GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Finally Got a GX!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-16, 01:41 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Talking Finally Got a GX!

I've been shopping for months now, and I finally bought a 2011 460 Premium this past week. I've been looking at the GX for a number of years and I had driven a new one last August in Monterey. Once I decided it was time to move from a sportscar to an SUV, I've been shopping 460s, 4Runners and admittedly *gasp* Jeep Wranglers. The one I found was clean and a previous Lexus CPO.

First impressions:

1) This thing is fast! Especially from a dig. After reading all the complaints, I had expected it to be pretty lethargic. I doubt I'll be running it hard but it's nice to know it can get out of its own way if I need it to.

2) Levinson sound is excellent. Definitely comparable to the individual audio in my last BMW.

3) Heated seats are nice, but a little weak. Cooled seats are great though. Heated wheel is immense.

4) Love the big tires and ground clearance. Already went off of a steep curb at an event and it was effortless.

5) All those pickups and SUVs that used to tower over me seem so small now.
Attached Thumbnails Finally Got a GX!-garage.jpg  
Old 03-07-16, 02:32 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 670 Likes on 591 Posts

Congrats to you on getting what you wanted!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-08-16, 06:55 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats, Enjoy!
Old 03-08-16, 07:14 AM
scriptkitt
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on your new whip!
Old 03-08-16, 12:05 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Thanks guys. I never knew tooling around in an SUV could be so satisfying
Old 03-08-16, 01:14 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Good to hear you like it.

That is why so many people are driving SUVs now. Feel the real road presence!

The previous owner probably broke in the vehicle right for you. I was told that it takes 30K miles to fully break in.
Old 03-08-16, 04:49 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations on the new ride.
Old 03-08-16, 06:14 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 820 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
I've been shopping for months now, and I finally bought a 2011 460 Premium this past week. I've been looking at the GX for a number of years and I had driven a new one last August in Monterey. Once I decided it was time to move from a sportscar to an SUV, I've been shopping 460s, 4Runners and admittedly *gasp* Jeep Wranglers. The one I found was clean and a previous Lexus CPO.

First impressions:

1) This thing is fast! Especially from a dig. After reading all the complaints, I had expected it to be pretty lethargic. I doubt I'll be running it hard but it's nice to know it can get out of its own way if I need it to.

2) Levinson sound is excellent. Definitely comparable to the individual audio in my last BMW.

3) Heated seats are nice, but a little weak. Cooled seats are great though. Heated wheel is immense.

4) Love the big tires and ground clearance. Already went off of a steep curb at an event and it was effortless.

If you learn how to manually shift it's pretty decent with power considering the weight . I do love my Cooled ventilated seats

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...abilities.html

Last edited by tecman; 03-08-16 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-08-16, 08:40 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by tecman
If you learn how to manually shift it's pretty decent with power considering the weight . I do love my Cooled ventilated seats

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...abilities.html
Yeah you just have to put your foot down. I'm coming from an E92 M3, whose V8 is not exactly known for its low end torque, and you really have to give it the beans and rev it out to feel the power. I think this truck actually has more torque.

A lot of American cars, and older cars in general, tend to have much more sensitive throttles, and feathering the throttle actually means barely touching the throttle, almost imperceptibly. So some people think this is somehow slow.

I haven't been on the highway a lot yet, but I'll have to remember the sport mode if I'm ever in a hurry.
Old 03-11-16, 07:46 PM
brxsilva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congrats

First impressions:

Congrats! Good to hear you really like your GX. I actually had a 2014 GX460 Luxury edition. Got Lexus to install a hitch too, but gave it up for a 2016 RX350.

I actually had some issues with my GX. It had a lean on the right side. Check out the forum for "IS YOUR GX460 LEANING?" I know it didn't have that problem when I drove it off the lot when I purchased it at Tustin Lexus in January of 2014. I finally started noticing the lean after 4 months. It was terrible...a $64K vehicle with a lean. So after complaining to my nearby Lexus dealership, they fixed it but it came back. Got tired of complaining so I just ignored it. Then Tustin Lexus called and asked if I would like to trade it in for another vehicle. Well, well...a blessing in disguise. I jumped at the chance and actually downsized to a 2016 RX350 with lower monthly payments and better gas mileage.. I could not have been happier. Reason we got the GX and the LX before the GX was that my youngest son liked the 3rd row seating. Now that he is 11 y/o and has grown a bit, he had now been sitting in the second row with the GX. So everybody wins.

Congrats again with your purchase.

Last edited by brxsilva; 03-11-16 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-11-16, 08:11 PM
Kitana
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I never knew tooling around in an SUV could be so satisfying
You can't get me back in a sports car. Congrats on the new toy.
Old 03-12-16, 08:07 AM
scriptkitt
Rookie

^^ I know what you mean. I can't imagine wanting to worry about crashing my rims on potholes and bottoming out in suburban driveways. I prefer just driving over anything I want.
Old 03-12-16, 08:09 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Congratulations on the new ride