GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Radiator Questions and Comments

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-18, 11:41 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
Lightbulb Radiator Questions and Comments

So today I noticed some pink dried powder on the under carriage cover. I keep the truck super clean so I can tell if something has happened to it. Long story short please have a look at the pics. It's dropping very lightly where the top hose is connected.

Btw is the radiator replace a diy job or do I need to take it to a shop.
Attached Thumbnails Radiator Questions and Comments-photo39.jpg   Radiator Questions and Comments-photo964.jpg  
Old 06-30-18, 12:11 AM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts

Looks like its from the upper radiator hose. It may be the spring clamp has lost tension. I would suggest cleaning the pink stuff off and see if is coming from the hose.

Radiator replacement is a tedious job on the GX. I was planning on removing the radiator on mine to get the most room to remove the a/c compressor but just took of the fan and shroud and had plenty of room. The radiator is mounted on 4 rubber mounts and when you undo the nut and bolt on the other side spins with it which you can see or really get to with out removing stuff in between the radiator support and bumper. In my opinion it is not a DIY job.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (06-30-18)
Old 06-30-18, 11:17 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

I took it to my Indy for diagnostics and he suggested that it's the clamp cause after driving the truck 30 miles it was still dry and no sign of leaks anywhere on the radiator. I have Toyota dealership near my work will pick up 4Runner clamp later today. Thanks for the help.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (06-30-18)
Old 06-30-18, 12:44 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,561 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Never fun to have a problem but gotta love a cheap fix too!!!!!

OEM PN: 16400-38253

FSM mentions bumper cover removal on radiator replacement but reportedly not necessary if you use a deep socket and extension

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Lexu...7437512720683/

Last edited by Acrad; 05-30-21 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-30-18, 04:54 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Never fun to have a problem but gotta love a cheap fix too!!!!!
Yeap I see some pink powder around the same area again and today being Saturday dealership closed early I'm driving around with a gallon in the truck
Old 08-05-18, 11:59 AM
TheMick
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Dallasguy1, I just changed the oil on my 2010 GX and noticed the exact same thing. Pink coolant had dripped down and dried on the skid plate holes. When I traced the leak, I found it coming from an uncrimped seam right by the top hose pipe. Looks to be a poor design or flaw in manufacturing. I suspect the weak seam coupled with the Dallas summer heat caused the failure. I originally thought it was the hose clamp but found the actual leak once the hose was removed. My radiator is part number: 16400-38250 I noticed that Toyota now has three updates to the radiator as now the latest version is part number: 16400-38253. I hope the fixed the poor aluminum to plastic crimping that caused the leak in the 38250 radiator.
did you wind up replacing the radiator yourself? If not what shop did you use and how much did it cost?
BTW I'm in Dallas
Old 08-05-18, 02:57 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

I ended up changing the radiator, I didn't care much about the part number as I was buying new one from the dealer and had my mechanic put it on. It was 3 hour job open to close.
Old 08-05-18, 03:43 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
So today I noticed some pink dried powder on the under carriage cover. I keep the truck super clean so I can tell if something has happened to it. Long story short please have a look at the pics. It's dropping very lightly where the top hose is connected.

Btw is the radiator replace a diy job or do I need to take it to a shop.
How about pressure testing?
Old 08-07-18, 08:37 AM
TheMick
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys for the replies. Turns out the radiator leak was covered under my extended warranty (I had forgotten all about the warranty and my dear wife had the paperwork on it)...
I took it to the dealership and upon inspection and pressure test they confirmed the radiator leak and a Valley Plate coolant leak which was a slow leak from the valley plate gasket under the air intake manifold.
Good call Htony on the pressure test. I owe my wife a nice dinner for refreshing my memory on the extended warranty which just paid for itself on this repair.
Old 10-13-18, 10:26 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

Bumping this up. While doing an oil change just now, I noticed some pink crusties. Not as bad as the OP, but still noticeable. Going to take it to the local indy Lexus place here in Houston on Friday and get it pressure tested and then have them replace it if necessary. If it does need replacement, I think I will have them do the upper and lower hoses as well as the serp belt, tensioner, and idler pulley. While I'm usually pretty DIY-minded, it looks like it might be a pain in the ***.

Old 10-13-18, 10:30 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Romanova
While I'm usually pretty DIY-minded, it looks like it might be a pain in the ***.
I hear ya... me too and would probably do the same.
Old 10-13-18, 10:37 AM
Romanova
Racer

Investigated a bit further and it looks like it is actually coming out of the port for the upper hose.

Looking at the Denso replacement on Rock Auto, it looks like it would be fairly straight forward with the ports already being included for what I assume is the transmission cooler.

Still, I'm going to have a pressure test done and then go from there. I don't want to put it off and have a failure when my wife is driving. If it has started to fail, it's a bit disappointing as it is only 6 years old with 114k but in Texas, the heat takes its toll on everything, sooner or later.
Will update this thread once it goes in for diagnosis.
Old 10-13-18, 11:11 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I wonder how much AT fluid is in that internal cooler?

Old 10-13-18, 11:33 AM
Romanova
Racer

Looks pretty straight forward and I found some videos and writeups for people who did it on a LC and a GX470. Just not sure I want to mess with draining coolant and all of that. On the other hand, the Denso radiator is $144 plus shipping and then the cost of coolant. Even at the indy Lexus place, I'm sure it'll be closer to $600 out the door...
Old 10-13-18, 05:49 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Romanova
Investigated a bit further and it looks like it is actually coming out of the port for the upper hose.

Looking at the Denso replacement on Rock Auto, it looks like it would be fairly straight forward with the ports already being included for what I assume is the transmission cooler.

Still, I'm going to have a pressure test done and then go from there. I don't want to put it off and have a failure when my wife is driving. If it has started to fail, it's a bit disappointing as it is only 6 years old with 114k but in Texas, the heat takes its toll on everything, sooner or later.
Will update this thread once it goes in for diagnosis.
Mine is a 2012 and it happened right when it crossed 100k mark. Texas weather does the parts wear faster I guess.

Quick Reply: Radiator Questions and Comments