coolsaber; 04-06-19 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-06-19, 09:43 AM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
-No safety features unless you upgrade to the Lux. Even then the tech is 2 Lexus Safety Systems generation behind.
-6 speed
-Infotainment system is outdated, and some folks have had issues with newer devices interrupting the functionality of the nav system
-Cooled Seats are anemic
-No drive mode selector

-Most reliable vehicle due to market age, and you plan to have this thing for over 5yrs+
-Alot of SUV for not a lot of money (during the summer premiums stickered at 57 were going for 44-45 new. )

well said. Completely agree but still love the car.

One thing i would add is the climate control interface is somewhat annoying. I don’t like that it takes multiple touches to change fan speed.
Old 04-06-19, 09:49 AM
jaime1982
Rookie

Originally Posted by coolsaber
-No safety features unless you upgrade to the Lux. Even then the tech is 2 Lexus Safety Systems generation behind.
-6 speed
-Cooled Seats are anemic
-No drive mode selector

Last years models i assume? We looked at them in december and had a similar deal lined up. I asked why so much on the rebate and my sales dude said they had to many and maybe if i remember correctly there was a small change in the 2019 models
Old 04-06-19, 10:01 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,669 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Only changes for '19

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-changes.html

* Third-row headrest changed from leather or semi-aniline leather to NuLuxe on Premium Package and Luxury models.
* Voice Command microphone location has been changed from the overhead center console to the ceiling above the driver’s seat.
* Premium Packages in Black or Sepia colors changed to NuLuxeŽ interior trim
* Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert available as no charge option

Quick Reply: underwhelmed