GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX460 Remote Engine Start (RES & RES+)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-14, 09:59 PM
iguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb 2014 gx remote start question

Is there any sort of setting the dealer can change to keep the vehicle running upon entering it after it has been remote started? It shuts off every time I open the door and get in. Dealer told me that's the way Lexus remote start works.
Old 02-08-14, 04:28 AM
Revnitup
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have asked my dealership they said no. If you find out something different or how to bypass I would love to know.
Old 02-08-14, 07:01 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

Nope, it's a security feature, it can be easily stolen otherwise.
Old 02-08-14, 11:35 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

That's why I didn't have it installed at the port on
either one of my GX 460's...
Old 02-08-14, 01:10 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

I wouldn't have a vehicle with automatic transmission without remote start. Winters it's great, summers it's great, spring and fall I don't use it that much.
Old 02-08-14, 02:48 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default I don't have use for it either.

Perhaps if I lived up North where it gets really cold for weeks. I could see using it then. The AC systems are so efficient, I'm not concerned down here without a pre-start.

Randy B
Old 02-08-14, 04:29 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

I have it but don't really use it since ours is garaged but when I did use it a few to times I thought it was terrible compared to an aftermarket one since it had terrible range. I don't care that it kills the engine when you open the door, what annoyed me was that I had to get relatively close to the vehicle to start it and it always took me a few tries to get it to work. At least it was only a $200 option at invoice price.
Old 02-08-14, 06:03 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I have used it a few times in cold weather and have noticed my truck is shut down when I go to it. Guessing 10 minutes is the cut off time? It is warmed up inside by then so no problem. Distance is a little frustrating when in a house with truck in the driveway.
Old 02-08-14, 09:13 PM
iguy
Driver School Candidate

The range of the remote start is about 40, maybe 50 yards max with a clear view of my vehicle. I really don't see how my vehicle is at a greater risk of theft since it remains locked after remote start and requires the key to be in the vehicle to continue running. I love my gx but the remote start is just totally ridiculous in my opinion. My other vehicle (jeep grand Cherokee overland) has remote start and it's awesome, no engine shut down on entry and at least triple the range. Too bad there isn't some sort of setting change or reprogramming that could be done to make the remote start exactly like my Cherokee.
The following users liked this post:
tonyjh63 (12-02-20)
Old 02-09-14, 12:16 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a compustar system and am getting it installed this week. -30F today and I'm sick of no remote start lol! I need range though.
Old 02-09-14, 10:38 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolrax
I bought a compustar system and am getting it installed this week. -30F today and I'm sick of no remote start lol! I need range though.
Maybe they can work around the issue with aftermarket install, not sure though! Let us know how it goes!
Old 02-11-14, 08:55 AM
Tnorling
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our Lexus remote start is truly a joke. I had an aftermarket remote start installed on my Infiniti; once you entered the vehicle, you had to insert the key prior to depressing the brake or the engine would shut off.
Old 02-11-14, 10:41 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tnorling
Our Lexus remote start is truly a joke. I had an aftermarket remote start installed on my Infiniti; once you entered the vehicle, you had to insert the key prior to depressing the brake or the engine would shut off.
All vehicles that I have had a "Key" to put in the ignition worked the same way, Push button start with no key seems to be the issue. The steering wheel locks with most "Key" type vehicles and that seems to be the issue for theft, open the door, break the shifter and you are gone. That's the reasoning that was given to me when I had my Viper installed to the factory system on my GX. I love the app on my phone so I can start it and monitor it anywhere that there is cell service, no distance issues for me.
Old 02-12-14, 04:19 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Nope, it's a security feature, it can be easily stolen otherwise.
I have heard this many times before and I am not buying it. The technology is there to remote start the vehicle, while it is warming up the doors are locked just like it was before the remote start operation, then when you touch the door handle it senses the key fob on your person (like it does normally), unlocks the door and allows you to get in and drive away. If no one opens door in 10 min, it shuts down and stays locked. If someone breaks window or forces door open while it is warming up, kill engine and engage alarm. The process is not hard or complicated, the vehicle is already programmed to do it all except all you have to do is add the remote start logic. There was a survey from Lexus about this topic a while ago and I stated all of this and also said the reason I am not interested in the current remote start options from Lexus is because it does not function this way....appears no one is listening.
The following users liked this post:
tonyjh63 (12-02-20)
Old 04-03-14, 08:34 AM
ZMushtaq
Driver School Candidate

Default New Remote Start Kit for GX 460 - Yr 2014

I bought the high end model in Saudi Arabia but it came without remote start . Now I found out that I can buy the remote start kit but I have just one doubt, is it going to work with this model?

Quick Reply: GX460 Remote Engine Start (RES & RES+)