GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Purchased A New 2018 GX460 Base - Price/Sales Data Inside

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-18, 12:38 AM
Kamber
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Purchased A New 2018 GX460 Base - Price/Sales Data Inside

Picked up a base 2018 GX 460 today from Sherwood @ Lexus of Towson (Maryland) for what I think was a pretty sweet deal. This particular dealership still has 3x additional Base 2018's; 1x Nebula Gray on Black and 2x Black on Black. Sherwood was a nearly brand-new sales man but a straight shooter none-the-less and super easy to work with; I wouldn't hesitate to go through him again and encourage anyone who may be interested in a vehicle from their dealership to give him a shot.

I was originally shooting to obtain a Premium at the infamous ~$45K price-point due to the sheer value; but I prefer NuLuxe over standard leather for longevity's sake and nearly all the '18 Premiums left in stock at this point have captains seating while bench seating makes a lot more sense for our family. Since the base model is ONLY available with bench seating and NuLuxe, my goal was to obtain one for ~$3,000 less than what I'd be comfortable paying for a Premium.

I saw that quite a few members here on the forums were able to achieve a negotiated price of $45,300 on a Premium in previous months when $4,000 Lexus Cash was being offered (big thanks to JDMUSCLE's thread!). Seeing as how the current offer is $5,000, my goal was to lock down a Premium for $44,300 pre-TTL & pre-Military-Rebate, or a Base for $41,300 pre-TTL & pre-Military-Rebate. I was able to ultimately get within $750 of my goal on a base (didn't really put any work into negotiating on Premiums as I preferred a Base model and was only going to look at Premiums if I couldn't find a Base for a suitable price-point); considering there are less and less 2018s with each passing day, I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

I know there are quite a few people also shopping around hoping to find a similar deal before the 2018's are gone, especially with the current offer of $5,000 Lexus cash, so I figured I would throw up my exact purchase details incase it helps anyone out!

2018 GX 460 Base:
- Nightfall Mica on Sepia NuLuxe
- 5 miles on the odometer
- Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires (I had a significant personal preference for Michelins over the Bridgestones. For those that don't know, both the Base and Premium have a chance at coming with either brand)

Options (pretty much as bare bones as it gets):
- All-weather floor mats /w all-weather cargo mat
- Preferred accessory package (trunk mat, cargo net, wheel locks)

MSRP (/w destination): $53,704
Negotiated price (/w doc fee): $41300 (includes $5,000 Lexus Cash as well as a $750 Military Rebate)
Tax: $3117 (6.625% NJ Tax -- I purchased the vehicle in Maryland, but it's being titled in NJ; both states require tax be paid on the purchase price BEFORE rebates are applied unfortunately)
Title & Registration fees: $391
Total price OTD: $45,558

Financing through Lexus Financial Services was required to obtain the $750 Military rebate; will be paying it off in full next week since there is no pre-payment penalty.

Will upload a copy of my invoice tomorrow; should be able to easily bring it in to your own dealership as a basis for negotiation.

A few notes:
- There was probably still $250-$500 left on the table if I had to guess. To be able to have achieved this I think I would have needed to visit multiple dealerships in order to get them to under-cut each other back and forth and possible wait another day until the very last day of the month (I made my purchase on November 29th, the second to last day of the month. I drove down to MD earlier this week with the intention of buying a car within 2 days and need to be back in NJ by the evening of the 30th, so it wasn't worth the hassle for me to squeeze the last few drops of juice.
- Im confident that my price-point is easily achievable anywhere in the DC, Maryland, Virginia area; I believe the NJ, NY, PA area will be a bit more difficult as there is less left-over 2018 inventory.
- At the time of this posting, there are 4x Premiums and 4x Luxury's remaining at Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly VA.
- At the time of this posting, there are 4x Bases, 4x Premiums, and 2x Luxury's remaining in Maryland spread across the following dealerships; Lens Stoler Lexus of Owings Mills, Lexus of Rockville, Lexus of Towson.

Good luck to those who are still on the hunt!

Last edited by Kamber; 11-30-18 at 02:26 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Kamber:
Craigyyy (11-30-18), ltsr (12-10-18), Nickk6 (11-30-18), Soap (11-30-18), Zahid (11-30-18)
Old 11-30-18, 10:24 AM
Zahid
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for sharing your information. This should help other people thinking 2018s.
Old 11-30-18, 02:24 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Awesome deal.. good luck with your new truck.
Old 12-10-18, 05:25 AM
gmitch04
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing Kamber. We just started looking for a L/Certified GX but I'm going to try and find a leftover '18. I searched for a while yesterday after seeing this but the '18 Premiums outside of Nebula or Starfire are hard to find. My wife's first choice is Nightfall like yours. How do you like the Sepia? I haven't been able to see it in person yet but it looks great in the brochure and Lexus stock photos.

Were the other dealers you spoke with as wiling to negotiate as Towson?
Old 12-10-18, 06:30 AM
Kamber
Driver School Candidate

Loving the Sepia; it was definetely our top pick as far as exterior and interior color combo goes. I was willing to settle for Starfire on Ecru though as it was a more common find and very elegant as well. iirc, Pohanka had a Premium in Nightfall/Sepia when i was buying, but it had captains seating. It may still be available; im sure you could get it down to ~$45K if so.

Yes, every dealership in the DMV area that I actually negotiatiated with was pretty much willing to come down to the same pricepoint in general .I obviously drilled a bit harder with the dealership i ended up purchasing from, but im sure i could have achieved the same pricepoint elsewhere on an identical car.
Old 12-10-18, 08:52 AM
gmitch04
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Kamber. Thanks for the reply. That was going to be out first choice with Ecru being the second. It seems like the Nightfall Mica is certainly less common.

I'm talking to Pohanka now but from the website it looks like the vehicle you're talking about may be gone. Fingers crossed though. Buying a new one for around 45k would be a great deal compared to what I've seen CPO units going for.
Old 12-10-18, 06:11 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamber
Loving the Sepia; it was definetely our top pick as far as exterior and interior color combo goes. I was willing to settle for Starfire on Ecru though as it was a more common find and very elegant as well. iirc, Pohanka had a Premium in Nightfall/Sepia when i was buying, but it had captains seating. It may still be available; im sure you could get it down to ~$45K if so.

Yes, every dealership in the DMV area that I actually negotiatiated with was pretty much willing to come down to the same pricepoint in general .I obviously drilled a bit harder with the dealership i ended up purchasing from, but im sure i could have achieved the same pricepoint elsewhere on an identical car.
congratulations on the great deal. So you’re located in Washington state, bought the GX in Maryland, and drove it to New Jersey?
Reason I’m asking is I’m contemplating a move to Washington (as a matter of fact, I’m typing this at Marriott hotel here in Seattle area looking for a place to build a new house.) and my wife wants a Discovery or GX460 after the move.
Just trying to get a feel for pricing up here.
BTW, I filled up at Shell in North Dallas for $1.85 a gallon and the lowest price here is $3.45...
Old 12-10-18, 07:19 PM
Kamber
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gmitch04
Hi Kamber. Thanks for the reply. That was going to be out first choice with Ecru being the second. It seems like the Nightfall Mica is certainly less common.

I'm talking to Pohanka now but from the website it looks like the vehicle you're talking about may be gone. Fingers crossed though. Buying a new one for around 45k would be a great deal compared to what I've seen CPO units going for.
I'm sure you can get down to that ballpark on a Premium. User UZ214 told me he had a black on black Premium at Len Stoler Lexus down to $47K, but that he was quite confident that had room to drop further to $46K (the sales rep he was in contact with was Gemma Boyce). I myself never got so far as talking prices on Premium with ANY dealership since I wanted the Base more and worked on that first and foremost; however, I was VERY confident in going down to Pohanka and achieving my desired pricepoint of ~$45K on a Premium if I did end up having to go with a Premium since at the time, they had something like 8 GX460's in stock, at least 4-5 of those being Premiums, which was more than any other DMV area dealership. Goodluck man, you got this!

Originally Posted by DallasLex

congratulations on the great deal. So you’re located in Washington state, bought the GX in Maryland, and drove it to New Jersey?
Reason I’m asking is I’m contemplating a move to Washington (as a matter of fact, I’m typing this at Marriott hotel here in Seattle area looking for a place to build a new house.) and my wife wants a Discovery or GX460 after the move.
Just trying to get a feel for pricing up here.
BTW, I filled up at Shell in North Dallas for $1.85 a gallon and the lowest price here is $3.45...

Yep, that's WA haha... 10% sales tax & gas that will make you think you're purchasing liquid gold. Sorry for the confusion, but I'm no longer located in WA; I used to be stationed there when I first made my account on this forum but I've recently moved back to NJ, hence why I purchased from MD and had to do TTL for NJ. I can tell you right now, it'll be a miracle for you to achieve anywhere NEAR the great deals you've seen discussed on this forum from a dealership in the state of WA. If you're not willing to consider out of state purchases, I'd highly recommend dealing with Lexus of Tacoma at Fife instead of the Seattle/Bellevue area Lexus Dealerships; the aforementioned must have such an easy time selling cars for absorbent prices that they don't care to play ball on deals at all, based off their reputation on these forums and some BMW forums that I frequent. You'll be MUCH better served looking for a car to purchase out-of-state and driving it back (CA, OR, and CO are all popular places for that). As a matter of fact, I recall someone saying they negotiated a ~$45K pricepoint from a CO dealership in JDMUSCLE's thread. Let me dig it up and quote it below so you can try to get in touch:

Originally Posted by JDM-V8FL
I almost bought with him but I found the same deal closer to me $45.300 premium
Good luck fellas!

Last edited by Kamber; 12-10-18 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 07:17 AM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamber
I'm sure you can get down to that ballpark on a Premium. User UZ214 told me he had a black on black Premium at Len Stoler Lexus down to $47K, but that he was quite confident that had room to drop further to $46K (the sales rep he was in contact with was Gemma Boyce). I myself never got so far as talking prices on Premium with ANY dealership since I wanted the Base more and worked on that first and foremost; however, I was VERY confident in going down to Pohanka and achieving my desired pricepoint of ~$45K on a Premium if I did end up having to go with a Premium since at the time, they had something like 8 GX460's in stock, at least 4-5 of those being Premiums, which was more than any other DMV area dealership. Goodluck man, you got this!

Yep, that's WA haha... 10% sales tax & gas that will make you think you're purchasing liquid gold. Sorry for the confusion, but I'm no longer located in WA; I used to be stationed there when I first made my account on this forum but I've recently moved back to NJ, hence why I purchased from MD and had to do TTL for NJ. I can tell you right now, it'll be a miracle for you to achieve anywhere NEAR the great deals you've seen discussed on this forum from a dealership in the state of WA. If you're not willing to consider out of state purchases, I'd highly recommend dealing with Lexus of Tacoma at Fife instead of the Seattle/Bellevue area Lexus Dealerships; the aforementioned must have such an easy time selling cars for absorbent prices that they don't care to play ball on deals at all, based off their reputation on these forums and some BMW forums that I frequent. You'll be MUCH better served looking for a car to purchase out-of-state and driving it back (CA, OR, and CO are all popular places for that). As a matter of fact, I recall someone saying they negotiated a ~$45K pricepoint from a CO dealership in JDMUSCLE's thread. Let me dig it up and quote it below so you can try to get in touch:

Good luck fellas!
Thank you! I’d definitely consider purchasing out of state. My other idea was to buy here in Dallas and ship it.